Almost lost my older brother last week...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    My older brother, Larry, is a retired Illinois state trooper and a real firearms enthusiast. He's now a private detective and has a side gig providing CCW classes just west of Chicago. He's one of those guys you'd want on your side when the ball drops.

Last week he was shopping in a newly re-opened gun store by his home. There was a guy buying new magazines for his pistol with his side turned to Larry. He wanted to know if they fit properly, so he took the pistol out of his shoulder holster and gave it to the clerk. The sales clerk did his job properly, clearing the handgun before trying the mags. He reloaded it, and gave it back to the guy to reholster in the shoulder holster.

You probably know where this is going already.

The guy did a quarter turn, putting his back to Larry, and then BANG, the gun goes off. Fortunately for all, the holster was rigged to point downwards instead of straight back. The guy managed to graze his hip and the ricochet went into his lower leg.

Larry said it will give him one more story to tell his CCW students. :rolleyes:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This. I will just never understand this.

He said he had a new story to tell. It would be keep your finger off the trigger unless you are ready to fire. Didn't an Indiana police chief do something similar not to many years ago. Shot himself reholstering?
    When that happens its usually because the finger is inside the trigger guard when they reholster. Or in the chiefs case his shirt iirc. Sorry for the half ass reply earlier I forgot people can't read my mind.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    This. I will just never understand this.

It's not you that doesn't understand CM it's the Maroons that can't keep their finger off the trigger.

WAIoh2d.jpg

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    +1 for shoulder holsters.

They are awesome because guys used to use them on television shows I used to watch.

I had one and threw it in on a deal at a gun shop because I could not figure out how to holster without pointing my handgun at the world in general.

+1 also for "dicking around with your gun in public". Gunshops are a great place to draw a holstered firearm, wave it around some, rack the slide, drop the mag, insert another mag, chamber a round, reholster, all great things to do at the local gunshop!

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    My older brother, Larry, is a retired Illinois state trooper and a real firearms enthusiast. He's now a private detective and has a side gig providing CCW classes just west of Chicago. He's one of those guys you'd want on your side when the ball drops.

Last week he was shopping in a newly re-opened gun store by his home. There was a guy buying new magazines for his pistol with his side turned to Larry. He wanted to know if they fit properly, so he took the pistol out of his shoulder holster and gave it to the clerk. The sales clerk did his job properly, clearing the handgun before trying the mags. He reloaded it, and gave it back to the guy to reholster in the shoulder holster.

You probably know where this is going already.

The guy did a quarter turn, putting his back to Larry, and then BANG, the gun goes off. Fortunately for all, the holster was rigged to point downwards instead of straight back. The guy managed to graze his hip and the ricochet went into his lower leg.

Larry said it will give him one more story to tell his CCW students. :rolleyes:

Lol wut! Geezus. With 99.7726% of holsters, he should have been able to verify mag fit without removing the gun from the holster. I'm not necessarily condoning that in a gun shop with a shoulder holster, but it would have been 100.4% better than what he did.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Lol wut! Geezus. With 99.7726% of holsters, he should have been able to verify mag fit without removing the gun from the holster. I'm not necessarily condoning that in a gun shop with a shoulder holster, but it would have been 100.4% better than what he did.
    Shouldn’t have to verify magazine fit anyway! They should know if the mag is for the specific weapon!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You may need to draw in a hurry, you have the rest of your life to put it away. So put it away right and with some thought.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He said he had a new story to tell. It would be keep your finger off the trigger unless you are ready to fire. Didn't an Indiana police chief do something similar not to many years ago. Shot himself reholstering?
    When that happens its usually because the finger is inside the trigger guard when they reholster. Or in the chiefs case his shirt iirc. Sorry for the half ass reply earlier I forgot people can't read my mind.

I understood. I just can not understand the idiocy that evokes these incidents.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I used to work at a gun store in Mishawaka. I cant even tell you how many loaded guns were pointed at me. Idiots just feel the need to coon finger their guns and pull them right out. One time, a customer wanted to try new holsters. He pulled his gun out and racked the slide to eject the round. The sales guy helping him started to yell at him, but it happened too fast. The jackwagon forgot to drop the mag, and had his finger on the trigger, so when the slide went back into battery, it fired a .45 round squarely into the floor. You want to talk about unnerving. I try not to underestimate the stupidity of people these days.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    It's real easy never unholster your weapon in the store. If you want to check things for your weapon bring it in to the store in a case and it should be unloaded.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I'm just amazed the store would allow a gun (loaded or unloaded) to be taken out of a holster in the store. They should have given him an empty case and to take it out to his car, unload the gun, put in the case, and come back in.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom