• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This one doesn't look good. A reminder to use caution when answering a door knock at night.

azstory.jpg

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...tal-police-shooting-ryan-whitaker/5459142002/

[video=youtube;675vUIszwtw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=675vUIszwtw[/video]

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Damn! Of course we don’t see exactly what the officer saw, but looks like he was way too quick pulling the trigger. Just my opinion.
    Does it look like the guy was a threat? I don’t see it.
    Looks to me that he may have looked through the peep hole, saw no one, stepped out to see who knocked, and is immediately killed with no time for him to comprehend anything.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Doesn't look like a good shoot. Appears the guy was retreating and submitting. Gun pointing away and him dropping to his knees. Hands going up as commanded.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    First...answering the door, gun in hand, and exiting through the doorway was probably a bad choice to begin with!
    The police had properly positioned themselves, announced their arrival and properly identified themselves.
    Domestics are the single most potentially dangerous situations a LEO can enter as emotions are high and actions are unpredictable.
    While the officer shot fairly quickly, within the same time frame that it takes to see whether or not an individual complies with officer instructions,
    the individual holding the weapon can turn, fire ,and strike an officer, injuring, maiming, or killing him...and officer's didn't have time to ascertain
    whether or not the individual was high on something or not.
    Tough call on the response...but with both officers going home that night!

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    First...answering the door, gun in hand, and exiting through the doorway was probably a bad choice to begin with!
    The police had properly positioned themselves, announced their arrival and properly identified themselves.
    Domestics are the single most potentially dangerous situations a LEO can enter as emotions are high and actions are unpredictable.
    While the officer shot fairly quickly, within the same time frame that it takes to see whether or not an individual complies with officer instructions,
    the individual holding the weapon can turn, fire ,and strike an officer, injuring, maiming, or killing him...and officer's didn't have time to ascertain
    whether or not the individual was high on something or not.
    Tough call on the response...but with both officers going home that night!

Most of your opinion there is crap!

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I saw him immediately go to his knees and start to raise his hands before he was shot. Where is the RIOTING, LOOTING, and other “peaceful” marches in response to this shooting? Why did this shooting not make it to the top of all the major news cycles? Where is the “celebrity outrage”?

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    This is no place for opinions. Right or wrong, you're still wrong.
    Seems some are so occupied with the second amendment, they're forgetting about the one that proceeds it. Remember, the second one is what guarantees the first one.
    Civility, amongst like minded people with differences, is not a weakness.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Looks like haste made waste. Didn't even have the time to assess the situation; in my unprofessional opinion.

I am going to write a letter to Jackson and Sharpton and ask why the delay.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I need to look at it again. It's an understatement to say things went very wrong here.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    ​Tragic, but justified.

I don't know, man. I don't want to second guess what the officer saw, but from the video it looks a hell of a lot like the dude who answered the door was surrendering when he was shot. I see where you are coming from, having been in the same profession, but this looks really bad from a non-leo perspective. I used to deal with armed people all the time, as did you, and I never shot anyone who appeared to be going to ground and surrendering.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Looks to me that he may have looked through the peep hole, saw no one, stepped out to see who knocked, and is immediately killed with no time for him to comprehend anything.

The lesson? Don't open your door unless you're 100% certain you know who is on the other side.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    It’s not clear enough video for me to have an opinion if it was a good or bad shoot.

If I hear the words Phoenix Police or whatever city Police I’m pretty sure going out with gun in hand on a domestic call is not a smart thing to do. For those that might say maybe he didn’t hear the officers, he should have asked who was knocking before going out.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    Bull**** shoot. He was on his knees submitting from what I could see. Not trying to armchair quarterback but from available video that was bull****. If your that ****ing nervous get another job. JMHO

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This is like OODA Loop: The Video.

He did try to ditch the gun, but it was akin to a soldier trying to throw up his hands and surrender after a live grenade just landed at his feet. Police have reactionary gaps just like everyone else, trying to surrender won't do you any good when they're already halfway through the trigger press because you threw open the door and stormed out with a gun in your hand. Tragic, but the police are not at fault simply because they failed to use superhuman means to save you from your own bad choices.

He wanted to play tough guy with a gun. :dunno:

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    To me it goes along with SOME police attitudes of shoot first and ask questions later. It's one of the biggest problems in our police forces now. My opinion of course.

Top Bottom