• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BKahuna

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I've been carrying for about 5 years now, and just realized that one of my procedures may not be the right way to go about things.
    I'm allowed to carry at work, but often have to enter client's businesses, and have been asked, by my employer, to disarm when entering a customer's site. When I do this, I pull gun and holster off my belt with gun still in holster, and store it in the center console of my vehicle. When I'm done working there, I'll put it back on the belt the same way it comes off. Gun holstered.

At home, when I get ready for bed, I do the same, and leave my gun holstered on my nightstand.
    Is this a bad practice? I get that if I need it during the night, it will take two hands to make it ready, but just seems safer to leave it holstered. Thoughts?

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    Tons of questions will come. Do you live alone? Who else may have access to your firearm while laying it upon the night stand? Are you a sound sleeper? In your opinion, what are the chances a perp might get to you before you wake up? These are just a few of the questions. Personally, I'm against leaving a firearm visible next to me while in slumber, but it is easily accessible with minimal effort and can be done so one handed. Sometimes secure doesn't necessarily mean locked up. Leaving a firearm holstered is "safe" when not in use, but you need to ask for whom?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Tons of questions will come. Do you live alone? Who else may have access to your firearm while laying it upon the night stand? Are you a sound sleeper? In your opinion, what are the chances a perp might get to you before you wake up? These are just a few of the questions. Personally, I'm against leaving a firearm visible next to me while in slumber, but it is easily accessible with minimal effort and can be done so one handed. Sometimes secure doesn't necessarily mean locked up. Leaving a firearm holstered is "safe" when not in use, but you need to ask for whom?

Good points, all.
    In my case, I leave my handgun on the table beside me as I sleep, but I am the only human in the house, and there's not a snowballs chance in Hades that a perp might get to it before I wake.
    I have 3 dogs, and NOTHING gets by them, at least not all three.
    They even bark at my family members coming to visit.

A squirrel a block away will set them off, as will someone walking their dog, even a block away.
    If the wind blows a tree limb that brushes the house, they bark. If the phone rings, they bark...

Best early warning system ever built, 3 sets of ears, with outstanding hearing, and attitudes to match.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    You are doing good OP. hazard is holstering and unholstering.
    Agreed. I practice the same procedure at home, unless the firearm is going to be triple checked and placed back into the safe. My EDC is left in the holster AT ALL TIMES, unless it is going to the safe, inspected, or be fired.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    +1 on leaving in the holster, although I might be inclined to suggest adding some secure in-vehicle storage if you have to leave it there often. Can be as inexpensive as a cabled steel box.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    For me, gun comes out of holster. Placed on nightstand. Holster goes to holster drawer.

In the middle of the night I have zero interest in wasting time unholstering.
    The girlfriend and I are the only humans in the house.

BKahuna

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    INDIANAPOLIS
    You are doing good OP. hazard is holstering and unholstering.

Agreed. I practice the same procedure at home, unless the firearm is going to be triple checked and placed back into the safe. My EDC is left in the holster AT ALL TIMES, unless it is going to the safe, inspected, or be fired.
    Thanks for the confirmation, guys.

It's just me, my wife, and 17 year old son. The wife won't touch any of my guns unless she has to. Can't get her to come to the range with me. The son knows gun safety, and is familiar with firearms operation. He knows not to mess with it, and to consider them loaded at all times.

I've just read some things lately that described putting your empty holster on your belt, then holstering your gun, and unholstering at night before bed. Perhaps certain holster setups might require this, but my holsters all clip onto the belt, and are relatively easy to remove. All that unholstering/holstering seemed dangerous.

I wasn't raised in a family with guns, so sometimes I'll ask stupid questions to make sure I'm not straying too far from the right path.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer to.

For me when putting up a weapon I always practice a speed draw. It's just like dry firing, practice, practice, practice. As for re-holstering I don't put the gun in the holster unless the holster is where I'm wearing it; that's good practice too but unlike needing a fast draw if the situation merits you almost always have the rest of your life to holster it right.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My EDC stays in the holster when I take my belt off/put it back on. Just reduces the risk of the trigger getting snagged on something (including my finger). Night stand gun stays in the drawer of the night stand (I live alone) and only comes out at night when I go to bed. Because of the light, I don't have a holster for it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Never saw an issue removing the pistol from the holster. If you pay the heck attention.
    EDC goes into its spot. EDC knife next to it. Holster is removed and goes into its spot. Same drill every day.

Top Bottom