• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you support minimim training requirements for the Indiana LTCH?

• Total voters

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    If the Indiana LTCH were recognized in as many states as is say the non-resident Utah and Florida permits, would you be willing to obtain the required minimum training and possibly have the Indiana LTCH have a picture of the holder?

All of us old guys would be grandfathered in. You would have ask the people without a permit. My guess is that anyone wanting to conceal carry would take any class thats needed.

Why do we have to get a "permit" to carry a gun. Doesn't make sense.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Making OPTIONAL training as a requirement to get a widely-accepted license sounds good on the surface. The problem is that the work required to change "OPTIONAL" to "REQUIRED" is minimal and can easily be passed by the legislature at any time. Under no circumstances do I support required training to exercise a Constitutional Right.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I wouldn't be opposed to training. More than likely, our LTCH would be accepted by more states by adding training and a photo.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    No.

No f*****g way.

My sister in law is 'qualified' to carry in more states than I am but at the range I had to show her how to load her pistol. The qualifying courses are bogus crap and lead to a false sense of security.

If you want to increase reciprocity then make an OPTIONAL second level but don't screw up our system.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Making OPTIONAL training as a requirement to get a widely-accepted license sounds good on the surface. The problem is that the work required to change "OPTIONAL" to "REQUIRED" is minimal and can easily be passed by the legislature at any time. Under no circumstances do I support required training to exercise a Constitutional Right.

This.

The State Police can just barely handle getting LTCH's out the door in the time required by law. Sometimes, they cannot do that.

How would you like to have to wait a year or two for them to have a class open for you? Or we could go to a system where we pay private trainers... and thereby implement what is effectively a "poll tax" where poor folks cannot afford to carry.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Since we are on topic, does anyone have a reccomendation for such a class ? I want to get my Utah carry permit, and need to take one.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    As an active instructor and crso I shake my head every day at some of the things I see on the range. Even though deep down in my heart, I know a lot of people should have some type of basic firearms training,I wouldn't endorse any kind of government mandated training. On the other hand I would like to commend The people that are new to firearms and have enough sense to get some sort of training on their own.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    As an active instructor and crso I shake my head every day at some of the things I see on the range. Even though deep down in my heart, I know a lot of people should have some type of basic firearms training,I wouldn't endorse any kind of government mandated training. On the other hand I would like to commend The people that are new to firearms and have enough sense to get some sort of training on their own.

I agree. I think training is an absolute must. It's the government-mandated training I have a problem with.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    No. We should not further encumber ourselves with additional layers of bureaucracy just to be more acceptable to other states. We should be working to repeal the gunowner licensing and registration law which is unconstitutional on its face. In the meantime, we should encourage citizens to seek training on their own.

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    What is it they say about drug and alcohol abuse? Education is key to prevention? Instead of spending money on forcing people to get training, perhaps there should be programs that educate people on the importance of firearm safety, how to get proper training, and following that up with continual practice.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    NO ******* WAY!!!

Personally I think we should be closer to the way Vermont and Alaska are... No permission required.

As far as Government training I think it should be a mandatory class taught in school. One hour every day. This used to be a Country that when called upon the People could defend theirselves. Not anymore... I have Soldiers that do not see firearms until they get to their Basic Training. I have Soldiers that do not even know how to throw a punch or how to take a good hit in return... WTH when did we turn from a country of Riflemen into a country of Nancy Boys...

Last edited by a moderator:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I kinda like that old Constitution that we have. Too bad some people, apparently even people that voted on this poll, don't feel the same way.

There should be no LTCH.

(So no, I don't support training for a LTCH.)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I voted no.

The ONLY way I would accept a training requirement is if the state offered an ADDITIONAL type of licence, say "qualified", "unlimited", and a new "ENHANCED" license for those people wanting to gain additional reciprocity in lieu of going for a FL or UT license.

In fact I want to get rid of "qualified" all together and let adults carry an unloaded handgun in locked in the trunk of their car to and from the range and go hunting without a LTCH. (Just like we currently allow CHILDREN to do under current statute.)

The law ALREADY prohibits prior violent felons from owning and carrying handguns, even for "lawful purposes".

There is NO GOOD REASON for further legal incumberances.

My "ultimate" preference would be to say, "The Second Amendment IS my license."

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I wish I had a little more knowledge when I started to carry. I knew nothing of retention or escalation of force and very few of the laws. I really think even just a 1 hour quick safety course with basic laws and retention advice would be acceptable.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I wish I had a little more knowledge when I started to carry. I knew nothing of retention or escalation of force and very few of the laws. I really think even just a 1 hour quick safety course with basic laws and retention advice would be acceptable.

This should be taught in school. Most learned to drive a car in school why not a firearm. The car is far more dangerous than the firearm... ;)

Top Bottom