When was the last time you really ran hard with your EDC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Over the weekend, I was playing with my kids. It led to me, 40 something, a [STRIKE]few[/STRIKE] lot of extra pounds, flat out sprinting a lap around the house. I was in my regular EDC with all of my gear. (Biobelt, kydex OWB, mag pouch's, light & knives.)

Other than my pants slipping down a little, everything stayed where it should.

I remember doing this quite a few years ago when my gear selection wasn't the best. (Let's just say Uncle Mike's was involved.) I lost a few things in the process.

I said all of that to say this. In these times, a full sprint may be more likely than ever. When that happens, you really won't know how good your gear is until you try it. I'd really suck if you had to run 15 yards to cover and when you get there, you gun is on the ground.

So give it a try. Put on what you normally wear for EDC and go out for a full sprint, or whatever your limit may be. Make a few turns too. It's better to find out now what may be lacking in your set up. I'll working on how to keep my pants up better.

I haven't done it yet but I've heard rolling around in the ground in your regular gear is another way to test your set-up. Maybe someone can share their experience/technique for this.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Did you make any observations about your cardio or how much energy you had left after your sprint? Keeping your tools is important, but maintaining the ability to use them effectively is probably more important. My cardio is terrible and I'm starting to focus on fixing it. I have a lot of work to do.

A sprint is a really good test and I think everyone should try it. Rolling around in the ground with a training partner on top of you is the best gear test I've tried as far as keeping everything in its place. It's a little weird though, that the times I have broken holsters have been during relatively simple movements and not grappling exercises. Things like picking up steel targets and moving them around or jumping in to a prone position and rolling around on the ground a little during a rifle class. Maybe the holster improvements I made after those was effective.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Did you make any observations about your cardio or how much energy you had left after your sprint? Keeping your tools is important, but maintaining the ability to use them effectively is probably more important. My cardio is terrible and I'm starting to focus on fixing it. I have a lot of work to do.

I find generally people focus more on gear and less on physical fitness. Both are equally important. Treat your body like your most important piece of gear.
    I hate cardio FYI. I generally work out with weights 3x a week, and only do cardio for a mile a week. As I age I'll have to move that ratio more toward cardio (I'm 34).

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Good thinking, I did this type of thing years ago and along with general draw/shooting practice under less than ideal situations I changed my belt/holster setup right away. My cardio could always be better but I can get a fair amount of real movement accomplished and still hit my target. Always room for improvement!!

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I find generally people focus more on gear and less on physical fitness. Both are equally important. Treat your body like your most important piece of gear.
    I hate cardio FYI. I generally work out with weights 3x a week, and only do cardio for a mile a week. As I age I'll have to move that ratio more toward cardio (I'm 34).
    This is a great discussion for couch commandos. Present company excluded of course. Last year I turned sixty and with some apprehension I ran a mini after not running since my kids were in HS. I was always a good runner ;) but man I really had to ease back into it. It took weeks and weeks. Best to keep up some type of fitness 365, for me that is basketball ref, hiking with pack and rifle for hours keeping busy by only watching tv or internet as a last resort activity. I also OWB 90% of the time with good retention, and really only carry 30 rounds one mag in gun one in pouch when going in a high risk urban area. (This helps with my maneuverability). Of course if evasion is not an option then is might make sense to load up, but I like options. Well I have probably said too much as it is. One more thought, if you have ever chased someone, if you run them down that pretty much breaks their will and it is very satisfying. Be safe stay strong and love thy neighbor whenever possible.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Good thread / topic, BT ! :yesway: I really like holsters with a security strap, although I realize that they'll slow the presentation a bit .... but it's a trade-off that I'm willing to make.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have been using the lockdown as an excuse to get out and walk a mile or two every day if at all possible. Normally that meant a Ruger LCP in the front shorts pocket.

This week long rioting has me reevaluating what I carry even when around the neighborhood, so it's back to the trusty Glock 19 and a spare mags or two, even when wearing gym shorts.

I use a 5.11 nylon operator belt with Velcro which is great because it can be worn and tightened down even with shorts or without belt loops (aka pants less). My Raven Concealment holster keeps the gun in real high and tight. It doesn't have active retention but the kydex does keep the gun in nice and snug. No worries about it falling out on its own.

It's basically a bare bones duty belt set up that can be put on and taken off quickly and provides a very stable platform.

We won't talk about the cardio part. I am working on that too.

Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    I’m really glad to see a post about this, a lot of people I talk to never test their gear, and a lot more I talk to look like they haven’t worked out in quite some time, saying “if this happens I’ll do this” but in reality you can tell they couldn’t make it a half mile without anything. Since the lockdown I’ve made it a point to get back into cardio, and re testing all my gear just in case. I forgot how much it sucks to run in a plate carrier, with a combat load, but getting back used to it really makes me feel better. Glad to see I’m not the only one. Keep it up guys

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My job takes care of both aspects of this thread.
    I work construction, all different phases.
    Some days I'm roofing, others I'm crawling through an attic or crawl space.
    I'm routinely hanging sideways off the edge of something or another.
    At times, while doing plumbing work, I find the need to run from one floor of a house to another to ensure there is no leakage when water pressure is restored.

I'm constantly climbing ladders, or crawling around on the ground.
    Last weekend I spent the day at my hunting property felling trees and cutting them up. This involved walking up and down a very steep incline while carrying either a chainsaw or tree limbs/trunks...

I get my exercise and test my equipment on an ongoing basis, like daily.
    Yes, Uncle Mike's products suck hind teat.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I understand the point of being fit. But at this point for me,running is going to be my last crappy option. Hope it doesn’t boil down to that. I agree with everyone else though,that I should work on that.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I understand the point of being fit. But at this point for me,running is going to be my last crappy option. Hope it doesn’t boil down to that. I agree with everyone else though,that I should work on that.

Same here, 12 screws, 1 plate, 1 rods, wire means Wcd does not run period. But that’s not to say that I don’t row and Nordic track daily. Sometimes you just need to know your limitations, and build on your strengths.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just last Saturday, actually. I was at Mom's palatial estate finalizing the sump install. (I know, sexy work) Afterward I noted that the far side of the ditch hadnt been mowed. It is far steeper than the street side, and she didnt feel comfy cutting it, so I offered. She accepted. I knew storms were rolling in because I heard the distant thunder. But I thought I had time.

Just as I finished I could see the rain moving in far across the fields. I thought I had time to make one last pass along the road to blow the clippings back into the ditch so as not to be a dick to motorcyclists. just as I got to her drive with 25 yards to go, it started raining. I turned around and floored the hydrostatic system. Dammit. the old tractor was MUCH faster than this one. By the time I got to the FAR detached garage, I was pretty wet.

I made the 100 yard dash to the house in the pouring rain. I realized as I was sprinting that it was the first time I had done this sprint in probably 25 years. Though I used to do it multiple times a day as a kid. Because that garage was actually my grandma's garage. Her house was torn down after she passed, but the garage stayed. (Mom and dad's wedding gift was a carve out of land to build a house, so I grew up next door to Grandma... Grandpa died of a heart attack when I was 4) As a kid I was literally like Forrest Gump. I ran everywhere. And I would run between the garage/grandma's house to my house multiple times a day. Life was too damn short to walk!

Top Bottom