• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Got this sent to my email. This may be a useful suggestion for a loved one who is interested in home-defense, but is not ready to wield a gun.

Also may come in handy if you have to be in a place that bans guns... or perhaps even bans pepper spray itself.... At work perhaps? Behind the counter of a shop that is anti-self-defense?
    Wasp Spray

A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection.

She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection.

Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break-in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School. For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes".

It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray.

"That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out."

Maybe even save a life.

Please share this with all the people in your life, especially those who are vulnerable or alone.

Last edited:

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't want to get hit by it. I use it a lot, in season, on wasps, bees... IMO it'd be much worse than O.C., that stuff comes out like crazy. One could easily soak an attacker pretty quickly at a good distance. I would be concerned that there could be some legalities regarding its use in place of O.C.; however, if a situation merited the use of a firearm the user should be ok.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i've heard this before. i had a guy i was selling a ruger .454 casull who was going bear hunting in alberta. i tried to sell him that big can of oc, the one that looks like a fire extinguisher. he actually told me he carried wasp and hornet spray instead of oc on his trips. says it will blind a grizzly for up to 2 hours. if you wanna carry it on your belt you better get a real big holster.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    seems to me that having to hit someone in the eyes would be pretty difficult in a SD situation. At least with OC just contact with skin will cause great discomfort.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    seems to me that having to hit someone in the eyes would be pretty difficult in a SD situation. At least with OC just contact with skin will cause great discomfort.

I think the vapors would have an effect too. I think legally you'd be better off keeping it for bug use only. Now if you need it in a pinch....

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    An ex-con once told me he'd carry oven spray with him when he'd go to break into businesses, if a pit-bull or similarly mean dog was present a shot of that to the face would leave it incapacitated... so I could see wasp spray for humans.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    snopes.com: Wasp Spray

Neat idea, but becareful, you might find yourself in court for violating federal code by using the spray for anything other than it was intended for.

If the Feds are regulating Wasp Spray, things are further down the road to tyranny than I thought. I don't believe this is currently the case.

Also note, every self-defense encounter will be considered "in a pinch."

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yeah, it's an older thread, but I came across this related article/post on the subject - https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com/2017/07/27/wasp-spray-pffft-buzz-off/

In addition to being an off label use, wasp spray is, in fact, a poison [1] - not a one-to-one replacement for pepper spray.

I could see using it if caught in my garage, unarmed, as a improvised weapon, but can't imagine why I would PLAN to use wasp/hornet spray rather than the right tool for the job.

[1] - Spectracide® Wasp & Hornet Killer3 (Aerosol) | Spectracide

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I wouldn't want to get hit by it. I use it a lot, in season, on wasps, bees... IMO it'd be much worse than O.C., that stuff comes out like crazy. One could easily soak an attacker pretty quickly at a good distance. I would be concerned that there could be some legalities regarding its use in place of O.C.; however, if a situation merited the use of a firearm the user should be ok.

snopes.com: Wasp Spray

Neat idea, but becareful, you might find yourself in court for violating federal code by using the spray for anything other than it was intended for.

Indiana's 'Use of Force' law states that an individual can use 'whatever force necessary' in order to stop an aggressive individual when one believes they're in imminent danger of suffering severe bodily injury and/or death.
    IMO...this would allow for the use of wasp spray (or whatever) to be used if the situation were to present itself as a grave and imminent threat to one's well-being...and a can of wasp spray (or whatever) just happened to be present and within reach.
    IMO...carrying wasp spray, for the specific purpose of personal defense...that may be where the legal implications arise? Just a thought...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Indiana's 'Use of Force' law states that an individual can use 'whatever force necessary' in order to stop an aggressive individual when one believes they're in imminent danger of suffering severe bodily injury and/or death.
    IMO...this would allow for the use of wasp spray (or whatever) to be used if the situation were to present itself as a grave and imminent threat to one's well-being...and a can of wasp spray (or whatever) just happened to be present and within reach.
    IMO...carrying wasp spray, for the specific purpose of personal defense...that may be where the legal implications arise? Just a thought...

The other side of it? Years ago, Mercop instructed us in class that Baltimore thugs were carrying cans of wasp spray around for strong arm theft. While not a legal weapon, very effective for enticing folks to relinquish their cash.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I sent this to a friend on FB who INSISTED that wasp spray was as good. So I posted this reply.

[video=youtube_share;9Uy9MnQfk_0]http://youtu.be/9Uy9MnQfk_0[/video]

He refused to watch because being a mature video, you have to log into Youtube. He refused because he would have to give them personal info in exchange for the ability to watch it. :facepalm:

So I downloaded the MP4 file and sent it to him via messenger. His excuse now? "OOOOOH! Of COURSE! LOOK WHO POSTED IT!!!!! A PEPPER SPRAY MAKER!!! NO WONDER THEY SAY THEIR PRODUCT IS SUPERIOR!!!!" :facepalm: :facepalm:

"So you are saying thats a fake can of wasp spray and they are fooling us to make it appear ineffective? After all, if it works as well as you say it does, he wouldnt be able to perform like he does in the video."
    "Maybe. I dont know."
    "I'll make you a deal. I'll let you spray me in the face with wasp spray if you let me hit you with a snootful of pepper spray and you can see for yourself whether it works or not."
    "No way!"

I dont think I have talked to his silly ass since. (not sad about it either)

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I am not a expert but having experienced a few altercations and an avid viewer of live PD!

1. Be very careful using “spray” real people generally do not stand still and let you spray them it.
    Be aware “spray”also works both ways nothing better than wrestling with a dude you just sprayed who is now hyper pissed.

2. The use of spray puts you within the “reactionary gap” not all people will fall to the ground crying some people are almost immune to “spray”.
    The fact is that many people that would attack you probably have the experience of being “spayed” in prison/jail/street some can and will fight though the pain.

3. The addition of “spray” ,knife, pistol, baseball bat ect. escalates the situation for both people.
    Be aware that you may infuriate your attacker if introduce a weapon they may put your can of “spay” in your fourth point of contact.

On the list of potential weapons WASP spray is right there with hockey pucks and unicorn horns.

The YouTube is full of “spray” videos misused it can be fatal!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=98Ly2Quy4Ms

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have found wasp spray to be highly effective against wasps and hornets. As far as "off-label use", if I'm using wasp spray for defense, I'll be using the can for offense. When you think of it that way, a fire extinguisher would be more effective. The old "fog and beat" method.

Top Bottom