• pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs

Man robbed in the Centreville area

About 4:10 a.m. Sunday, July 30, officers were called to the area of Newton Patent Drive and Newton Tavern Drive. A 21-year-old Centreville-area man was robbed while walking on Newton Patent Drive. Two suspects approached the victim from behind, and placed a metal object up to the victim’s head. The suspects took the victim’s hand gun which he was openly carrying. The suspect’s then fled the area. The victim was not injured. The suspects were described as black males wearing dark clothing.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    It doesn't matter

If he was so oblivious that he was unaware of two people coming up behind him until they touched the back of his head then it really doesn't matter if he was OCing or CCing. He could be robbed by someone with a brick.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    If he was so oblivious that he was unaware of two people coming up behind him until they touched the back of his head then it really doesn't matter if he was OCing or CCing. He could be robbed by someone with a brick.
    It's funny that it says "metal object." It seems that the victim never could confirm if his assailants were armed or not.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009

That's funny^^^^. He was probably listening to an I pod and couldn't hear a thing.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    If they didn't take his wallet, then they obviously targeted him for his gun. Had he been CCing, there wouldn't have been any motivation for them to rob it.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    OMG!! HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!! I was told this would _never_ happen, than an exposed gun always equals deterrent.

Hmm. He must have never heard of situational awareness.

Yup. I mean every time I walk down the street, I go look in every store, every home, every dumpster...just to make sure no one is around. I also make sure the eyes in the back of my head are open, so I have complete 360 degree field of view. I have also decided the best way to open carry is to just go ahead and carry it in my hand, not sitting in the holster. That way, I am at a much better tactical advantage. All kidding aside, situational awareness still doesn't mean you are not going to get your gun taken from you, or be out drawn. Situational awareness only goes so far. If someone sees you OCing, an they want your gun, and they are willing to go to great lengths to get it, they are going to get it.

So what is the proper way to OC? I guess you would need to constantly spin 360 degrees while walking? Even if you see these folks, so what? You gonna out draw someone who has already drawn down on you? Or if you OC, do you always draw down first, to preempt the person from drawing down on you? I see people OCing ever so often. If I wanted their gun, it would be mine. There is no way to be 100% with situational awareness, especially when one _must_ turn their attention to other things going on (shopping, watching the movie, chasing after kids, watching traffic, check their phone, lifting the tailgate to put away groceries, etc.).

If they didn't take his wallet, then they obviously targeted him for his gun. Had he been CCing, there wouldn't have been any motivation for them to rob it.

I think a lot of thugs wouldn't mind targeting folks for their guns, but I bet what happens is exactly what we hear about on here: Many OCers are automatically labeled to be off-duty cops. Thugs know if you mess with the cops, they bring down a ton of bricks on you...this is why you will rarely hear about robbers walking into police stations and sub-stations and robbing the people inside. If the thugs start figuring out that more and more non-cops are walking around with $400-$900 objects on their hips, don't be surprised if we hear more of these stories. Just a sign of the times if you ask me. High threat level retention holsters work well, but even then, if you pull hard enough, I think most folks would be surprised at what would rip/tear between the holster, belt, jeans/pants.

If OCers start being targeted, I would think that most would choose to go back concealed, unless they figure there is no way anyone will get a drop on them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    It's times like this that makes me happy to be paranoid as all hell. I constantly look over my shoulder and keep aware of my surrounding. Just like when I'm driving, every 3 seconds I check my mirrors and every other 6 seconds I check my gauges. But if I were walking on a street at 4am I would definitely be covering up with my coat.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    OMG!! HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!! I was told this would _never_ happen, than an exposed gun always equals deterrent.

Yup. I mean every time I walk down the street, I go look in every store, every home, every dumpster...just to make sure no one is around. I also make sure the eyes in the back of my head are open, so I have complete 360 degree field of view. I have also decided the best way to open carry is to just go ahead and carry it in my hand, not sitting in the holster. That way, I am at a much better tactical advantage. All kidding aside, situational awareness still doesn't mean you are not going to get your gun taken from you, or be out drawn. Situational awareness only goes so far. If someone sees you OCing, an they want your gun, and they are willing to go to great lengths to get it, they are going to get it.

