• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    At the range training a new shooter this morning I was asked to list my preferences on INGO for my personal CCW and EDC preferences. The INGO member (one of the few that took up my offer to meet at the range and demonstrate)was surprised I owned a few HC 9's with modifications that I do not use on my street guns. His eyes were opened on just why as we demonstrated the fails in the bay. Admitting that he had no idea as he has not been shooting long enough to see the problems with some accessories. Again, they may have a place in competition but you will not see any of these on my carry piece. Warning...this list may bring some disagreement as we are all free to have our own perceptions.

Plastic Holsters
    Plastic Magazine followers (Wilson etc)
    Shortened slide stop for looks on right side of gun
    Fiber Optic Front sights
    Porting
    Slide Cuts
    Dots
    Nothing less than 4lb trigger pull
    MIM parts
    Lightweight frames
    Painted On Finishes
    Recoil Buffers
    Trigger Shoes of any kind
    Oversized Mag releases
    Oversized Slide Stops
    Oversized Cylinder releases
    Moon Clips
    Radiused charge holes
    Bobbed Hammers
    Taped Safeties
    Extended Magazines
    More than Six round cylinders in any caliber
    Fat Target grips
    Slim grips
    Swartz Style safeties (Kimber) etc
    Rails
    WML
    Lasers
    Mottos, names or statements written on piece

Again, this is just my Personal Preference for any piece I would carry on the street. Please no Personal attacks from the usual. Just curious if any INGOERS have a no way list?

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Since I still consider myself a new shooter can you break down each item with a brief explanation? Some are obvious but there are some that I'm not getting. :ingo:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Since I still consider myself a new shooter can you break down each item with a brief explanation? Some are obvious but there are some that I'm not getting. :ingo:

that would take too long to explain in this medium but would be glad to meet you at the range and demonstrate hands on

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Painted on finishes

Care to elaborate on that?

I use A Sonic cleaner for my gun parts. I found that many of the painted finishes come off in cleaning and/or with 1000’s Of presentations the Coating comes off as well. To reprotect the exposed finish I find it easier to just touch up blue the carbon steel or bead my stainless.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Hmm, my extractor is not chamfered, was removed before hand. Are you saying that it helps the extractor jump over the round?

Edit: I'm not trying to give you a hard time, genuinely curious as I've never heard this before.

no worries. I didn’t take it that way at all. It sounds like you had yours professionally done. I have seen some poor jobs. How is the crisp corner of your charge hole where it meets the extractor. Is there less metal at this junction? If you are getting 100 % percent extraction then no worries. Also, I personally wouldn’t want to explain this mod to the jury for any benefit I get out of it. Thanks for the question.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I use A Sonic cleaner for my gun parts. I found that many of the painted finishes come off in cleaning and/or with 1000’s Of presentations the Coating comes off as well. To reprotect the exposed finish I find it easier to just touch up blue the carbon steel or bead my stainless.

Fair enough.

Over the last few decades, my 60 has been my go to for many of the reasons you mention. I have toyed with some others and except for the P365xl; nothing has stuck.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    no worries. I didn’t take it that way at all. It sounds like you had yours professionally done. I have seen some poor jobs. How is the crisp corner of your charge hole where it meets the extractor. Is there less metal at this junction? If you are getting 100 % percent extraction then no worries. Also, I personally wouldn’t want to explain this mod to the jury for any benefit I get out of it. Thanks for the question.

Denny Reichard did my mod 13, he removed the extractor at my request. He did mention using a file on the extractor and the transition is smooth, that may have been what he was talking about.

Top Bottom