• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Good post! Do the Hogue Tamer grips make it any more difficult to conceal?

I'm thinking of getting a set for my 442.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Not sure. I know Darryl but I am not Darryl. I thought it was such good info and writing that I asked him if I could share it from his FB page.

Darryl Bolke retired from a Southern California police department as a Sr. Corporal after 19.5 years as a full time officer due to injuries sustained during a violent on-duty confrontation. He was a Firearms Instructor and Armorer for the Special Weapons and Tactics Team for 17 years, and the primary instructor for all firearms systems used by his agency. He also provided mandatory firearms training for the fire department Bomb Squad and Arson investigators. He assisted on the investigation of over 75 officer involved shootings assisting the administrative investigation team with the firearms portion of these investigations. He provided expert testimony in regards to firearms usage and police tactics in numerous court cases. Bolke also developed and implemented a nationally recognized edged weapons policy and training program for law enforcement.
    His past assignments have included 3.5 years in a full time bicycle unit and 4 years as a Tactical Flight Officer in the Air Support Unit, as well as 10 years as a Field Training Officer and a year assignment primarily working vice. A majority of his career was working at night in a patrol environment. He also spent several years as a licensed Private Investigator specializing in high level corporate cases and worked high level executive/VIP protection and high threat protection details in the private sector. He has been on staff with several organizations providing firearms and edged weapons instruction.
    Darryl Bolke is also the Unconventional Weapons editor for Surefire’s Combat Tactics magazine and has had numerous published magazine articles in both the U.S. and Japan on firearms, edged weapons, and related equipment. He has also authored numerous California P.O.S.T. certified classes.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I enjoyed the read.

Objectively with the small semi-autos out there, revolvers make less and less sense.

That being said, so long as you know their limitations, they still serve a purpose.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I enjoyed the read.

Objectively with the small semi-autos out there, revolvers make less and less sense.

That being said, so long as you know their limitations, they still serve a purpose.

I have a snub nose, but I'm not sure I want to take time away from shooting my main gun to try and get good with it. I bought it mostly because someone said "everyone should have a snubby". :)

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I love running the plate rack at 25 yards with my 36. Miss my model 60’s but only bobbed the hammer on one snub. Won’t do it again as I love shooting it single action once in awhile,

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

I have a set of Hogue 2-finger grips on my 360J and I love 'em...but I have smaller hands and often just throw the 360J in a pocket for a quick run out and like the size of the 2-finger grip because it just fits better in a pocket!
    I love my S&W J-Frame .38 special!

This thread regarding .38 special carry, is from this past year:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...defense/473949-any-cc-38-special-anymore.html

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a set of Hogue 2-finger grips on my 360J and I love 'em...but I have smaller hands and often just throw the 360J in a pocket for a quick run out and like the size of the 2-finger grip because it just fits better in a pocket!
    I love my S&W J-Frame .38 special!

This thread regarding .38 special carry, is from this past year:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...defense/473949-any-cc-38-special-anymore.html

I'm not sure if I ordered a two finger grip or not. I'm guessing it would be considered a 3 finger grip. I'll see how I like them. I'm sure I'll like the feel as I had Hogue grips on all the revolvers I have owned. It will be the concealability factor this time.

[FONT=&quot]S&W J-Frame Round Butt: OverMolded Rubber Monogrip - Black[/FONT]
    Sku: 60000

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm not sure if I ordered a two finger grip or not. I'm guessing it would be considered a 3 finger grip. I'll see how I like them. I'm sure I'll like the feel as I had Hogue grips on all the revolvers I have owned. It will be the concealability factor this time.

[FONT=&amp]S&W J-Frame Round Butt: OverMolded Rubber Monogrip - Black[/FONT]
    Sku: 60000

I believe you're getting the 3-finger grips which, when carried in a holster, is actually my preference,
    I only got the 2-fingered grips because it usually goes in the pocket of a jacket or vest.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I believe you're getting the 3-finger grips which, when carried in a holster, is actually my preference,
    I only got the 2-fingered grips because it usually goes in the pocket of a jacket or vest.

If I carry it, it will probably be in a holster. I'll see how this all develops. I'm sure I will like the feel of the grips much better when shooting. If I start carrying it more and want to be able to put in a pocket, I suppose I can change back to the factory grips.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    You know I own a G-42 .380. a G-43 9mm and carry a G-27 in .40, and long ago I gave my S&W Mdl 36 .38 spcl, to my youngest daughter, my S&W Mdl 60 also a .38 spcl, and my MCSD S&W Mdl 66 .357 magnum to my son the oldest.
    Years ago I had a S&W Airweight Mdl 37, and a Colt Commando, both .38 spcls.
    My only revolver is a S&W Mdl 629 in .44 Magnum, and danged if I don't miss all those snubs.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    Love my snub, carry it daily. In the winter I put it in my jacket pocket and hold it when I put my hands in my pocket. If I have to I'll just shoot through my jacket. I'm looking for K frame snubs now and bobbed hammer Colt King Cobras.

KARP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Nwi
    I bought a 642 for myself and a s&w 38 spcl bodyguard with a laser for my wife. I didn't think I would use it much but its so light I carry it everywhere. Easy to conceal even in hot weather.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I enjoyed the read.

I agree. I won't argue that they're obsolete, but besides being able to shoot from inside a coat pocket, I can't think of much a snub revolver can do that my CM9 can't do better--for me. I checked. I rented a S&W 638 and shot it side by side my CM9 (I like revolvers and was hoping for a good reason to buy a snubby). As for "entangled engagements", unless you're 110lbs or disabled, I would imagine a good knife might be more effective than either type of handgun.

One point he made that's beyond argument, is that revolvers can be had in states that restrict their subjects to 19th century weapons

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I enjoyed the read.

I’m one of those that knows their limitations but I much more prefer a revolver in my pocket. I grew up cowboy action shooting with my dad so it’s what I got used to. I tried carrying semi-autos, shooting then more, and overall tried to switch over to having more rounds but I found I always preferred to carry my 642 in my pocket.

Then I doubled down and got a full size Redhawk to carry :laugh:

Top Bottom