• ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    [video=youtube_share;RcrjMrIV0UA]https://youtu.be/RcrjMrIV0UA[/video]

So Spencer Keepers has done a similar video in the past along with some other trainers I respect, but I have to say this is the most humorous one I have seen.

But you will shoot your d#*ck off in 3***2***1***

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I don't know why we have to keep having this conversation. Unless you're carrying a 320, modern guns don't go off by themselves.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Cedartop, I lost part of your message hidden under the video.

I watched that last night. He makes some sense however he didn't give any examples of OWB carry. I'll check but I don't think my pistols are directly pointing at skin with my OWB holsters.

I would only carry AIWB after training and a lot of practice.

I'm not worried about a gun going off by itself, but me doing something wrong.

Part of the reason that no matter how "good" I get, I will always "look" my gun into the holster.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I like the way James Reeves of TFB-TV describes it: a-endix carry. Because if you do it long enough you blow off your pp.

But seriously, if it works for you go for it. I don't find it comfortable personally, but I don't consider it particularly unsafe if done with the proper holster and pistol.

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Appendix carry wards off 2 types of people.

People who are round shaped (barreled chested) as apposed to oval shaped. When your body has more of a constant curve, AIWB is no more concealable and usually less comfortable.

and people with bad gun handling.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Cedartop, I lost part of your message hidden under the video.

I watched that last night. He makes some sense however he didn't give any examples of OWB carry. I'll check but I don't think my pistols are directly pointing at skin with my OWB holsters.

The one with Spencer Keepers IIRC he uses a SIRT pistol and you can see the laser cutting the body no matter which type of carry you use. Even with OWB if you use anything like a conventional stance you will at some point muzzle yourself. Of course that will vary with body type, holster, stance.

I would only carry AIWB after training and a lot of practice.

There are techniques that make it more efficient and safer.

I'm not worried about a gun going off by itself, but me doing something wrong.

That is the vast majority of cases no matter what type of carry you employ.

Part of the reason that no matter how "good" I get, I will always "look" my gun into the holster.

I have no problem with the average person (non LEO) looking their gun into their holster. Should you be able to do it without looking? Sure, but there is absolutely no reason to routinely do it that way and plenty of reasons not to.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I like the way James Reeves of TFB-TV describes it: a-endix carry. Because if you do it long enough you blow off your pp.

But seriously, if it works for you go for it. I don't find it comfortable personally, but I don't consider it particularly unsafe if done with the proper holster and pistol.

Well that is just ignorant and I definitely disagree, but truthfully I don't care how anybody carries if it doesn't put me or others in jeopardy. At home I carry a G44 in an OWB holster because that combo works for what I need it for at home. At work AIWB is really the only truly accessible method of carry that works for me, in my situation.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    People with bad gun handling skills often do not or will not recognise it. Those folks should not carry appendix.

Too many advocate AIWB, without due emphasis on safe gun handling.

There is nothing safe about pointing your gun at any part of yourself. If you cannot holster or draw without pointing at yourself, you should find another way.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    ^ Same. I'm skinny and tall, so I print less and feel more comfortable with a nice appendix rig. That said, I think the key to comfortable appendix carry is a quality holster and belt combo. Don't go into it with the cheapest piece of plastic you can find that fits your gun or a normal/ standard belt and expect it to be comfortable.

Abominator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2019
    Auburn
    I carry AIWB. I was nervous a 1st but did a lot of dryfire and am very deliberate and careful when re-holstering. I can't imagine conceal carrying any other way. I will admit my P365 is more comfortable than my P226 lol.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    TWP hit it on the head that it isn't any more safe if it goes off in a holster at most other positions. And while body type can play a role with safety and or effectiveness bottom line the people that are not safe with AIWB are probably not be safe with other methods. Kyle Lamb had an excellent video in on how to AIWB in a vehicle and reholster from years back.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have no problem with the average person (non LEO) looking their gun into their holster. Should you be able to do it without looking? Sure, but there is absolutely no reason to routinely do it that way and plenty of reasons not to.

Can you explain some of the reasons not to look your gun into the holster? It seems to me that if you’re sure enough the threat is over that you’re putting the gun away, then a glance down isn’t an issue. I know training is your realm though, so I’m interested in your thoughts. The only reason I’m coming up with is for transition back to a long gun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Can you explain some of the reasons not to look your gun into the holster? It seems to me that if you’re sure enough the threat is over that you’re putting the gun away, then a glance down isn’t an issue. I know training is your realm though, so I’m interested in your thoughts. The only reason I’m coming up with is for transition back to a long gun.

This. Transitions not included*, If its not safe enough to take your eyes off the target to holster, why in the hell are you holstering? The only thing that comes to mind is you managed to stop a threat without shooting and you have him laid out prone, or he's hit and on the ground but not totally incapacitated. But in that case, the gun goes on the ground when police arrive. So no need to holster there anyway.

*And if I'm also carrying a rifle, I'm OWB in a traditional holster anyway, not IWB.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

As I mentioned and especially with IWB carry I think most situations you should look. For LE I do see some cases where it might not be the way to go. Remember dealing with suspects is a dynamic situation and just because there may not be a lethal threat doesn't mean there is no threat. I will take the time to write out a more complete response when not at work, but here is a small article for now which just touches on the subject lightly.

https://www.corneredcat.com/reholster-without-looking-no/

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As I mentioned and especially with IWB carry I think most situations you should look. For LE I do see some cases where it might not be the way to go. Remember dealing with suspects is a dynamic situation and just because there may not be a lethal threat doesn't mean there is no threat. I will take the time to write out a more complete response when not at work, but here is a small article for now which just touches on the subject lightly.

https://www.corneredcat.com/reholster-without-looking-no/

That was a good read. It reinforced my thoughts on the issue.

Sure I can holster without looking and that is as much of a function of practiced draws as it is re-holstering. If I'm not looking when I draw and am getting a proper grip on the pistol, I have to know where the holster is. After enough reps, I am very cognizant of exactly where my holster is.

However, as I am learning through dry fire reps is that doing a LOT of reps of anything builds that "auto reflex"/"muscle memory", whatever you want to call it, I will do as I practiced. So if I do rep after rep of no lookie re-holstering, when I get to the range, I won't look.

Just like when I was repping out reloads on a closed slide in dry fire, when I got to the range, I shoved a mag in and tried to shoot. Doh! I need to cycle that slide! Now when I practice reloads, I use dummy rounds and practice from slide lock and make sure I drive the mag home and close the slide in one fluid movement.

This goes along with catching rounds on the unload portion of a game. I think it's neat and I do practice it sometimes, but I'm wondering if I should. If I do it during dry fire enough, I will do it during a game and a RO might not like that. But that's another discussion for another thread, lol.

Top Bottom