Do you own a Sig 365, 365 Xl, G48, or Hellcat?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys! It's been years since I did a range request, but my wife and I are currently reassessing our EDC options. I'm currently considering the G48 and the Sig 365 XL. My wife is currently considering the Springfield Hellcat and the 365.....Is anyone willing to meet up at a range and let us compare these guns to what we're currently using or to each other? I'm currently a member at ACC, but we live near Zionsville, and we're willing to drive out to try them.

Thanks guys!

Edit: My wife has informed me that she has already decided against the P365. So just strike that to the 365XL, Hellcat, and G48.

Last edited:

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Check with your local ranges to see what they have on the rental counter. I know you mentioned checking with members here, but it may take a few people to cross all 3 off the list. Those are 3 popular guns that I best most ranges have for rent, so you can do all 3 side by side, head to head, and compare.

Obviously, times are a bit different today than normal due to crazy demand and traffic, but that may be your best one-stop-shop.

I personally have an XL, and love it! Love the flat trigger, love the size, love how it shoots, love that it's optics ready. The 48 (more likely the 43x) is higher on my radar now due to the Shield 15 round mags.

I no longer live in the Indy area, sorry I can't be of actual hands on help!

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yeah none of the rental places had the guns we wanted to try....which I found odd. Certainly I would be wiling to meet up with more than one person at more than one time. I did get to try the 43X. Really nice gun. But just a tad too much recoil to justify switching from my current EDC. I suspect a gun with a longer barrel/ slide would fix that. My wife just wants something smaller with a higher cap but doesn't like SIG in general.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Having shot all 3 of your choices, the P365xl is far and away the better pistol. Recoil impulse is much softer. It shoots like a much bigger pistol.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have shot a Glock 43, a 43X, and a 48...but not a 365 (in either configuration) and, to be honest, I still preferred a Glock 26.
    The smaller and lighter the pistol, the more 'snappy' the felt-recoil! To each their own...just my $0.02 worth...
    Call around to different ranges, drive some if you have to, and best of luck finding one of each to shoot!

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Having shot all 3 of your choices, the P365xl is far and away the better pistol. Recoil impulse is much softer. It shoots like a much bigger pistol.

Me personally... I prefer my Springfield Hellcat over the SIG P365xl. It is just a better handling,better cycling, better aiming sub-compact. That is my preference though. To each their own.

FWIW. If a person is looking for a gun to try before buy. Top Gun in Terra Haute Indiana has a whole wall of guns you can try(at their ranges)before buy. Just putting it out there.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    People keep saying that, I must be an outlier, such is not the case for me.

What was your experience? I'm thinking about switching to one of these with the longer barrel option (XL, 48 or when the Hellcat makes the 4").

I've been a huge fan of the 4" XDs but the extra capacity these new ones offer is a no brainier.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    What was your experience? I'm thinking about switching to one of these with the longer barrel option (XL, 48 or when the Hellcat makes the 4").

I've been a huge fan of the 4" XDs but the extra capacity these new ones offer is a no brainier.

I bought a 365XL with Romeo Zero. First off the RDS is junk. Second off, even for $750 no rear sight plate was included and I am having a hard time finding one. The gun itself feels pretty good in the hand but I don't shoot it as well as my G43 which really shouldn't be the case. A few days ago in an effort to see if it could win me over I went through 500 rounds on drills in an hour and a half. I was shooting it a little better by the end but did learn a few things.

It is reliable
    The slide gets smoking, burn the flesh off my support thumb hot
    Not only does it not have ambi slide release like the Gen5 Glocks, I have to go over the top because I can't operate the slide release with my trigger finger of my left hand like I can on every other non ambi semi auto I have
    I don't care for the flat trigger. Maybe I could get used to it if I found enough other reasons to like the gun
    I ripped off a large chunk of flesh on my ring finger which has never been a problem before in dozens of high round count classes with a Glock. (Rightys wont have this problem

In the end I am waiting to see if Holosun ever ships the K model red dots and see how that works. If I still don't care for it, we will see if the wife likes it. I don't shoot it nearly as well as my 19, and it doesn't conceal as well as my current NPE gun a G43, so right now it is an answer looking for a question.

Last edited:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I bought a 365XL with Romeo Zero. First off the RDS is junk. Second off, even for $750 no rear sight plate was included and I am having a hard time finding one. The gun itself feels pretty good in the hand but I don't shoot it as well as my G43 which really shouldn't be the case. A few days ago in an effort to see if it could win me over I went through 500 rounds on drills in an hour and a half. I was shooting it a little better by the end but did learn a few things.

