• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I was in a check out line today and the guy in front of me had a 1911 in a shoulder rig. The gun was cocked and I hope locked. It was a sturdy rig not a cheap holster by any means. I carry daily and OC a lot my concern is this guy grabbed his gun several times. After a few times I politely asked him not to grab his gun anymore. He got defensive with me and I told him I have been looking down your barrel for the pat 5 minutes. Every time you grab it I try to get out of line but you keep twisting and sweeping every one around here. His reply was if you are afraid of guns don't buy one but it is my right to carry one. It wasn't worth starting something but we need to beware that I had a gun pointed at me today and the wearer grabbed it multiple times. When you run a horizontal Shoulder rig the gun is pointing backwards People behind you get a look down the barrel and when you grab it not knowing what your intentions are can be scary. Sometime we are our worst enemy.

Rant over.
    Carry on safely

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hate it when they will not stop touching the gun. Leave it the absolute hell alone unless you have to take it out of the holster. And yes I would have had words with him. More severe than you did.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I understand the feeling, but was getting out of that line not an option? Life it too short to spend it standing next to jack wagons.

Yea we could have moved line but I was shopping for a elderly person and needed trash stickers so I had to go to the register not the uscan. I saw the rig and didn't think anything about it till he grabbed the gun. The gal infront of him had to put her purchase on 3 or 4 different cards so it was a slow trans action. He wanted to escalate it but not in Walmart.
    I got behind him because custom leather and nice 1911 usually means they respect what they have.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yea we could have moved line but I was shopping for a elderly person and needed trash stickers so I had to go to the register not the uscan. I saw the rig and didn't think anything about it till he grabbed the gun. The gal infront of him had to put her purchase on 3 or 4 different cards so it was a slow trans action. He wanted to escalate it but not in Walmart.
    I got behind him because custom leather and nice 1911 usually means they respect what they have.

Possibly new gun owner...……?????

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Constantly touching the gun (indexing) is a sign of an inappropriate attitude toward going armed.
    The person needs constant reassurance that the gun is there. It's providing comfort much the same as a security blanket or a pacifier.
    I try to avoid insecure gun carriers.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I love how you politely call someone on something and they throw it on you yet they are the ones with hurt feelings. Its sometimes easier to remove yourself from the area instead of conversing with those types

This also proves my statement that just because Dad showed you to hunt squirrls doesn't mean you know how to carry a gun

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Each to His own..BUT..

I know you can, but to me, a shoulder rig with open carry would be kind of stupid...
    Lately I have been using my Galco horizontal rig due to a recent hip injury, but I would NEVER use it without a cover of some kind.

I guess?? that the good news is that this "Dude" was carrying top notch equipment???

It may?? have been wise to stand to the far one side or the other of a JackWagon like this??..Bill.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would have been great if you'd have whipped out your phone and taken some pictures to post here, so we'd all know who to watch out for.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    The guy should have known what he was doing was wrong. To not apologize and correct his issue is being a douchebag.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    During my time in the Army they outlawed horizontal shoulder holsters. I didn’t get the memo and felt like a a$# when called out about it by a Navy dude. Don’t touch your smoke pole unless your gonna use it.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012

Wait, um****** what?
    Just having a difficult time imagining how that all played out.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I know some will think my "judgemental" side is showing but open carrying in a shoulder rig is most likely someone seeking attention that has had little or no training. I've never attended training where shoulder holsters were accepted and I imagine it's because you are constantly sweeping yourself and others with your draw stroke.
    Maybe someone more well versed in the law can chime in but I believe Indiana code says pointing an unloaded pistol at someone is a misdemeanor and if it is loaded it's a felony. I can't picture what you mean when you say he was grabbing it?
    If it's not illegal I think everyone would agree that the optics of the situation is horrible and that reflects on all gun owners. I would have found another line or did a little more shopping until Mr. "you're afraid of guns if you don't like one pointed at you" cleared the area.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    That's the reason I've never been comfortable with a horizontal rig. I have an old leather vertical shoulder rig that I have worn often in jacket or coat weather. It's both comfortable and comforting. I've also found that how often a person touches their gun seems to be inversely proportional to how much experience they have carrying. The longer you carry the less you feel the need to reassure yourself that it's "still there".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 3 shoulder rigs. One is as we are discussing and I have never been comfy with it and never wear any of them as OC. That is just way too "LOOK AT ME I AM A BAD A$$"

If I can wear something over it comfy like then OK but not "Billy Bad A$$" style.

Not one for a drop leg holster either but I am starting to see them on occasion. Usually younger guys.
    JMHO of course.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have 3 shoulder rigs. One is as we are discussing and I have never been comfy with it and never wear any of them as OC. That is just way too "LOOK AT ME I AM A BAD A$$"

If I can wear something over it comfy like then OK but not "Billy Bad A$$" style.

Not one for a drop leg holster either but I am starting to see them on occasion. Usually younger guys.
    JMHO of course.

While an open carry shoulder rig is them screaming "I'm a badass" a drop leg is them screaming "I'm a badass operator". I much prefer to stay in the gray.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    IWB carry a 1911 or a CZ-97. You can see just enough of it but it does not broadcast.
    If and when I convince myself that I'm once again qualified to carry it will be a full size like the Redhead or the Ghost in the shoulder rig when it's cold and the Street Grill in a covered owb in the summer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If and when I convince myself that I'm once again qualified to carry it will be a full size like the Redhead or the Ghost in the shoulder rig when it's cold and the Street Grill in a covered owb in the summer.

I have been tempted to remove the light from the Shadow and IWB it as it is just a freaking machine with "Lotsa" Boolitz in it but it is one that CKW knows how to run and she likes the light for obvious HD reasons. I have a few of those scattered about for her. (9mm CZ's)

Top Bottom