So what is the proper way to OC? I guess you would need to constantly spin 360 degrees while walking? Even if you see these folks, so what? You gonna out draw someone who has already drawn down on you? Or if you OC, do you always draw down first, to preempt the person from drawing down on you? I see people OCing ever so often. If I wanted their gun, it would be mine. There is no way to be 100% with situational awareness, especially when one _must_ turn their attention to other things going on (shopping, watching the movie, chasing after kids, watching traffic, check their phone, lifting the tailgate to put away groceries, etc.).

I think a lot of thugs wouldn't mind targeting folks for their guns, but I bet what happens is exactly what we hear about on here: Many OCers are automatically labeled to be off-duty cops. Thugs know if you mess with the cops, they bring down a ton of bricks on you...this is why you will rarely hear about robbers walking into police stations and sub-stations and robbing the people inside. If the thugs start figuring out that more and more non-cops are walking around with $400-$900 objects on their hips, don't be surprised if we hear more of these stories. Just a sign of the times if you ask me. High threat level retention holsters work well, but even then, if you pull hard enough, I think most folks would be surprised at what would rip/tear between the holster, belt, jeans/pants.

If OCers start being targeted, I would think that most would choose to go back concealed, unless they figure there is no way anyone will get a drop on them.

+1 as soon as it will let me. :D

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

Yup. I mean every time I walk down the street, I go look in every store, every home, every dumpster...just to make sure no one is around. I also make sure the eyes in the back of my head are open, so I have complete 360 degree field of view. I have also decided the best way to open carry is to just go ahead and carry it in my hand, not sitting in the holster. That way, I am at a much better tactical advantage.

Good for you. All I do is pay attention to what's going on around me at all times with special attention given to suspicious activity like a couple of guys running up behind me with a "metal object" in their hand.

All kidding aside, situational awareness still doesn't mean you are not going to get your gun taken from you, or be out drawn. Situational awareness only goes so far. If someone sees you OCing, an they want your gun, and they are willing to go to great lengths to get it, they are going to get it.

The very same thing can be said for any mugging. If the BG wants something you have, or potentially have, they'll take whatever steps they can to get it. Also, you don't really seem to understand situational awareness. The point is to avoid these situations all together. At very least he could have given himself a heck of a lot more notice then feeling something press against the back of his head.

So what is the proper way to OC? I guess you would need to constantly spin 360 degrees while walking? Even if you see these folks, so what? You gonna out draw someone who has already drawn down on you?

Maybe not, but I'll be at least 1 sec. faster then if I were CCing. Again, your argument applies equally to OC and CC.

Or if you OC, do you always draw down first, to preempt the person from drawing down on you? I see people OCing ever so often. If I wanted their gun, it would be mine.

There might be some misplaced confidence here.

There is no way to be 100% with situational awareness, especially when one _must_ turn their attention to other things going on (shopping, watching the movie, chasing after kids, watching traffic, check their phone, lifting the tailgate to put away groceries, etc.).

So, CC and walk around blindly? Got it.:noway:

Pure conjecture.

One case of an OCers gun being stolen is of little consequence. If I could find you a case (or a hundred since it is much more common) of a CCer in the same circumstance would declare CC to be tactically unsound? Most importantly, beyond personal experience non of us will ever know exactly how often the deterrence actually takes effect. There are no available statics and therefore no way to prove your biased theories. No carry method is an excuse for tactical lethargy.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is alleged to have happened, 3 years and 5 months ago, in Virginia.

1. Did the individual have a CC license as required by Viriginia law? Was legal CC an option in this case?

2. Was he coming from or going to a tavern? OCing is the only legal way to carry into an establishment serving alcohol in Virginia.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

+1 as soon as it will let me. I've never said that OC should be illegal but I do think that it is of questionable prudence, especially if done on a regular basis. Familiarity breeds contempt and inevitably everyone gets a little lazy.

Best,

Joe

Last edited:
    Top Bottom