• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris783016

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Just became an Indiana resident and still work in Chicago. I saw online that you can carry in your car only while traveling through Illinois. All the concealed carry reciprocity sites say no carry at all, but when you look it up there’s part of the Illinois statute that says you can carry in the car with an Ltch. Does anyone have any experience with this? Just got my license and would like to know your thoughts. Thanks.

Chris783016

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Thanks guys. That’s my understanding too. It’s just good to know if I’m in a bad situation I’d be able to stay in my car and be safe.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    ONLY in the car, if you get out gun has to be locked up. Which means if you stop for gas, unload & lock gun up before you step out..
    It doesn't say anything about unloading it. Only that it must be stored in a locked vehicle.
    https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39

(430 ILCS 66/40) Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications.

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a

firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under

the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Big thing to remember, if you are stopped and asked about a gun by the officer, you must tell them about it. You don't have to volunteer it though. Notice that applies to passengers as well.

(h) If an officer of a law enforcement agency initiates an investigative stop, including but not limited to a traffic stop, of a licensee or a non-resident carrying a concealed firearm under subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act, upon the request of the officer the licensee or non-resident shall disclose to the officer that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm under this Act, or present the license upon the request of the officer if he or she is a licensee or present upon the request of the officer evidence under paragraph (2) of subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act that he or she is a non-resident qualified to carry under that subsection. The disclosure requirement under this subsection (h) is satisfied if the licensee presents his or her license to the officer or the non-resident presents to the officer evidence under paragraph (2) of subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act that he or she is qualified to carry under that subsection. Upon the request of the officer, the licensee or non-resident shall also identify the location of the concealed firearm and permit the officer to safely secure the firearm for the duration of the investigative stop. During a traffic stop, any passenger within the vehicle who is a licensee or a non-resident carrying under subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act must comply with the requirements of this subsection (h).

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I just came over from that cesspool of a state also and am waiting for my LTC here in Indiana. What you already read was correct, must stay inside vehicle and locked up if you leave vehicle. As said it is not necessary to unload, locked in vehicle or in a safe of some kind is fine. Jim.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    It doesn't say anything about unloading it. Only that it must be stored in a locked vehicle.
    https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39

Thanks for finding the code KLB. That does confirm that it is ok to exit the vehicle and pump gas as long as you are able to do the pay at the pump. Unattended means you are no longer in close proximity.

Your Google Fu skills just earned you rep points :):

Edit:
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to KLB again. :dunno:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't get out of the boat.

*stares off into the horizon of Illinois* Damn right, don't get out of the boat. *stares down river*

20090603230104_apocalypse_now.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Just became an Indiana resident and still work in Chicago. I saw online that you can carry in your car only while traveling through Illinois. All the concealed carry reciprocity sites say no carry at all, but when you look it up there’s part of the Illinois statute that says you can carry in the car with an Ltch. Does anyone have any experience with this? Just got my license and would like to know your thoughts. Thanks.

From what I can tell, lots of people carry in Chicago.... especially around Englewood.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    wait, you can carry (in your car only - not on your person) with your IN ltch into Illinois??? forgive my ignorance, but i just assumed we could not.

Top Bottom