• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Pretty good story, could have not had the hammer-cocking sounds added in the video. Bold at bottom my emphasis, reminds me of the lawn lawyer in St Louis.

WESTFIELD, Ind. – At Tim’s Shooting Academy in Westfield, sales are high and right now inventory is low.

“This is all I have left,” owner Tim Tomich said while pointing to a near-empty shelf of ammo. “Notice I have no .45. This is all the 9mm I have left right now.”
    Tomich can barely keep ammo in stock, and his suppliers have a hard time keeping up. He set a limit of one box per person after people were buying up hundreds of dollars in ammo in one purchase.
    Shotguns are also hard to find, as customers rush in.

“It has been hectic,” Tomich said. “We have been selling anything and everything in sight.”

Every time someone buys a gun, a background check is submitted to the FBI. June set a new one-month record with nearly 4 million checks, breaking the previous record of 3.7 million set in March.

Of the top ten weeks with the most background checks in FBI history, seven are from 2020. The FBI data goes back to 1998.

“Everyone that comes in are all saying the same thing. They’re starting to get scared,” Tomich said.
    Most customers tell Tomich it’s for home defense. He thinks the combination of a pandemic, riots and even Indy’s rising homicide numbers are causing people to stock up.
    “We always panic,” Tomich said. “What’s the old adage? Kill a fly with a sledgehammer? That’s what’s happening right now.”

Tomich is also booked on lessons for weeks in advance. His most common customers have become older people buying a gun for the first time.

“It’s sad when a 74-year-old lady comes in and ,you know, she’s your grandma, and she’s scared,” Tomich said. “That’s what hurts me the most.”
    As Tomich tries to restock, he’s hoping these new gun owners also take the time to learn how to safely use one.

“God forbid you’re ever put in a place where you have to protect yourself. It won’t do you any good if you don’t know how.”

https://fox59.com/news/westfield-gun-store-owner-trying-to-keep-up-with-record-gun-ammo-sales/

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Is it just me, or does this guy come off as condescending and dismissive of gun owners?

“We always panic,” Tomich said. “What’s the old adage? Kill a fly with a sledgehammer? That’s what’s happening right now."

The local stations have interviewed him a few different times and he always seems to come up with a comment or two like this one. You never know how much is the media removing context, but accusing your customers of "panicking" seems like a pretty dumb business model.

Then he doubles down by implying new gun owners are dangerous rubes who can't defend themselves properly anyway.

“God forbid you’re ever put in a place where you have to protect yourself. It won’t do you any good if you don’t know how.”

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Personally, I think he is right.
    Look at the gun and ammo shortage. How many shooting situations do you think you'll go through in a lifetime?
    How many times have we discussed training on this forum? We have a whole sub forum on it! We mostly agree that an untrained person is a danger to themselves and others!
    It's a fine business model. No problem asking people to take a moment and make sure that the firearm is the right answer to their perceived problem. Panic buying = No product= No income.

Bob

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Personally, I think he is right.
    Look at the gun and ammo shortage. How many shooting situations do you think you'll go through in a lifetime?
    How many times have we discussed training on this forum? We have a whole sub forum on it! We mostly agree that an untrained person is a danger to themselves and others!
    It's a fine business model. No problem asking people to take a moment and make sure that the firearm is the right answer to their perceived problem. Panic buying = No product= No income.

