• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've dabbled with appendix carry over the years and have not yet attained the same physical comfort level as strong side IWB/OWB for me.

For those of you who appendix carry, how would you compare the comfort of minimalist IWB setups (examples: like the Raven Vanguard [1], the Fricke Zacchaeus [2], or Philster Skeleton [3]), to more "full-bodied" purpose-build appendix carry rigs?

[1] - https://rcsgear.com/vanguard-minimalist-iwb/
    [2] - https://dalefrickeholsters.com/product/zacchaeus-concealment-holster/
    [3] - [url]https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop/phlseter-skeleton-holster/

[/URL]

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    For at least 10 years I have carried a Glock 19/19X, using the Vanguard minimalist.

For the first couple years I switched back and forth between the vanguard and a Dale Fricke Archangel (a full wraparound holster). I found the Vanguard to be more comfortable than the Archangel and some other IWB holsters I tried.

One of the things that makes the Vanguard more comfortable is that it allows the pistol to adjust a bit as I move, sit down, etc. I think most people try to lock the holster into a rigid position so the gun will be exactly in the same place whenever they draw, but I found that when I was doing some serious SD training (and getting knocked on my kiester doing it), even tightly strapped down holsters could get moved, and they are uncomfortable as well. If you've trained yourself to reach for the pistol at exactly the same position, and it's not there, it can disrupt your reaction. I trained using the Vanguard and the Archangel, and learned to deal with things being shifted around a bit (generally just the cant -- it doesn't slide back and forth on the belt).

The other thing that makes it more comfortable is that there isn't an half-inch of kydex and attachments between pants and body, just the gun itself. It's as flat and concealable as it's ever going to get. I live in Texas and I get a chance to perspire, sometimes quite heavily, every day during the summer (which starts in April and ends in November), and the Glock finish has repelled all assaults.

Last year after I got the 19X I added a "wing" to the Vanguard, and that improved its positioning and surprisingly, its comfort, a LOT. The 19X has a bigger grip, essentially the G17 grip, and it was causing the pistol to move around a bit and stick out. The wing fixed that and did not add any bulk. I recommend you try it, it doesn't cost that much, $10 or so (Looks like RCS calls it a "claw"). Especially when the Vanguard is only about $35.

Thems my 2 cents.

Oh, two more pennies:

I had a lot of friends who used the Zack with the lanyard and they really liked it. I was not as keen on the length of pull it took to yank the holster off the trigger, which led me to look around and find the Vanguard. I am a short person and I have short arms so I think I was a bit cramped using the Zack. However most of my AIWB friends used the Zack.

The Zack and the Vanguard have the added advantage that since you put them on the handgun, then put the handgun inside your pants, the trigger is completely covered as it goes in. I think this is an added safety feature when you're putting a muzzle that close to body and bits.

One more penny: Although untucked shirt is the optimal concealment attire for the vanguard, it does allow you to tuck a shirt in if need be. You can make that work with the Zack, but it doesn't look like to me that the Phlster is tuckable, but I've never seen one in person so I might be wrong. I am fortunate that an untucked polo is my daily work and play attire, but on those occasions I have to put on a shirt and tie I don't need to come up with a different holster to tuck in my shirt.

Last edited:

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I've dabbled with appendix carry over the years and have not yet attained the same physical comfort level as strong side IWB/OWB for me.

For those of you who appendix carry, how would you compare the comfort of minimalist IWB setups (examples: like the Raven Vanguard [1], the Fricke Zacchaeus [2], or Philster Skeleton [3]), to more "full-bodied" purpose-build appendix carry rigs?

[1] - https://rcsgear.com/vanguard-minimalist-iwb/
    [2] - https://dalefrickeholsters.com/product/zacchaeus-concealment-holster/
    [3] -
    https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop/phlseter-skeleton-holster/

It's extremely subjective. Honestly you're just going to have to try holsters until you find one that works for you. I find minimalist type holsters to be less comfortable IMO, pointy muzzle poking you in the leg and groin. Well made full bodied holsters can eliminate hot points and provide better comfort and concealment with wedges built in. Back when I used to make my own it was easy to tweak them to my liking. Now that I have to buy them I've used JM Custom which was great and I have a Tier 1 on the way . I think part of it is just getting used to it. I've been carrying AIWB for like 8 years now and can't stand carrying behind the hip and sitting on a gun now.

