Shooting during the downtown Indianapolis riots, self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    If (and that's a big if) the circumstances surrounding the shooting are as he described and the state can't convince the jury otherwise, I think it's legitimate self-defense. Unfortunately, we can't hear from the other party, and witness testimony will be unreliable and affected by viewpoint and emotion. Few Hoosiers understand Indiana's self-defense laws.

When trouble is brewing (or already boiling), just get the heck away.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    As I am a well known pro 2a gun person I am asked by many of my co workers and friends about when or under what circumstances would I shoot someone.
    I reply I would if at all humanly possible run away from a threat before I used used deadly force I would willingly abandon my empty vehicle even if it was running. But that is if the situation allowed me the time and ability to retreat run away and somehow evade the threat and if I also had the time to evaluate the situation and decide I could safely flee the threat.

If a member of my family is present with me all room or possibility for retreat is eliminated and I then have no choice but to use what ever means I have available to me to neutralize the threat.

I do not have to be a lawyer to know in the end you will be MUCH better off if you can in any way or manor take action to safely avoid using deadly force to neutralize or eliminate a threat.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Food for thought for the "rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" folks... How many could come up with the costs of bail and defense? Sounds like this man is fortunate to have a father who can stand behind him financially. How long would he have spent in jail waiting for trial in the absence of legal help to get bond? (I'm guessing that his defense will cost a lot of money.) His best-case scenario is that his 2am visit to downtown will cost him tens of thousands of dollars.

The best way to win a gunfight is to avoid it in the first place.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Food for thought for the "rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" folks... How many could come up with the costs of bail and defense? Sounds like this man is fortunate to have a father who can stand behind him financially. How long would he have spent in jail waiting for trial in the absence of legal help to get bond? (I'm guessing that his defense will cost a lot of money.) His best-case scenario is that his 2am visit to downtown will cost him tens of thousands of dollars.

The best way to win a gunfight is to avoid it in the first place.
    There's insurance for that and if you carry a gun, thinking you might need to use it in self defense, you ought to look at insurance as part of your EDC. Having said that, no one in their right mind should go looking for opportunities to test whatever kind of insurance policies they have

Top Bottom