Bob

Training is absolutely CRITICAL! I don't know anyone that disagrees with that. Only on whether it should be required. I'm a firm believer that the ability to be armed is a God given right. 2A protects that right, not provides it. Therefore, I am a believer in constitutional carry. I believe every American should receive and seek training, but I believe it's the communities responsibility to educate them on that, and not the governments responsibility to legislate that.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    After having worked in a gun shop I really agree with “God forbid you’re ever put in a place where you have to protect yourself. It won’t do you any good if you don’t know how.” A lot of people come in who are sketchy at best on even the 4 rules of firearms safety. It's not condescending, it's first hand experience. I have seen it hundreds of times where people come in, talk like their professionals and that they have been shooting for years, and 15 minutes later they are asking if we have bandaids because they have slide bite. I mean, there are a lot of really good people out there who know their stuff. There are also a lot of people out there who quite frankly are rubes and have no interest in getting any better with their firearms handling abilities.
    There are also people who are first time buyers who have never owned a gun before. Some people in this world are self starters and adept learners, some aren't. A little training goes a long way.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    It easy to be labeled condescending when you have the right audience. In mastering human behavior and for anyone in the business it is easy to see how hard many work Harder at NOT seeking a responsible education with guns.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Tim is a good dude and hardly condescending. If you don't know him, stop in and talk to him. He has a few employees that are straight up *******s but he's definitely not what you implied.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    After having worked in a gun shop I really agree with “God forbid you’re ever put in a place where you have to protect yourself. It won’t do you any good if you don’t know how.” A lot of people come in who are sketchy at best on even the 4 rules of firearms safety. It's not condescending, it's first hand experience. I have seen it hundreds of times where people come in, talk like their professionals and that they have been shooting for years, and 15 minutes later they are asking if we have bandaids because they have slide bite. I mean, there are a lot of really good people out there who know their stuff. There are also a lot of people out there who quite frankly are rubes and have no interest in getting any better with their firearms handling abilities.
    There are also people who are first time buyers who have never owned a gun before. Some people in this world are self starters and adept learners, some aren't. A little training goes a long way.

This was pretty much my take on the interview. Add "just flat-out tired" to the equation as well from having the peddle to the metal since the toilet paper hoarding started back in February and the 9mm hoarding started a couple days later.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    A gun store owner/employee who is a condescending a-hole?

Why, I've never heard of such a thing.

:):

Kind of what ran through my head when I read OP and first reply...
    Never been to a gun store that the staff weren't 'Snobs' of some kind in the last 40 years.
    When I say 'Targets Only' I often get the 'Stink Eye' by the guy wearing at least two guns and at least half a dozen magazines on a dedicated belt with 'Tacti-Cool' holsters & gear pouches...

I've never had a paper target or gong shoot back, so I'm not exactly needing 1 second reloads with 100 round magazines & 300 round battle load out when doing garden work or mowing the yard... ;)
    I kind of left that behind in the military, and ground hogs haven't tried to ambush or car jack me, not once in 60 years.

I agree on education, basic safety *Should* be mandatory, and I'm talking more than the owners manual...
    I was fortunate enough to have parents/grandparents that started us on BB guns, then .22LR rifles, and safety was stressed (sometimes painfully) all along the way,
    And when local hunter/firearms safety classes became available, they sent us for a more formal, if still basic, education.

Safety Education, in all cases hurts nothing. Period.
    I see adults at the gun ranges that could use a STERN refresher course every time we go... Which is why we stay off the public ranges a lot now...

-------------------------

I didn't see any 'Shortages' pre-COVID.
    Took off in Aug. '19 for knees and bought 2-3 firearms while off recovering, getting used to my new knees.
    I did more shooting than usual (sitting down) and didn't have an issue with reloading supplies... I don't buy much common loaded ammo.

Got dragged out of retirement with the COVID emergency supplies thing so I wasn't paying attention until recently when friends started complaining there wasn't ammo, and nothing but 'Junk' firearms in the stores.
    The COVID thing kept me busy, but the 'Emergency Supplies' thing is pretty much over...
    Just getting around to BS sessions with friends again.

When I got to catching up with folks I know at civilian ATK/Federal, I found out they shut down during COVID emergency and are simply 3 months behind in production, now having issues with suppliers, which are 3 months behind.
    They say all civilian manufacturers are behind for the same reason.

When I tried to order a firearm my wife wanted, same deal, everything backordered since firearms manufacturers took 3 months off.
    My wife, being a good egg, thinks she can get through without a new firearm since she has some she hasn't fired in years... ;)

I have to agree about 'Panic Buyers',
    People already in a panic aren't the most rational to start with.
    On the other hand, there will be a CRAP LOAD of gently used firearms and ammo surplus on the market in a couple years!
    The people that panic consume have the attention span of puppies, and they will forget about, then dispose of this stuff when the next wave of consumerism hits them...
    Who knows, I traded 'Beenie Babies' for ammo back in the day... I don't know what the next fad will be, but be assured the 'Fads' will just keep happening...
    (1994 to 2004 'Ban Legal' firearms shoot just as well as pre-94 and post 04 firearms do)
    From pet rocks to fidget spinners, to beanie babies... There will be no shortage of 'Fads'...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom