Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

Self defense rights against criminal use of a taser

SITUATION: I'm out and about and a criminal attempts to shoot me with a taser.

Am I legally allowed to use my carry pistol to shoot the attacker and stop the attack?
    Or am I compelled by law to just let them shoot me with the taser under the theory that it's a "non lethal" weapon?
    GCA, Life Member GOA, SAF, NRA & ISRPA

User Info Menu

I am not a lawyer.

Assault is a felony. Taser or not.

35-41-3-2

(c) A person is justified in using reasonable force against any other person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force.  However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force;  and

(2) does not have a duty to retreat;

if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony.  No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

(d) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against any other person;  and

(2) does not have a duty to retreat;

if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

User Info Menu

Do you believe they will stop with the taser? If someone breaks into your house will they stop with only stealing stuff?

I think in both cases you must assume their intent is to kill you.

If not a taser, how about a bat or hammer? Assault is an action, not a tool.
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

Thor nails it.
    Beto is one of "Those" people that you hope to one day be able to throat punch.

User Info Menu

They taze you to get your gun and other items of value not to mention you must assume they are likely to use your gun to kill you. They have left you no other alternative but to shoot them first. Besides, they could put an eye out with that tazer!
    This sounds familiar to a current event... just sayin.
    Last edited by CitizenX; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:28. Reason: added
    "After you've tried everything..try reading the manual!"

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere KellyinAvon's Avatar

User Info Menu

I think both the serious bodily injury and prevent forcible felony boxes are checked. I'M NOT A LAWYER, but it seems "reasonable" to me anyway.
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeadeyeChrista'sdad View Post
    Thor nails it.
    ...with his hammer!
    When seconds matter the 2nd Amendment matters.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Have you ever been nailed with a serious electrical jolt. I don't care if its just 120 volts from a receptacle it ****ing hurts. Step up to 220 and you are on your knees.
    277 will knock you to the floor.
    Now amp that up to the charge levels of a fully charged up Tazer. No real amperage per-say but the voltage will stun and debilitate you. We have all seen the results in the video's and the cop shows.
    If you are being tazed I seriously doubt you are pulling any defensive weapons' let alone deploying them.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

What's the intent? Use of a Taser CAN be forcible felony depending on the intent. So, the correct answer to this, and most questions like it, is, "It depends."
    On the other side of fear lies freedom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
    What's the intent? Use of a Taser CAN be forcible felony depending on the intent. So, the correct answer to this, and most questions like it, is, "It depends."
    Has Freud got your assailant on a couch?

Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast