• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I am having a hard time finding good discussions on the internet about this. I know that Mr. Paul Harrell Has addressed this over on his youtube channel for 2020
    ( https://youtu.be/6S0HnA4oLxk )

Obviously step #1: is situational awareness, BUT

Seems that with mob violence / mentality there seems to be more importance on capacity.

I do not intend this to be a caliber war. This is more a question of:

With how things have been changing, do you find yourself giving more priority to higher magazine capacities than before?

if your EDC has been a lower 10 or less capacity, have you re-evaluated your EDC priorities?

Are you choosing to keep your normal EDC and just pack a Truck gun with more oomph?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I am having a hard time finding good discussions on the internet about this. I know that Mr. Paul Harrell Has addressed this over on his youtube channel for 2020

Seems that with mob violence / mentality there seems to be more importance on capacity.

With how things have been changing, do you find yourself giving more priority to higher magazine capacities than before?

if your EDC has been a lower 10 or less capacity, have you re-evaluated your EDC priorities?

Are you choosing to keep your normal EDC and just pack a Truck gun with more oomph?

Nothing changed. In reality if you need more than 3 to five rounds of Major Caliber you have already lost the fight.

soupergenius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    For about a year I was carrying the Springfield XD-S .45. It is slim and easy to carry, very comfortable. I carried the 6 round magazine. very light, small profile. I liked it a lot. Then the mobs starting surrounding vehicle and I thought maybe 6 rounds wasn't enough against a mob of 500. So I upgraded to the XD-45 sub compact .45 with the 12 round mags and I bought several extra mags. Then I saw the LARP'rs have started carrying AK-47's as they block the roads marching around peacefully protesting and I upgraded again to an AR-pistol .300 AAC blackout with 30 round mags. Who knows, next week I might mount two mini guns on the hood.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Nothing changed. In reality if you need more than 3 to five rounds of Major Caliber you have already lost the fight.

This is some Grade A bull****. I mean, even more so than usual. :rolleyes: :):

Unless you have some tales of all of the gunfights you've won with whatever antique you tote around with you like a magic talisman because "iT sTaRtS wItH a 4," maybe you should pay a little attention to people who have actually seen the elephant.

https://www.policeone.com/officer-s...5-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job-clGBbLYpnqqHxwMq/

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If you're questioning how much you carry, or don't feel it's enough, up your capacity. Find someway to carry a few spare mags.

My EDC has not changed much. I have 30+ rounds on me between extra mags and a second gun.

All handguns suck at stopping a person quickly with a shot or two (or five......or 15). Even a .45 ACP....... Shot placement is key. Training is where you get that.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    If you're questioning how much you carry, or don't feel it's enough, up your capacity. Find someway to carry a few spare mags.

My EDC has not changed much. I have 30+ rounds on me between extra mags and a second gun.

All handguns suck at stopping a person quickly with a shot or two (or five......or 15). Even a .45 ACP....... Shot placement is key. Training is where you get that.

I don't have a problem with my capacity. Just interested in other thoughts of the current situation and EDC mentality.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County

I guess it matters a lot on where you frequent.

I live in a rural area. I drive main highways approx 30 miles one way to work in a small town. The closest I’ve come to the latest nonsense is I saw a few protesters on a street corner by the courthouse in Rochester - maybe 10, all kids who’d likely get out of my way with my patented “you really don’t want to be in my way” look.

I’m always armed, but with a 6 shot wheel gun I shoot quite well.

When we go to the “big” city for supplies and such? Two guns, a 10 round 9mm to supplement the 6 shot revolver. Likely I’d carry more but I’m a smaller guy and comfort/concealability matters.

I also don’t frequent areas I feel would be a bad idea.

ymmv.

JiujitsuHound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2020
    Shelbyville
    I stopped using my Shield 9 as my EDC and switched to my XDM 3.8 full size with 19+1 after seeing the events that have happened around our nation. I typically carry at least one spare magazine with me as well.

