• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2020
    Greenfield
    Say I get stopped by an officer because I was speeding. He gets to my car and asks for license and registration. If I’m carrying at the time, gun on my hip, should I tell him, or wait for him to ask? I’ve heard people say both ways and I would like to know what the people on here think.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    IANAL

You are under no legal obligation to notify an officer that you are legally carrying a firearm in Indiana. Do your homework before you travel out of state however.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I always appreciated being told and typically replied with "glad to hear it, you leave yours where it is and I'll do the same" or something very similar. 1mil-high is correct that it is not legally required that you inform the officers.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not LEO here.

As a driver (who likes to get where he is going,) I am well aware that;

#1 - I am not legally obligated to inform, in Indiana.
    #2 - When my license is called in or looked up, my LTCH is listed in the documentation. In other words, they already know.

That said, officers often really appreciate you informing them and behaving accordingly. They often appreciate it so much that a ticket will become a warning. :rockwoot:

I always hand the officer my pink paper along with my driver's license. I have them ready when I see that I might be pulled over and make sure hands at 10/2 when officer makes it to the car.

So far so good, only warnings in recent years.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have informed and not informed, both with good endings. I’m probably leaning more towards the not inform policy. Not to be disrespectful but just because it doesn’t really pertain to why I’m being stopped. I probably won’t bring up that peanut butter gives me gas either since the LEO has other things to worry about. :dunno:

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    Yes, here in IN we don't have to inform. 10 years or so ago, I got pulled over and informed right away since there was a pistol on top of my registration in my glove box. I informed him of the situation and he opened the glove box and he retrieved both items. Wrote me a ticket, complimented me on my handgun choice and sent me on my way.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I appreciate knowing ahead of time if an action you may need to take will result in a firearm suddenly being visible. Registration in the glove box with a gun and wallet in the console with a gun are the most common. Telegraphing is a super easy way to make sure no one is surprised. "My wallet is in the console, there is also a minty CMP 1911 in the same compartment."

Most cops I know have a similar speech to phylodog.

As an aside, handguns just laying in the front seat are surprisingly common.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I remember reading a pro tip here on the INGO a few years ago. They said to yell, I HAVE A GUN, and show it to the officer as he approaches, by sticking it out the window. Just so he isn’t surprised when he gets up there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I appreciate knowing ahead of time if an action you may need to take will result in a firearm suddenly being visible. Registration in the glove box with a gun and wallet in the console with a gun are the most common. Telegraphing is a super easy way to make sure no one is surprised. "My wallet is in the console, there is also a minty CMP 1911 in the same compartment."

Most cops I know have a similar speech to phylodog.

As an aside, handguns just laying in the front seat are surprisingly common.

I cant keep coffee in my cup or the cell phone in place while driving in indy. Too many distracted drivers and obstacles to drive around so why would I leave my handgun on the seat. Makes no sense to me. But thats just me.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Also not LEO but a former CCW instructor in Illinois. Illinois is a state where you must only inform if asked and the LEO will see your CCW when they run your plates if you are driving your own vehicle. What I would tell my students was if the handgun is well concealed and not where it should be accidently exposed you need not inform. If you are carrying at 4 o'clock and must get your wallet out of your right hip pocket it could be exposed. Then my advice was to inform, the idea is to not surprise the LEO, surprise is not a good thing. If you agree or not that is fine, just the way I feel about things. Jim.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Here to tell everybody, in MOST cases, if you politely inform that you have a handgun and hand the officer your permit along with your license, you’ll probably get a warning and talk guns for 10 minutes on the side of the road.

Just sayin’.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Here to tell everybody, in MOST cases, if you politely inform that you have a handgun and hand the officer your permit along with your license, you’ll probably get a warning and talk guns for 10 minutes on the side of the road.

Just sayin’.

We don't have permits. Also why would you hand over your ltch when it's connected to your DL? Going to hand them your birth cert and SS card too?

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Since nearly everyone who’s replied isn’t current or former LE like you asked, we appreciate it when you let us know. Especially if it’s in one of those common areas where documents are typically located. No you’re not required to do so. Sometimes we already know if you have an LTCH before we get up to the window and sometimes we don’t. Some times we ask if there are any weapons in the car and sometimes we don’t. There isn’t a manual for how every officer of every different department acts or has been trained. In some places any mention of a weapon will get you pulled out of the car and separated from said weapon while business is conducted. Normally I’ll say good on you for carrying and that I won’t touch or show you mine if you do the same.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Not LEO.
    Personal experience goes both ways. I have informed and it been a non issue and I have been disarmed for the "safety" of the officer. I have only been pulled over for speeding and usually around 10 over at the most. I don't routinely speed and have only gotten a couple tickets over the years. Last interaction was doing about 8-9 over the limit. Was asked if I had a weapon and I said yes. Officer came around and removed the weapon from the glove box and took it back with him to his vehicle. He returned with a ticket and placed my firearm in the back seat of my car before returning to his. Not sure what they teach but there is no standard for the reaction you get from members of even the same PD or County Officers. After that interaction I no longer inform. I also plan ahead and keep my firearm on me or at least a different location than any paperwork needed for a traffic stop.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    We don't have permits. Also why would you hand over your ltch when it's connected to your DL? Going to hand them your birth cert and SS card too?
    It is not connected to your DL. If you run a person by Drivers License number, it will not show.

If you run by name and DOB, it will query several databases including handgun licenses, but with the name and DOB info. That is why it will return, it has nothing to do with the DL.

As far as notifying... I agree, if you do, you are more likely to be stopped longer as you talk guns.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    When I was a Municiple LE I appreciated the heads up And said no problem. If they were up front they usually had nothing else going on. If they didn't mention it, it still usually wasn't an issue unless the body language said otherwise (being extremely fidgety, nervous etc.)

Having a gun or not doesn't matter but being coordial usually does.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Say I get stopped by an officer because I was speeding. He gets to my car and asks for license and registration. If I’m carrying at the time, gun on my hip, should I tell him, or wait for him to ask? I’ve heard people say both ways and I would like to know what the people on here think.
    I just give them my driver's license and carry permit along with my registration and proof of insurance all at once. In the one in a million chance the a trigger happy cop notices my gun under my knee I don’t want to get shot. I’m not trying to start a debate but I’m just not that worried about telling the cop I’m legally armed.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan

Semantics...I don’t think you should have to one anyway, but...the majority of cops are looking to put away people on good busts that help society. I pull over a dude for speeding and he hands me a DL and a pink card, I’ll do my normal checks, then most likely walk up the car, hand you your stuff back, ask what you’re carrying, ask you if you’ve done anything else cool that’s gun-related, tell you to keep up the good work, and say “have a great day!”

It lets me know with a high percentage of possibility that you’re a good person and not worth pursuing any sort of legal action. Are there bad guys with pink cards? Sure, but we can tell the difference.

C’mon man, it’s not that deep. In a lot of cases, it’s literally a “get out of a ticket” card. I know (some) folks on here bunk that we’re just meathead jackboots barely capable of having a purpose beyond serving the King’s edicts, but we really can walk, talk, chew tobacco, use the radio and even use a gun at the same time!

Top Bottom