• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Need some Personal Experiences & Advice: Planning a Family Vacation in the Fall. Plan to Fly (Commercial) out West (MT, SD, WY, etc). Not Hunting, just Seeing the Sights. Would prefer to take a Pistol for PPE & wondering just how much of a hassle it is. Done my homework on CCL Regs in those States along with Airline & TSA Regs. Looking for some input from anyone that has Flown Commercial with firearm(s) & ammo in their Ck'd Luggage. BTW, I'm Not Law Enforcement, so that part of the Regs do not apply. Thanks in advance for any Experiences or Suggestions.

Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    I flew Denver to Chicago, had a 22 rifle, checked it and everything was fine until I landed and it came out with every body else’s bags in the baggage claim, and went around a few times with people awkwardly looking around to see who would grab it. My case was also missing a latch. Other than that everything was smooth. As previously stated, don’t take something nice

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Flown in and out of Chicago IL, Peoria IL, Fort Wayne IN, Indianapolis IN and some Florida airports. Never any problems with any of them.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    It's been several years since I have flown and brought a gun along.

Check the airline web page, they will have the guidelines (TSA BS and the airline) for flying with a gun in checked baggage. Some require a separate locked case for the gun. Some require ammunition be stored in a separate (from the gun) box.

Print a copy of the rules from the airline's web page. Many of the agents don't know anything.

Be prepared for them to (possibly) ask that you open the suitcase so they can "check" the weapon. No, they don't know what they're looking at, just smile and nod at them. :whistle:

Be prepared for them to (possibly) ask that you stay at the counter until the bag has actually been loaded onto the plane. I've had them ask me, once, to come to the baggage area to open the case.

Check to see is your insurance policy will cover theft while in the possession of the airline. I've never had one stolen but I have heard of that happening.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The only time I might not take a handgun when flying in the U.S. is if connecting through NY or NJ. If your connecting flight gets cancelled, there've been some high profile "difficulties" in the news (i.e. people that have gotten tagged when receiving their baggage for their layover).

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I forgot to add. I usually field strip the gun and put cable locks through the upper and lower (or slide and frame) to try and discourage anyone tempted to "play with it" or steal it. If they look in and it isn't immediately recognizable as a gun (not to the same level as an assembled one) then I hope it is a slight deterrent.

One time that I flew the ticketing agent asked me to open the case so they could "inspect" it. It was stripped and disassembled with cable locks. When they looked in they said "oh" and just paused for a few seconds like it wasn't what they were expecting. I just smiled and nodded.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I've flown in and out of several places to include Seattle and no problems. I was stationed in MT and SD and you won't get any grief there.

Just declare it you might of might not have to show them it's clear (depends on ticket agent) place the signed card in case and that's it. I have the ammo in a factory box inside the pistol case. Mags unloaded. And I place it inside my checked luggage. I use my own locks and retain the only key on my person.

Usually you will ha e to go to the baggage office to blame at th our destination.

Side suggestion don't rely on the factory pistol case as they are easily manipulated and some might not pass TSA muster. Get a decent travel pistol case from any reputable gunstore.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Need some Personal Experiences & Advice: Planning a Family Vacation in the Fall. Plan to Fly (Commercial) out West (MT, SD, WY, etc). Not Hunting, just Seeing the Sights. Would prefer to take a Pistol for PPE & wondering just how much of a hassle it is. Done my homework on CCL Regs in those States along with Airline & TSA Regs. Looking for some input from anyone that has Flown Commercial with firearm(s) & ammo in their Ck'd Luggage. BTW, I'm Not Law Enforcement, so that part of the Regs do not apply. Thanks in advance for any Experiences or Suggestions.

Harbor Freight has durable cases for just a little coin.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=case

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Put in a TSA lockable case with your lock on it, contact information with cell phone number on it taped to case. Put into suitcase with TSA locks on it, tell check-in there is a gun in suitcase, this keeps TSA from cutting the locks off if they want to check it. My ammo goes into another pistol case locked in another suitcase. 2 checked bags but can be in one checked bag. Pistol and magazines must be unloaded. If you end up in NEW YORK or NEW JERSEY drive to an airport outside of the state to fly. Do not have hollow point ammo in New Jersey. I fly East of the Mississippi several times a year.