Training has been a focal point for me lately as well. There is always room for improvement, right?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Professional Duty is a whole different application. The OP asked for a discussion pertaining to EDC for Civil Carry. Now most can play into the video game high capacity round game if they want to but they are more likely to die of natural causes than shooting it out with a lynch mob unless they are looking for trouble. Furthermore, the OP does not want a caliber argument only to say I prefer , major caliber, tested equipment and tested skill set. There are many CCW out there that skip all three and yet still want to give advice for free.. I see them daily. They are also evident in these threads. When you see posts about the equipment choices, classified offerings,, questions and remarks about losing guns, holster fails, sights falling off, and where can I find ammo, it is revealing to say the least. On the other hand INGO is a gathering place for opinions and there is no shortage of that. Take for instance the ammo shortages we have seen in the last 15 years. When the masses are all after the same thing because of what they read is best, then the pipeline deflates. I will stay with the fundamentals of shooting and stay committed to the hard work and discipline it takes to being a student of the sport. There is nothing wrong with any ones opinion on how many rounds to carry but I do not have to agree and if that ticks off the casual gun owner, then so be it.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Ashby you have asked a good question, one that has been the topic of many a discussion. Honestly many of us get complacent, however, over the years depending on your situation, you possibly have learned some things that worked or didn't work, depending on the situation at hand.
    The day you (I don't mean you personally) reach the age and meet the requirements, many get a permit, go buy what the can afford, and having listened to, or read many of stories, they start their journey on legal carry.
    Great, just having and carrying a firearm is good for you.
    But even that has some questions that may need to be addressed.
    Type of fire arm, capacity and ammunition of said carry piece, reliability, ease of carry, training, etc, etc.
    For me it was a GI Issue .45 auto my Uncle Sam taught me to use, but I had to turn it in when not using it.
    The basics of maintenance and training, came with that issued weapon.
    And it was .45 auto, a proven one shot man stopper right?
    But as a young soldier, with a wife and son, on a limited budget (Don't laugh) I bought and carried a Raven .25 auto with my Texas CC permit.
    Over time I moved up to a Smith and Wesson .38 special, and finally a Colt Combat Commander in .45.
    Over the years, other Smiths, Colts, and even a Sig 226, I carried CC and part time in various extra money making opportunities to supplement my Army pay.

Then came GLOCK, a soldier I knew at FT. Lewis Wa, showed me his Gen 1 17 rd 9mm G-17.
    Meh...……...I was impressed with 17 rds though.
    Then a Tacoma Wa Police Officer showed me his Gen 2 G-19 and the rest is history.
    I bought my own Gen 2 G-19 and carried it everywhere, and I mean everywhere.
    Then I retired and entered the Sheriffs Academy where a Gen 2 G-22 was issued and we trained and carried it on duty, but I still qualified with and carried my Glock-19 off duty.
    Then I got a Glock-27 as a BUG, which is now my EDC, and I carry it everywhere and I mean everywhere.
    That's my story, over the years, I have pulled and pointed my issued weapon various times when called upon, (I have shot people with an M-16 and M-60 machine gun, maybe an M-203 I cannot remember), but not a handgun.

Enough of me, bottom line, have a weapon with you, get training, carry what you can, when you can, and train with it, so many out there have gotten an XYZ, and carry ABC in it, but can they handle it?
    I teach my wife to shoot and I am probably the only thing she will ever shoot.
    But she was robbed at gunpoint one night, years ago by an inner city gentleman in our apartment at the time parking lot.
    As the saying goes, I would rather have one and not need it than to need one and not have it, sorry to ramble on like a DODDGIE post, but you asked.
    Right now a Glock-27 with Winchester 180 gr PDX-1 in it.
    A Glock-22 same ammo set up if needed, but you know, you never know...………..I could be the Hero on the news, or another victim featured after the Traffic and Weather report.
    Stay Safe, my friends.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

d0ee718d6ce28cfcbbc217d55def2808.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

If prior to this point you (generically) were not carrying a service size handgun in a service size caliber plus a reload, and you haven't reconsidered? You are just not paying attention or you have the simply owning and carrying a gun makes me armed mentality real bad

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    We have entered an unprecedented time in history where mobs are permitted to riot, loot, burn and kill with impunity, and law enforcement has been ordered not to interfere with their activities. Anyone who finds themselves in the vicinity of such activities who is white and not dressed as an anarchist can expect to be in grave peril with little hope of assistance.

I have upped my game somewhat in response to this.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Professional Duty is a whole different application. The OP asked for a discussion pertaining to EDC for Civil Carry. Now most can play into the video game high capacity round game if they want to but they are more likely to die of natural causes than shooting it out with a lynch mob unless they are looking for trouble. Furthermore, the OP does not want a caliber argument only to say I prefer , major caliber, tested equipment and tested skill set. There are many CCW out there that skip all three and yet still want to give advice for free.. I see them daily. They are also evident in these threads. When you see posts about the equipment choices, classified offerings,, questions and remarks about losing guns, holster fails, sights falling off, and where can I find ammo, it is revealing to say the least. On the other hand INGO is a gathering place for opinions and there is no shortage of that. Take for instance the ammo shortages we have seen in the last 15 years. When the masses are all after the same thing because of what they read is best, then the pipeline deflates. I will stay with the fundamentals of shooting and stay committed to the hard work and discipline it takes to being a student of the sport. There is nothing wrong with any ones opinion on how many rounds to carry but I do not have to agree and if that ticks off the casual gun owner, then so be it.

When you use the term "major caliber," you tell me all I need to know about the value of your advice. Your gun game rules are irrelevant with respect to sound self defense discussion.

I've seen the results of shootings with many different calibers, over and over, with the vast majority being scenes with dead bodies and empty 9mm brass as the main characters. I'm talking real life, not some OK Corral fantasy. Funny you mention video games, because that's about the only scenario where you can get more power out of your handgun by changing the caliber, as long as you have enough points to "upgrade."

The incident I posted was one man against another. It matters not whether it was duty related. A master firearms instructor needed multiple rounds of "major caliber" to put down a threat that was neither drunk nor high. Several fatal (eventually) hits were scored, and the bad guy was still in the fight. Mano a mano, same as any defensive encounter that one may find themselves in. Capacity is your friend.

You are right, there are all levels of training and experience on INGO. Probably an influx of new readers, if not posters, due to the current social situation. These new shooters don't need to read misinformation about how fractions of an inch in bullet diameter is some kind of game-changing factor in the effectiveness of pistols used for self defense. This kind of ignorance about handgun terminal ballistics screams "casual gun owner" pretty loudly, regardless of the amount of time one may spend playing gun games on the weekend. Capacity will never make up for a lack of skill, but those who confront violence for a living overwhelmingly choose capacity AND skill. Capacity is your friend.

Any casual observer should be able to figure out that, despite the low chances of being involved in a violent defensive encounter overall, those odds are nudging upwards lately. It doesn't have to be an angry mob. Unless you live back in the woods with mama and the kids and the dogs, and even then, I guarantee you that there's a meth-addled dirtbag living closer to you than you think. And he's frequenting the same gas stations and stores as you do. So are his buddies. Capacity is your friend.

Each man (and woman) must make the decision on what they feel comfortable with, but no one ever wished for less ammo in a gunfight. I'll take as many chances to save my own life as I can get, and that translates into having enough ammo to finish the job. Even the most highly trained shooter can have a bad day. One shouldn't let their ego and supposed "skill set" get in the way of a rational analysis of what actually happens during deadly force encounters and using that information to plan appropriately. "If you need more than 5/6 rounds, you're dead anyway" is one of the biggest crock of gunshop commando bull**** that has ever left someone's lips.

I seem to remember a post where you actually discovered a high capacity pistol and were extolling its virtues not too long ago, so I'm not sure where you're coming from with the old cowboy attitude again. I'll take 5 more rounds of "minor" caliber (LOL) in my magazine over a cylinder full of empty .44 Thunderstruck cartridges any day of the week.

It may be a "sport" to you, but for some of us, it's no game.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    When you use the term "major caliber," you tell me all I need to know about the value of your advice. Your gun game rules are irrelevant with respect to sound self defense discussion.

I've seen the results of shootings with many different calibers, over and over, with the vast majority being scenes with dead bodies and empty 9mm brass as the main characters. I'm talking real life, not some OK Corral fantasy. Funny you mention video games, because that's about the only scenario where you can get more power out of your handgun by changing the caliber, as long as you have enough points to "upgrade."

The incident I posted was one man against another. It matters not whether it was duty related. A master firearms instructor needed multiple rounds of "major caliber" to put down a threat that was neither drunk nor high. Several fatal (eventually) hits were scored, and the bad guy was still in the fight. Mano a mano, same as any defensive encounter that one may find themselves in. Capacity is your friend.

You are right, there are all levels of training and experience on INGO. Probably an influx of new readers, if not posters, due to the current social situation. These new shooters don't need to read misinformation about how fractions of an inch in bullet diameter is some kind of game-changing factor in the effectiveness of pistols used for self defense. This kind of ignorance about handgun terminal ballistics screams "casual gun owner" pretty loudly, regardless of the amount of time one may spend playing gun games on the weekend. Capacity will never make up for a lack of skill, but those who confront violence for a living overwhelmingly choose capacity AND skill. Capacity is your friend.

Any casual observer should be able to figure out that, despite the low chances of being involved in a violent defensive encounter overall, those odds are nudging upwards lately. It doesn't have to be an angry mob. Unless you live back in the woods with mama and the kids and the dogs, and even then, I guarantee you that there's a meth-addled dirtbag living closer to you than you think. And he's frequenting the same gas stations and stores as you do. So are his buddies. Capacity is your friend.

Each man (and woman) must make the decision on what they feel comfortable with, but no one ever wished for less ammo in a gunfight. I'll take as many chances to save my own life as I can get, and that translates into having enough ammo to finish the job. Even the most highly trained shooter can have a bad day. One shouldn't let their ego and supposed "skill set" get in the way of a rational analysis of what actually happens during deadly force encounters and using that information to plan appropriately. "If you need more than 5/6 rounds, you're dead anyway" is one of the biggest crock of gunshop commando bull**** that has ever left someone's lips.

I seem to remember a post where you actually discovered a high capacity pistol and were extolling its virtues not too long ago, so I'm not sure where you're coming from with the old cowboy attitude again. I'll take 5 more rounds of "minor" caliber (LOL) in my magazine over a cylinder full of empty .44 Thunderstruck cartridges any day of the week.

It may be a "sport" to you, but for some of us, it's no game.

This is called "hitting the nail on the head."

Last edited by a moderator:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Take it from a guy whose life depended on capacity. His "opponent" when to slid-lock and lost the battle.
    If you've never heard this guy's story it should be mandatory for anyone carrying a firearm.

https://firearmsnation.com/podcast/
    Go to : FPN 139 Jarod Reston 12 years after

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Ashby you have asked a good question, one that has been the topic of many a discussion. Honestly many of us get complacent, however, over the years depending on your situation, you possibly have learned some things that worked or didn't work, depending on the situation at hand.
    The day you (I don't mean you personally) reach the age and meet the requirements, many get a permit, go buy what the can afford, and having listened to, or read many of stories, they start their journey on legal carry.
    Great, just having and carrying a firearm is good for you.
    But even that has some questions that may need to be addressed.
    Type of fire arm, capacity and ammunition of said carry piece, reliability, ease of carry, training, etc, etc.
    For me it was a GI Issue .45 auto my Uncle Sam taught me to use, but I had to turn it in when not using it.
    The basics of maintenance and training, came with that issued weapon.
    And it was .45 auto, a proven one shot man stopper right?
    But as a young soldier, with a wife and son, on a limited budget (Don't laugh) I bought and carried a Raven .25 auto with my Texas CC permit.
    Over time I moved up to a Smith and Wesson .38 special, and finally a Colt Combat Commander in .45.
    Over the years, other Smiths, Colts, and even a Sig 226, I carried CC and part time in various extra money making opportunities to supplement my Army pay.

Then came GLOCK, a soldier I knew at FT. Lewis Wa, showed me his Gen 1 17 rd 9mm G-17.
    Meh...……...I was impressed with 17 rds though.
    Then a Tacoma Wa Police Officer showed me his Gen 2 G-19 and the rest is history.
    I bought my own Gen 2 G-19 and carried it everywhere, and I mean everywhere.
    Then I retired and entered the Sheriffs Academy where a Gen 2 G-22 was issued and we trained and carried it on duty, but I still qualified with and carried my Glock-19 off duty.
    Then I got a Glock-27 as a BUG, which is now my EDC, and I carry it everywhere and I mean everywhere.
    That's my story, over the years, I have pulled and pointed my issued weapon various times when called upon, (I have shot people with an M-16 and M-60 machine gun, maybe an M-203 I cannot remember), but not a handgun.

Enough of me, bottom line, have a weapon with you, get training, carry what you can, when you can, and train with it, so many out there have gotten an XYZ, and carry ABC in it, but can they handle it?
    I teach my wife to shoot and I am probably the only thing she will ever shoot.
    But she was robbed at gunpoint one night, years ago by an inner city gentleman in our apartment at the time parking lot.
    As the saying goes, I would rather have one and not need it than to need one and not have it, sorry to ramble on like a DODDGIE post, but you asked.
    Right now a Glock-27 with Winchester 180 gr PDX-1 in it.
    A Glock-22 same ammo set up if needed, but you know, you never know...………..I could be the Hero on the news, or another victim featured after the Traffic and Weather report.
    Stay Safe, my friends.

I don't always ask questions ( not always "good" ones either) but I thought that right now we should all be vigilant on our complacency and situational awareness. While I'm reading and taking it all in, this is also a question that in general should help the community. It has been proven that 9mm+ will tend to do the job. and I wanted to steer this away from the calibers since i think they are... moot at best. to me, It is more so is a question of training, platform, and lifestyle (program compliance, I've heard used)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In the modern day the threat has changed.

A couple of thugs with normal capacity hanguns could well have 30-50 rounds between them, in their guns.

If your threat is a long gun wielding active shooter terrorist, your wheel gun might well be a very poor choice compared to better current day offerings. :twocents:

Top Bottom