Last edited:

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    It seems like body type plays a big part in this. In today's day and age of political correctness dare I say: those with more of themselves to contain in a belt seem to find AIWB hard to make work. :): :stickpoke:

I found the Vanguard nice for running out for a quick errand. It seemed to allow too much movement to have a consistent draw when I wore it all day. Good retention.

I like the Keepers Concealment but don't like the cost when there are so many options out there.

The VELO GEN4 AIWB Holster is solid gold, It pulls the grip of the gun into your body for better concealment and allows you to have the pistol ride high for a better initial grip when drawing, or lower for more concealment.It keeps the pistol in place consistently. Good retention.

Currently I am using a WML and like what the Philster offers. It also pulls the grip into your body and allows for adjustable ride height. Stays in place consistently. Good retention.

You probably know that there is some discomfort with wearing a pistol and it's just getting used to it. What's the old saying? A pistol is meant to be comforting, not comfortable. :):

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I suspect I’m bigger than most here, and I’ve carried AIWB for several years. As long as your pants actually fit, it’s quite doable.

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    I haven't had any experience with the minimalist holsters like the Vanguard so I can't say anything about them, but I can make the very obvious statement that my PHLster Spotlight takes up more space in my pantaloons than my Incog did with the same gun (minus light obviously) and therefore restricts my movement a little bit more. Switching from wearing my pants normally to raising my belt line a little bit (not more than an inch) over the years has had the biggest impact on increasing my comfort with the gun, though that may not be an option for everyone.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I can’t speak to the minimalist holsters but I have carried with a Dale Fricke Archangel for years. I carry a full-size Beretta Elite LTT and it is very comfortable and concealable. Whatever holster you get having a claw and wedge are key. And of course a good belt.

I believe Dale Fricke calls his wedge the “extra girth adapter”. It helps with comfort and pushes the muzzle away from your body. The claw helps tuck the butt of the gun into your body.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've been doing the same and have tried multiple holsters from multiple makers from cheap to fairly expensive. I even tried modifying a few after getting them to make them more comfortable. In the end the best and most comfortable holster I've found for me and my body type (5'11" ~200#) is the Desantis sof-tuk 2.0. $20 at Midwayusa right now and I have two one for my G26 and one for my Kahr K9. The G26 holster fits all my 9mm Glocks even my 17 fairly comfortably. A close second is the Bravo Concealment Torsion but the kydex pokes my belly at the appendix position when I sit down so it stays at 3:00. That's the same problem I've had with every kydex holster I've tried appendix.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

To sum up appendix carry...I DON'T! If other people want to do it, that's fine, but as a life-long rule, I never allow the business end of a firearm to come in line with a part of my body that I intend to protect and keep with me!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    To sum up appendix carry...I DON'T! If other people want to do it, that's fine, but as a life-long rule, I never allow the business end of a firearm to come in line with a part of my body that I intend to protect and keep with me!

LkmtY1j.gif

Ah yes,we can put this argument up there with the OC debate as well....

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

Ah yes,we can put this argument up there with the OC debate as well....

As a former volunteer EMT of 24 years, I've seen + heard of a few wounds association with Appendix carry...99% due to one having the booger finger on the trigger while drawing, mostly while doing drills, and 'BANG'!
    Appendix carry results in one having a tendency to draw the weapon while increasing the angle of the barrel more towards the body while extending or lengthening the distance between the trigger and the hand and, if one has firm pressure on the trigger, can result in an 'accidental discharge'...with the barrel pointed towards a body part.
    All the wounds I've seen + heard about, were into the outer + frontal part of the upper leg (none were life-threatening and with light calibers, .32acp and .380acp) but were definitely incapacitating in one's ability to move quickly to evade an aggressor or egress and area quickly.
    Just my $0.02 worth based on experience....
    Not sayin' one cannot do it, but understanding that it comes with increased risk!
    Me, personally, it's not for me based on my experience as well as my personal preference to carry OWB in the 4:00 position.
    Be educated and carry wisely! :)

Last edited:

Jones1776

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2020
    fort wayne
    I really like my nsr holster for my glock 19 with surefire xc1, its comfortable for me, I have wore it on 8 hour road trips several times. Appendix carry biggest advantage to me is how much faster it is to draw and be on target. If you go to a training class the aiwb guys will always be the fastest

Top Bottom