It is reliable
    Not only does it not have ambi slide release like the Gen5 Glocks, I have to go over the top because I can't operate the slide release with my trigger finger of my left hand like I can on every other non ambi semi auto I have
    I don't care for the flat trigger. Maybe I could get used to it if I found enough other reasons to like the gun

In the end I am waiting to see if Holosun ever ships the K model red dots and see how that works. If I still don't care for it, we will see if the wife likes it. I don't shoot it nearly as well as my 19, and it doesn't conceal as well as my current NPE gun a G43, so right now it is an answer looking for a question.

Can you expound on why the RDS is junk?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Can you expound on why the RDS is junk?

Thats easy. It is a cheap piece of junk. It is all plastic, lens and housing. The brightness button is in a terrible place to manipulate. It is almost impossible to adjust with your finger and even if you can you cant see the dot while you are doing it. It washes out very easily when the sun is behind you. My first battery lasted 3 weeks. The second one has been going for about 2 months now which is encouraging. Unfortunately changing the battery means removing the sight and at least with my particular example it doesn't return to zero. I am not writing down what I hate about it so I will probably think of some more things in time.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    RDS on a pistol is silly anyway.
    YMMV but why do you say that?

Doug Koenig has almost owned the Bianchi cup for the better part of a generation using RDS

For carry? They're getting smaller and for some of us, our eyes are aging faster

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

It is reliable
    I ripped off a large chunk of flesh on my ring finger which has never been a problem before in dozens of high round count classes with a Glock. (Rightys wont have this problem

I'm anxious to get my hands on the Holosun 407K that I have on back order. If it ever ships. Got an email recently that said Eta pushed back until the end of June now.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    YMMV but why do you say that?

Doug Koenig has almost owned the Bianchi cup for the better part of a generation using RDS

For carry? They're getting smaller and for some of us, our eyes are aging faster

Yeah. Pistols are close range defensive tools. I want my sight system (if I even need it at typical defensive encounter distances) to be rock solid and simple, not sticking up from the slide and relying on batteries, electronics and a fragile little window to work. And if I have to co-witness with my pistols sights, then what is the point? Red dots are for carbines and shotguns, IMO. Bianchi Cup is irrelevant, unless they've added a stage where you struggle with an attacker, break away, draw and fire from less than 10 feet away.

As far as aging eyes, I'm no spring chicken. But I can see the big yellow Trijicon HD front sight on all of my defensive pistols well enough to hit at typical defensive distances, even without my glasses. And though the tritium will dim over the next few years, that front sight will always be big and yellow. No batteries, no electronics, no glass/clear plastic and no huge snag point sticking up from my slide.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Yeah. Pistols are close range defensive tools. I want my sight system (if I even need it at typical defensive encounter distances) to be rock solid and simple, not sticking up from the slide and relying on batteries, electronics and a fragile little window to work. And if I have to co-witness with my pistols sights, then what is the point? Red dots are for carbines and shotguns, IMO. Bianchi Cup is irrelevant, unless they've added a stage where you struggle with an attacker, break away, draw and fire from less than 10 feet away.

As far as aging eyes, I'm no spring chicken. But I can see the big yellow Trijicon HD front sight on all of my defensive pistols well enough to hit at typical defensive distances, even without my glasses. And though the tritium will dim over the next few years, that front sight will always be big and yellow. No batteries, no electronics, no glass/clear plastic and no huge snag point sticking up from my slide.

That's fine. They still have issues that need improving. I have been using them for a little more than 10 years now but still enjoy driving stick shifts as well.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

I've got an rmr that has had the same battery turned on for 3 years now.

I've had a rear sight fall out of the dovetail and I didn't know until I took it off my waist at the end of the day, my first carry gun a g2c,. Then I had a factory glock rear sight be half way out before I found it while taking a mid day dump.

So far in my 6 years of carrying, 3 years with a carry optic pistol I've had more sighting failures out of traditional sights than a quality red dot. I change my carry battery every Christmas.

I'll put money on it that after a day at the range with a good optics instructor you'll be faster and more accurate with the dot than traditional sights. My irons are visible through the window in case Thor decided to hammer the glass out of it, but that's not going to happen.

It's amazing how easy a red dot makes transitions and engaging multiple targets.

Top Bottom