Last edited:

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Put in a TSA lockable case with your lock on it, contact information with cell phone number on it taped to case. Put into suitcase with TSA locks on it, tell check-in there is a gun in suitcase, this keeps TSA from cutting the locks off if they want to check it. My ammo goes into another pistol case locked in another suitcase. 2 checked bags but can be in one checked bag. Pistol and magazines must be loaded. If you end up in NEW YORK or NEW JERSEY drive to an airport outside of the state to fly. Do not have hollow point ammo in New Jersey. I fly East of the Mississippi several times a year.

DO NOT put TSA locks on a firearm case. They have no right to open the case without you being present. TSA locks on your luggage is fine.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I will add Delta (and maybe others) will put a zip tie on either the gun case OR in my case as I place it inside my Luggage that the handgun is in SO keep allowed nail clippers to get into it.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Harbor Freight has durable cases for just a little coin.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=case
    I flew with a sidearm for the first time this past October and used a HF Apache case. Totally passed inspection with it. Airports: Indy, Las Vegas, Albuquerque. No problems at all. The process was just a little different for each. Indy: check it in at ticketing, wait for clearance after going through security. Albuquerque: check in at ticketing but wait at ticketing for the go ahead.
    It is rather strange I think for all the hub-bub at check in but you firearm comes out with everyone else's baggage upon landing.
    Don't forget this is a good way to "lock down" other valuables as well; jewelry, photography stuff.... just put it in with the firearm's package.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I've flown probably a dozen times and never had an issue. Every airport is a little different in my experience but just declare it at the counter and you'll be fine. I've always just used a glock case with a cable lock wrapped around the handle several times. Except for my rifle, she get's a nice Pelican case.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    DO NOT put TSA locks on a firearm case. They have no right to open the case without you being present. TSA locks on your luggage is fine.

He said the same thing, just in a different way:

Put in a TSA lockable case with your lock on it..

I always use a locking case and then one of those down-the-barrel gun locks with a built in cable to lock the case to the inner framework of the suitcase. Keeps someone with a TSA key from opening it and just snatching the case, they'll at least need tools or to spend the time to break my luggage.

I've flown a couple different airlines with a pistol, never an issue. I really liked the lady at El Paso airport's SouthWest desk. Probably 65 years old and she tried to pry it open with her hands at the corners and said "if I can get it open, anyone can." When it didn't pop open she declared it GTG and I went on my way.

I've never had the TSA request to look in the case. When I fly I typically take a revolver and I put a lock through the frame so the cylinder won't close. If I fly with a semi-auto I break it down into two parts and the slide goes in one foam cut out, the frame in another, magazines in another. It's readily apparently they are not in a condition to fire that way. Probably overkill, but I like to be hassle free.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    He said the same thing, just in a different way:

I always use a locking case and then one of those down-the-barrel gun locks with a built in cable to lock the case to the inner framework of the suitcase. Keeps someone with a TSA key from opening it and just snatching the case, they'll at least need tools or to spend the time to break my luggage.

I've flown a couple different airlines with a pistol, never an issue. I really liked the lady at El Paso airport's SouthWest desk. Probably 65 years old and she tried to pry it open with her hands at the corners and said "if I can get it open, anyone can." When it didn't pop open she declared it GTG and I went on my way.

I've never had the TSA request to look in the case. When I fly I typically take a revolver and I put a lock through the frame so the cylinder won't close. If I fly with a semi-auto I break it down into two parts and the slide goes in one foam cut out, the frame in another, magazines in another. It's readily apparently they are not in a condition to fire that way. Probably overkill, but I like to be hassle free.
    I put the cable through the gun case lock hole and wrap it around the frame of the collapsible pull handle, just slice the fabric liner. Loaded magazines travel in same case as gun so as soon as I get my luggage I either stop by the restroom and load up or do it at the car rental.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I pack in a hard shell case with several unloaded magazines, boxes of ammo, and handgun in same case. Show up 30 minutes earlier than I would, declare firearm when checking in. Half the time they are cool. Half the time, they want you to point out the case in your bag without drawing attention. Ha! But never had an issue.

Top Bottom