Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Warrior poet on Appendix carry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jsharmon7 View Post
    I think you said something about snakes. I’ll go listen to “Copperhead Road” and reassess.
    Oh, and BTW JS, if I can call you JS, if you like Steve Earle, take a look at Junkyard if you've not heard them. "Slipping Away" and "Simple Man" are pretty good. "Hands Off" is a good story, and "Blooze" is fun.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Not that I necessarily agree with this point of view, but Mr. Spaulding who is no flash in the pan or johnny come lately, doesn't see why you need to look at all.

Michael Swisher

Plinker

User Info Menu

I mean I just elect not to shoot myself regardless of where I carry idk about everyone else though...

Master

User Info Menu

I was taught to unclip my 2:30 position IWB holster while reholstering w/o looking from Fortress Defense since I had a major hurdle due to a shoulder injury. I suppose I could carry 3:00 lefty OWB but didn't have a holster in time for the class. I have not managed to shoot myself since that quality training years ago. So I need to buy a lottery ticket? My friend advocates either AIWB or cross draw if you are seated even if for seconds. His name? Mercop. He'll even give you a free demo if you suit up...
    Local tribal warlord

I am Asher's son.

Body of a 56 yr old. Skeleton of a 90 yr old

Marksman

User Info Menu

Just an observation I have seen a vast number of people sweep themselves when holstering at the 3 or 9 o'clock position As in the muzzle goes inward when they try to make contact with the holster. Wherw if they had a discharhe I'd be a nice downward into the pelvic/hip area. And it's been with everything from cheap to better made kydex holsters.

Like everything it always boils down to the person. And good and bad examples of both have probably been witnessed by most here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ECS686 View Post
    Just an observation I have seen a vast number of people sweep themselves when holstering at the 3 or 9 o'clock position As in the muzzle goes inward when they try to make contact with the holster. Wherw if they had a discharhe I'd be a nice downward into the pelvic/hip area. And it's been with everything from cheap to better made kydex holsters.

Like everything it always boils down to the person. And good and bad examples of both have probably been witnessed by most here
    Yup. IMO People overblow the issue of where the gun is pointing in appendix carry compared to hip carry. I've seen exponentially more unsafe holstering with hip carry than appendix. Using the muzzle to work the gun into the holster is, in fact, an issue I've only seen with hip carry.

interesting that the most-often cited problem with appendix carry -- where the gun is pointing during holstering / when it's holstered -- seems to be just as big of an issue with hip carry, if not moreso.
    If you are standing upright, do not worry if your shadow is crooked.

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

Sounds to me like a fair amount of folks, including some of these "famous" trainers, are justifying pointing the the gun at themselves for holstering while AIWB carry by saying that strong side carriers point the gun at themselves too?

I'm just some dummy that's been through some classes and a bit of competition, but why wouldn't we emphasize to not point the gun at yourself when holstering PERIOD? You don't get any free passes. It's never OK to point the gun at yourself.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and I’m on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Boy, this argument never gets old......
    On the other side of fear lies freedom.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Sounds to me like a fair amount of folks, including some of these "famous" trainers, are justifying pointing the the gun at themselves for holstering while AIWB carry by saying that strong side carriers point the gun at themselves too?

I'm just some dummy that's been through some classes and a bit of competition, but why wouldn't we emphasize to not point the gun at yourself when holstering PERIOD? You don't get any free passes. It's never OK to point the gun at yourself.
    Yoy have a perfectly valid point and sounds simple but its not that simple. Why? People are well.......people!

Heres what I mean Everyone that has a Driver's License took a test that says yeild right of way, don't speed, stop at a stop sign, and now don't text and drive and well here we are.

My observation is just what I have seen as a FLETC certified Firearms instructor and now teaching occasionally in the private sector as well as seeing a variety of skill levels in matches etc. Firearms training (or peoples skill and ability to grasp) is a triangle. Most folks at the top have mastered and are squared away and can safely do all handling drills safely, weak hand stuff etc But most of the bottom 3/4 need work and a majority of those think they got it but don't.

Master

User Info Menu

686, may we should just teach Aikido and swordsmanship? I know a guy in your AO...
    Local tribal warlord

I am Asher's son.

Body of a 56 yr old. Skeleton of a 90 yr old

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast