• ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I've had a few requests, here's my next "legal scenario."

You're entering a local tavern when you see a large sign on the front door that says the following:

"ABSOLUTELY NO FIREARMS!!
    ANYONE CARRYING A FIREARM IS EXPRESSLY DENIED ENTRY TO THESE PREMISES.
    IF YOU CARRY A GUN INTO THIS BUILDING YOU ARE SUBJECT TO IMMEDIATE ARREST AND PROSECUTION."

You have your License to Carry Handgun, so you ignore the sign and enter the tavern. You have several beers at the bar.

As you stand up to go to the bathroom, your untucked shirt rides up on your hip and a waitress notices your Glock M30 .45 in your IWB holster.

She reports you to the owner.

No one says anything to you - the owner just call the cops.

A police officer arrives, waits for back-up, then enters the bar and confronts you. He takes possession of your Glock. He asks to see your LTCH.

Then he asks you if you've been drinking.

You show him your LTCH, and tell him the truth - you've had several beers.

Are you going to jail?

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Disregarding the sign could be construed as trespassing. We can lawfully carry into a bar in Indiana, and drink (not always the best decision).

I'd have to say no, you would not go to jail. The individual was never given the chance to leave on his own. A short discussion with the officers and he would be on his way (after a sober driver picked him up).

jrich2125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Atlanta, IN
    I would have to say yes. As it was posted on private property no firearms. If the owner called the cops he obviously is going to follow through on the charges.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Since Indiana Code is silent on the carrying of a firearm into a bar room or resturant that serves alcohol, and Indiana also has no laws about signage forbidding guns, then no you would NOT be arrested. If an officer were called, and you were asked to leave and you DIDNT leave, then you could be arrested for trespass.

The only IC that I can find that deals with intoxicated persons and weapons is:

IC 35-47-4-1
    Delivery of deadly weapon to intoxicated person
    Sec. 1. A person who sells, barters, gives, or delivers any deadly weapon to any person at the time in a state of intoxication, knowing him to be in a state of intoxication, or to any person who is in the habit of becoming intoxicated, and knowing him to be a person who is in the habit of becoming intoxicated, commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Since a person is not considered legally intoxicated in Indiana until they are a .08 BAC then the person would be in the clear. And since this deals with the delivery of a weapon to an intoxicated person, and not about a person carrying a gun while intoxicated, then again, I dont think this IC would apply.

INGunGuy

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If he saw the sign, he should be.

If he claims he didn't walk past the sign and it's possible, he shouldn't be.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Two quick questions.
    What is the waitress wearing?
    Was I drinking with SE?

Sorry, I kid, I kid!

You may be taken in, but not processed or jailed. Bad situation either way, I'll keep an eye for the answer on this one.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    In the end it would be up to the owner. IMO if you "need" to carry into said bar. Get a small ankle setup.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    If he saw the sign, he should be.

If he claims he didn't walk past the sign and it's possible, he shouldn't be.

Jack,

Why should a person be jailed for seeing or not seeing a sign forbidding firearms since there is no Indiana Code expressly forbidding the carrying in a bar room or resturant that serves alcohol. Should a person be arrested for attempted DWI just because they are in a bar and have the ability to drive DWI?

INGunGuy

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    You aren't going to jail unless there is more to the story. Well, you might go to jail, but you shouldn't. You could be asked to leave, however. If the LEO is up on his law, he probably won't even show up.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    The owner or police must ask you to leave, they might tell you to not return but there is nothing they can do, it isn't a government owned building, the sign means nothing! Carry everywhere but where there are metal detectors!

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    WOW, am I the first person to see this... my guess is yes, you could be arrest for being drunk in public. It has nothing to do with the firearm.

RNM,

Well the question stated nothing about the person being drunk, only that they had a few drinks at the bar. Since none of that information is given, that one must assume that the person is NOT drunk or at least would blow a .08 BAC to be legally drunk. You have committed no infraction, or broken any law by carrying into a bar, and having a few drinks. The person who is doing the drinking better ensure they do not get to the .08 BAC or they could be arrested for public intoxication, but still no IC that I can find deals specifically with carrying while intoxicated. As I stated before IC 35-47-4-1
    Delivery of deadly weapon to intoxicated person

Deals with delivery or a weapon to an intoxicated person.

BUT, with the information given, then NO, the person would not be arrested since they have not broken a law...

INGunGuy

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If you act within the law during the conversation with the LEO, I see no reason you should go to jail - legally or morally. A sign does not make law, it merely informs of the owner's opinions on what he wants on his land.

Does the owner have the right to ask you to leave? Yes.
    Does the owner have the right to create a felony or misdemeanor that otherwise does not exist in law? No.

Property rights do not create law.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If you act within the law during the conversation with the LEO, I see no reason you should go to jail - legally or morally. A sign does not make law, it merely informs of the owner's opinions on what he wants on his land.

Does the owner have the right to ask you to leave? Yes.
    Does the owner have the right to create a felony or misdemeanor that otherwise does not exist in law? No.

Property rights do not create law.

That's my thinking path:

If the owner is a dick (going on second hand info from a waitress on top of being a jerk for not allowing firearms), he would scream and yell about trespass. However, no opportunity was made to ask you to leave. They simply called the cops. I have a feeling that if you said they didn't ask me anything, they just called you guys (the cops), the cops would probably tell the owner to stop being a jerk, but may ask you to leave/put the gun in the car/etc...

The fear of prison is here, but the actuality, I don't think one is going to jail.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The IC for Trespass is IC 35-43-2-2. I think the question is whether the sign constitutes "denial of entry".

IC 35-43-2-2
    Criminal trespass; denial of entry; permission to enter; exceptions
    Sec. 2. (a) A person who:
    (1) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the real property of another person after having been denied entry by the other person or that person's agent;

STUFF SNIPPED

(b) A person has been denied entry under subdivision (a)(1) of this section when the person has been denied entry by means of:
    (1) personal communication, oral or written;
    (2) posting or exhibiting a notice at the main entrance in a manner that is either prescribed by law or likely to come to the attention of the public; or

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Maybe, it depends.

You could go for Criminal Trespass and Public Intoxication.

Or, the cops could tell you to hit the road (or call you a cab) after they give you a trespass warning.

Have never seen this situation prosecuted though but we don't have many signs, if any, up here.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    The IC for Trespass is IC 35-43-2-2. I think the question is whether the sign constitutes "denial of entry".

IC 35-43-2-2
    Criminal trespass; denial of entry; permission to enter; exceptions
    Sec. 2. (a) A person who:
    (1) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the real property of another person after having been denied entry by the other person or that person's agent;

STUFF SNIPPED

(b) A person has been denied entry under subdivision (a)(1) of this section when the person has been denied entry by means of:
    (1) personal communication, oral or written;
    (2) posting or exhibiting a notice at the main entrance in a manner that is either prescribed by law or likely to come to the attention of the public; or

Scutter,

IC 35-43-2-2 states that the person has been denied entry, so if the person's name was on a sign forbidding entry, then yes, they would be trespassing, but just coming onto the property with a handgun would not be a trespassing offense.

INGunGuy

Top Bottom