• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK so as of July 1, as a registered nurse in Indiana, I was eligible to make mine a "compact" license, meaning I may practice in any "compact" state, of which there are 30-some-odd, for a reasonable fee (an additional $25, plus fingerprinting and background check costs. I set up an appointment to get my prints done through "IdenToGo", which will be within the first couple weeks of August.

As of today, I was reminded that Indiana law also now provides for a LTCH with a 5 year expiration, for which the only monetary cost is the cost of the fingerprinting. I see that prints must be done through "L-1", but since both licenses are issued by the state of Indiana, I figure I'll save some time, so I call ISP to ask if my prints for my expanded nursing license can be used for my LTCH. "No, you have to go through L-1". I thank the trooper for his time and hang up, then say to myself, "Let's try the other way.", so I call the State Board of Nursing, "No, you have to use IdenToGo."

So I click the link on the ISP site for L-1..... and up comes the page for IdenToGo! "Cool!" I think, rolling my eyes that neither of them knows that their preferred provider of prints has another name. Still thinking I can save some time, I call the IdenToGo help people and ask.....

"No, they're not the same, sorry"

"So I have to come get printed twice, even though the same place is doing the prints, on the same person, and both are going to the same state?"

"Yes."

Whiskey Tango Alpha Foxtrot, over?

And to top it off, the appt I set for my LTCH prints won't happen till the end of September. Copulate My Existence.

Blessings,
    Bill

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK so as of July 1, as a registered nurse in Indiana, I was eligible to make mine a "compact" license, meaning I may practice in any "compact" state, of which there are 30-some-odd, for a reasonable fee (an additional $25, plus fingerprinting and background check costs. I set up an appointment to get my prints done through "IdenToGo", which will be within the first couple weeks of August.

As of today, I was reminded that Indiana law also now provides for a LTCH with a 5 year expiration, for which the only monetary cost is the cost of the fingerprinting. I see that prints must be done through "L-1", but since both licenses are issued by the state of Indiana, I figure I'll save some time, so I call ISP to ask if my prints for my expanded nursing license can be used for my LTCH. "No, you have to go through L-1". I thank the trooper for his time and hang up, then say to myself, "Let's try the other way.", so I call the State Board of Nursing, "No, you have to use IdenToGo."

So I click the link on the ISP site for L-1..... and up comes the page for IdenToGo! "Cool!" I think, rolling my eyes that neither of them knows that their preferred provider of prints has another name. Still thinking I can save some time, I call the IdenToGo help people and ask.....

"No, they're not the same, sorry"

"So I have to come get printed twice, even though the same place is doing the prints, on the same person, and both are going to the same state?"

"Yes."

Whiskey Tango Alpha Foxtrot, over?

And to top it off, the appt I set for my LTCH prints won't happen till the end of September. Copulate My Existence.

Blessings,
    Bill

I hear ya Bill. Also, if fingerprints and background check is $25 and fingerprints are $12.95, that means it's a $12.05 background check. What does $12.05 get? Google OR Duck Duck Go search?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Sounds like they know how to work the system. Incorporate under multiple business names and use a different name for each state function. That way they can collect more in fees. Sigh...

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Perhaps there's another way to look at this. Do you want the ISP to have direct electronic access to your medical licensing files? Do you want the medical licensing board(s) to have electronic access to your LTCH files? Would you like future medical boards to be able to scan nursing files, or compare their names and fingerprints with the ISP files to determine which nurses (doctors, EMTS, etc) have LTCHs?

Sometimes firewalls are good?

Then again, sometimes not:
    The Treasury issued ~$1.4 Billion in Economic Impact Payments to deceased people, citing lack of access to Social Security’s deceased records. I’m joining Rep. John Curtis’s common-sense bill requiring the Treasury to review the Social Security Death Master File before dispersing payments.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I would have thought the system would process your print and send a report off to whatever agency with the results. Kind of a "select which recipients you would like to receive a copy of this report".

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I would have thought the system would process your print and send a report off to whatever agency with the results. Kind of a "select which recipients you would like to receive a copy of this report".

Again, not when you can bill the state and the user TWICE for a different label.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    So something slightly different but basically the same.

