• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question (or if its been asked before), but can someone explain the terminology for tasers/stun guns? I know some get jabbed into the person and some shoot two little spikes.

Whats the legality of carrying either of these in Indiana??? Thanks guys!

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The naming terminology is backwards, in my opinion.

A stun-gun is hand held and doesn't fire projectiles. A visible electric arc can be seen jumping across the anode and cathode.

stun-gun.jpg

A taser shoots electrified probes that stick into a person's body and jolt them.

stun_gun_1.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Whats the legality of carrying either of these in Indiana???

In Indiana, carrying a TASER requires an LTCH. Carrying a stun gun does not.

IC 35-47-8
    Chapter 8. Regulation of Electronic Stun Weapons, Tasers, and Stun Guns

IC 35-47-8-1
    "Electronic stun weapon" defined
    Sec. 1. As used in this chapter, "electronic stun weapon" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge that exceeds the equivalency of a five (5) milliamp sixty (60) hertz shock; and
    (2) used for the purpose of temporarily incapacitating a person.
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.3.

IC 35-47-8-2
    "Stun gun" defined
    Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "stun gun" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge that equals or does not exceed the equivalency of a five (5) milliamp sixty (60) hertz shock; and

IC 35-47-8-3
    "Taser" defined
    Sec. 3. As used in this chapter, "taser" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge or shock through the use of a projectile; and

IC 35-47-8-4
    Applicability of handgun provisions
    Sec. 4. IC 35-47-2 applies to an electronic stun weapon or taser.
    (IC 35-47-2 covers LTCH issuance)

IC 35-47-8-5
    Stun guns; purchase, possession, and sale; use in commission of crime; use on law enforcement officer
    Sec. 5. (a) A person eighteen (18) years of age or over may purchase or possess a stun gun.
    (b) A person who sells or furnishes a stun gun to a person who is less than eighteen (18) years of age commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    (c) A person who uses a stun gun in the commission of a crime commits a Class A misdemeanor.
    (d) A person who uses a stun gun on a law enforcement officer while the officer is performing the officer's duties commits a Class D felony.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Stun guns are pretty worthless. they hurt a lot, but don't incapacitate the person. I don't really like the idea of just pissing the attacker off.

Tasers are much more effective because the frequency of the current interferes with the body's electrical system and will cause the attacker to lose control of their body and fall to the ground (still no guarantee).

I prefer my defense tool to have more than one shot and continue doing the job while I am running away.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    I prefer my defense tool to have more than one shot and continue doing the job while I am running away.

Actually that is what the civilian version of the Taser is designed for. It has a longer cycle than the LE version allowing the person that deploys it to lay it down and get away. After you make a police report, you forward it to Taser and they replace your Taser for free.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Actually that is what the civilian version of the Taser is designed for. It has a longer cycle than the LE version allowing the person that deploys it to lay it down and get away. After you make a police report, you forward it to Taser and they replace your Taser for free.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I still prefer a gun. More shots and cheaper to practice with.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Interesting, I didn't know that. I still prefer a gun. More shots and cheaper to practice with.

I agree with you, but think of this.

There might be a situation where you legally COULD NOT shoot but you could use the Taser to effect your get away. Just something to think about.......espicially for the wives that might not want to carry a gun. And trust me........the Taser ride is NO fun, nope none at all.

While I am a Taser Instructor for my PD, I am not pushing the Taser for any other reason than I know it works.

:patriot:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    espicially for the wives that might not want to carry a gun. And trust me........the Taser ride is NO fun, nope none at all.
    :patriot:

Or perhaps a good alternative for people that can not carry a gun to work such as teachers, or even nurses could carry a taser from the parking lot into the hospital and back out.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Or perhaps a good alternative for people that can not carry a gun to work such as teachers, or even nurses could carry a taser from the parking lot into the hospital and back out.

Zactly, and I can tell you that since we started using Tasers people tend to obey when they come out. Before in situations when you had someone at gunpoint they knew you couldn't shoot them and continued to act a fool. But now the word is out that we WILL use the Taser (I said USE not MISUSE) and people tend to play nice now. The "civillian" model of the Taser (C2) is expensive, but as long as it works the same as the X26, then IMO it's worth the money and if I had more of it my wife would have one.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    As a retailer and owner of two of the Taser International C2 tasers I have to say that I am quite impressed with their product line. These tasers have a built in light and laser sight as well as having a 15 foot range. In addition these are also stun guns in that if you have two attackers you can taser one of them and if the other still decides to peruse you you can stun them at the same time. This can also be used if for some reason you miss on the taser shot.

Another huge benefit of tasers is that they can go where other firearms cannot. For instance most companies that have stated policies pertaining to no firearms in parking lots do not mention anything about tasers since they are not lethal.

:yesway::yesway: for the Taser International C2, we have two of them that we keep in our vehicles or on our person depending on the situation.

If you would like more information on them, just drop me a PM.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The one thing that always confused me about tasers just how effective are they against heavy clothing? I mean we live in an area where part of the year people are going to be wearing very heavy coats, will a taser get through that material?

Top Bottom