• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    If you decide to carry IWB, do you put on pants that are 1-2 sizes bigger than your waist? Does that mean shopping for pants with your IWB to get the right fit?

And is there a separate wardrobe for IWB versus OWB? Seems like a big pain---all your pants are 1 or 2 sizes too large and you have to wear belts all the time.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    My waist is about 34" and I buy Wrangler carpenter pants and Wrangler cargo pants. I buy 34"waist and I wear IWB holster and a Glock 17. Fits me well. If I carried IWB at the office I would wear a 35" or 36" waist in dress slacks. Thankfully, my office attire has been shoved to the back of the closet.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’ve found that it depends. I’ve been losing weight and I can now fit into 34’s. When I first found that I could “fit” in them, carrying IWB was not comfortable. They were snug without a holster but not uncomfortable. But when I squeezed a IWB holster in there...ehhh...I got the 36s back out of the closet and that was much more comfortable.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Depends on the pants of course, but I really like Prana "Zion Stretch" Convertible.
    They have plenty of pockets and plenty of room and are very durable.
    The only thing that changed,(and of course they couldn't leave them alone) is the cargo pockets are
    slightly shorter now so my freaking 5.7" phone doesn't stay in as well as my older pairs.
    I have some in my normal size and some one size larger.
    The type of IWB holster will make a difference too obviously. I recommend Comp-tac Minataur. FWIW

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I use a king tuck IWB holster and wear a 32" waistband. My older jeans have plenty of room, slightly stretched? IDK. Newer pants are a little tighter but still doable, this is with a Glock 43.
    Anything bigger is OWB

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    If you decide to carry IWB, do you put on pants that are 1-2 sizes bigger than your waist? Does that mean shopping for pants with your IWB to get the right fit?

And is there a separate wardrobe for IWB versus OWB? Seems like a big pain---all your pants are 1 or 2 sizes too large and you have to wear belts all the time.

Yeah carry and non carry sizes may be the order of the day. I don’t see requirement of a belt being an issue? Especially if you go owb you going to need a belt regardless.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I don't buy a bigger size pant to carry IWB and I've carried that way for years. I've found for me the belt is the most important part of comfortable and secure carry - IWB or OWB. And I go both ways. :@ya:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I couldn't imagine owning any pants that you couldn't get an IWB holster in? :dunno:

I made the mistake of buying a pair of Vertx Defender jeans on a big sale at LAPG. Another pair came pretty quick, now no more 2A hating Levi's cover this butt. :twocents:

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I've worn 34x34 pants most of my life. Started getting bigger and ended up in 36x32. Decided that 36x32 is not a comfortable size for me. I started doing cardio 6 days a week a couple years ago and i'm back down to 34x34 pants. I still wear the 36x32 pants when carrying inside the waistband. Outside the waistband holsters are awesome for construction work less pain or pressure on the body when crawling under a house. Inside the waist band holsters get caught up under houses on floor joists or pipes when tucked at 4 o clock. Outside the waist band do fine under houses running plumbing and security camera cable. Don't buy bigger pants you'll grow to fit them if your not carrying every time you wear them. I work at Subaru in Lafayette been off work due to the virus. My old construction background has come back and demanded all my attention now that I'm off work and being paid by someone else.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Wore 32x32 most of my adult life. When I hit 50 and stopped racing they started getting a little snug and about the same time I started carrying a P238 IWB at about 4:30. Found that 33x32 fit well now. While I would like to blame the gun for the size increase I think it was like the fork’s fault.

Try it with your current pants and see how it works. Then you should know if you need an extra inch or two. Probably depends on the gun and holster too. As someone else noted, get a good belt.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Just to be clear, I don't think he's talking about the stretchy Yoga pants. Those will print, and may also get you some unwanted attention. :):

Thanks jwright. There are levis, wrangler etc that have an added fabric that allows them to stretch out especially around the waist and inseam. Aging is not kind either so more room is better without feeling like your wearing a tent.
    I can carry a compact quite comfortably. A good belt is the anchor.

Top Bottom