The state written test for EMT used to be managed by the state. Then the state switched to using the National Registry test a couple years ago. So now my students get their National Registry certification but because Indiana does not recognize the National Registry certification to work, they have to apply for an Indiana certification once they are NR certified.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So let me get this straight, it costs $25 to get a free license?

The state no longer charges a fee for the license. So from their perspective its free.

If you know somebody that can do fingerprinting (and is approved) you can get it truly for free. If you dont you have to pay a 3rd party for their services to get the fingerprints.

And even if the fingerprinting were free, would it still TRULY be free?

It would require:
    Your time (Im sure you dont work for free so your time has value)
    Your electricity to operate your PC if you file online
    Your internet service provider cost for that 5 minutes of service to file it
    (If I wanted to get REALLY nitpicky I could say you need to factor in a fraction of the cost of your PC/laptop/phone since you couldnt do it unless you had purchased it)

If you drive the form to them:
    The gas to get there and back.
    Your time (again, and this time, MUCH more of it)
    Change for the parking meter
    The wear and tear on your car (or bus ticket if you are so inclined)

Bottom line my friend, NOTHING is free. NOTHING.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When you go in for the first set I'd see if they could do the 2nd set the same time ,put 1 on each business header

And even offer to pay the 2nd sitting to grease the wheels. Yes, its still rather ridiculous, but if there is time, why not double up and do both? (you might need to slip the worker a greenback to grease the wheels even further)

jlane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2019
    Allen County
    Welcome to the bureauacy or how ever you spell it!!!

I don’t understand Why my local PD hat to collect a few as well they I’ve already paid the state

This space Intentionally left blank

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'm a CPA. At least once a week I'm given an excellent example of mindless bureaucracy and/or apathetic government workers from either the IRS or state departments of revenue. Regular trips to the shooting range help me stay sane.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don’t take issue with paying the printing fee for each iteration they send, I just don’t want to have to go back the second time to do the process again.

Alamo, do you really think that the agencies can’t search each other’s files? One might have to go to a judge to open the door, but dollars to doughnuts, if a nurse’s name got into the news for anything firearm related, someone would note whether or not that nurse held a LTCH, legal prohibition on publishing notwithstanding. All that said, the fact that a third party sends a print card to ISP and a card to the nursing board does not mean that either knows that prints have been done for both. It’s like if I send a PM to you and to Actaeon.... neither of you will know the other received it if I send both by BCC.

It just seems moronic to me to make someone set two different appointments and I hope to streamline things when I go in.

Blessings,
    Bill

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Since 1975, when I filled out paperwork trying to get hired by the FBI, I've been poked, prodded, fingerprinted and background checked for most of my 64 years! I still get fingerprinted every fours years for a hazardous material endorsement. One more in December or January and hopefully I'm done with this BS!

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So I went for prints yesterday and despite both sets of fees being paid to the same third party provider, the lady tells me that the company has overbooked her and with covid and people watching her and whatever other excuses came to mind, she “could not” do my second set of prints to forward.

I find I now understand why the name for this amount of fecal matter is referred to using the same name as a popular long-term Kitchen appliance.

it is a crock

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Got printed the 29th for LTCH 5 yr, then went yesterday to sheriff’s office. When she finished processing my stuff, she told me the delay was in months, and that I was not legal to carry until I had the LTCH in hand. I knew this answer but I asked anyway, “even on my lifetime?” She looked at me like I suddenly grew another arm out of my skull, and asked me why I applied for the 5 year when I already had the lifetime, and I explained about the LTCH in lieu of NICS check. She looked confused, in that the NICS is federal and “No matter where you go you have to do that at a gun store.” (Paraphrase) and I told her she was mistaken, that several states are exempted, and that IN used to be one of them, but they require an expiration date for that, and my current license doesn’t expire until I do.

All in all, as Constitutional infringements go, this was relatively painless. I don’t like and don’t agree with needing to prove my innocence of crime to exercise a God-given right. At the same time, I don’t know how they would even begin trying to prove me guilty of something that would disqualify me..... which is kind of the point.

Now the waiting game for it to come in.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    UPDATE: ISP site says IN 5 yr does not qualify for this and while it is meant to pave the way, only ATF can make that happen. ATF today said there is no NICS alternative for IN. I left a message back for the guy and asked him if it was planned to happen, and if so, when. Will update ASAP.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom