• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    According to the info on the State Police website there are several counties that allow you to utilize online application for a LTCH. After reading the particulars in the application, it's clear that you need to make a follow up trip to the local law enforcement office to complete the application. I assume when you go to that facility, that the usual fingerprinting and so forth will take place. Other than possibly the fact that the processing facility may be able to pick up a pre filled out form off the state police data base, what is the advantage of applying online?

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    I just recently applied online. There is a huge advantage to applying online! The process goes as follows.
    1. Fill out your application online and pay you state fee of $75 for lifetime +$10.95 extra for online fee (definately worth the extra money).
    2. Schedule an appointment with an L1 fingerprint site.
    3. Go to your appointment and get fingerprinted.
    4. Take the confirmation sheet that L1 gives you to your local PD station to pay your local fee.
    -As for your question of what happens at the local PD. It seems like it depends on what your local PD makes you do. I myself didn't have to do fingerprints at Highland's Police Department. All I had to do was go over my online app to make sure all my info was correct and gave them their $50 for local fee. Then they took me downstairs to take pictures for their records. And then I had to have a quick 2minute interview with chief of police and all he asks is "Why do you want your LTCH". Thats it. I got my permit within a weeks time! It's definately worth applying online.

sptland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Howe, IN
    That's interesting you had to have an interview w/the Chief of Police -- several years ago they used to make you write a brief description on the back as to why you wanted the License - but where I go (or used to go since I have a lifetime) doesn't even require that. Only fill out the form - pay the fee - and get your license (assuming you're legal!)!

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    what is the advantage of applying online?
    3 to 5 days turnaround with the online app as opposed to 6 weeks or more with the hand written and ink fingerprints app.

and about that finger printing...

More than one person on this board and even some friends of mine went to their L1 appointment, got fingerprinted, then when they went to the local PD they got finger printed again.
    The L1 electronic prints are all you need.
    If they print you at the local PD it's because the officer you are dealing with does not know how the online works yet.
    Don't make a scene. Just remember it's not necessary.
    If they print you again I am not even sure you need to send it in with your app.

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    I was renewing the permit again this time. It took 2 months to get an appt. at the Hammond police dept.. I've been printed every time I appy (4 times) in Hammond, and once in Merrillville. On applying for the first permit, the police chief gave us a talk which included coming to an officers aid if necessary. What is L1?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was renewing the permit again this time. It took 2 months to get an appt. at the Hammond police dept.. I've been printed every time I appy (4 times) in Hammond, and once in Merrillville. On applying for the first permit, the police chief gave us a talk which included coming to an officers aid if necessary. What is L1?

L-1 is a private service contracted by the state to do the electronic prints. You can find their main site at Home - L-1 Identity Solutions

and Indiana locations at L-1 Identity Solutions, Enrollment Services Division

Also...

Merrillville Merrillville, IN. (25 W 80th Place) M 9:30-4, W 10:00-2:00, T & Th 11:00-3:00 & Sat 10:00-12:00

Hammond Hammond , IN. (200 E. Russell St, Suite 110) T & Th 9-4

Blessings,
    Bill

ABCIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Indianapolis
    At least in Indianapolis, L1 and the on-line application are 2 seperate things.

It was stated in the Marion County info that the application had to be typed. So, 2 chioces, go get the forn and take it someplace to be typed or filling in the on-line application. When I went to the Cict County building and told them that I'd done the online app, they printed it and gave it to me while I was fillign out the fingerprint form. Which is my next point, do the L1 if you can! I can't believe some of you are saying a week or less. Had I known that ahead of time, I'd not be at 5 weeks and still waiting...

ABC

PS - for Hornet - When I had mine done, there was someone there that had done the L1 option. They only printed something like the thumb and forefinger on them, not the full card. Something about different set of paperwork. Just thought I'd throw that out.

Last edited:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    When you finish your online app.

Application for Handgun License

then hit continue. there will be a very small blue click here to schedule your fingerprint appointment.
    When you clickon that you will be taken to the L1 page.

You DO NOT have to register to set up an appointment or pay your fees.
    Click the place where it says guest or not registered (sorry, I forgot the exact wording.)
    Then you go where it says on the appointment time you pick and they electronically fingerprint you.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    PS - for Hornet - When I had mine done, there was someone there that had done the L1 option. They only printed something like the thumb and forefinger on them, not the full card. Something about different set of paperwork. Just thought I'd throw that out.
    Yeah, a lot of people are getting printed again.
    I didn't and others did.
    Same Lawrence county Sheriffs office.
    I am positive that the state police only need the digital set.
    I just didn't want people to get shook up when the local PD prints you again.

Last edited:

breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    Now if i can pay the difference and get my lifetime on line, since i went with the 4yr i wll be sold.

IndyGunFreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    At least in Indianapolis, L1 and the on-line application are 2 seperate things.

It was stated in the Marion County info that the application had to be typed. So, 2 chioces, go get the forn and take it someplace to be typed or filling in the on-line application. When I went to the Cict County building and told them that I'd done the online app, they printed it and gave it to me while I was fillign out the fingerprint form. Which is my next point, do the L1 if you can! I can't believe some of you are saying a week or less. Had I known that ahead of time, I'd not be at 5 weeks and still waiting....

They've not required the app to be typed, in a while. When I got my lifetime, 2-3yrs ago... I simply used an ink pen. Unless they stopped, then restarted again. Before that, I'd take it to one of the nearby bondsmen and have them type it for me. It was easier than trying to wait on a typewriter at the library, and they were a lot faster.

My brother just applied in Owen County a few weeks ago, and used an ink pen also.

ABCIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I could be wrong, I've misread stuff before.

"Permit applications must be typed, filled in completely, and notarized. All previous criminal convictions must be disclosed on the application; failure to do so will result in denial of the permit. (See Permit Fee Schedule for the permitting fees.)"

They've not required the app to be typed, in a while. When I got my lifetime, 2-3yrs ago... I simply used an ink pen.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :hijack:
    FYI we have a NWI INGO group that does local events you might be interested in.

INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

We also have an evet coming up on 28 MARCH
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_events/79467-3_28_10_nwi_spring_fling.html#post895174

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Here in Columbus, they have always fingerprinted. I did my ap online. Went to my apointment. Made sure everything was correct, got fingerprinted and recieved my enevelope to mail to the SP. I'm confused about the whole fingerprinting thing. Are you saying some towns allow you to do your ap online, and you do not have to be fingerprinted at the local PD?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Here in Columbus, they have always fingerprinted. I did my ap online. Went to my apointment. Made sure everything was correct, got fingerprinted and recieved my enevelope to mail to the SP. I'm confused about the whole fingerprinting thing. Are you saying some towns allow you to do your ap online, and you do not have to be fingerprinted at the local PD?

Right.
    You have to be fingerprinted.
    But, the L-1 fingerprinting is all that is needed.
    It seems a lot of local PD's don't understand that yet.
    Now, if you didn't make an L-1 appointment, then the Local PD has to do it.

Online apps is fairly new though, isn't it?
    How long has online applications been available?
    Anyone know?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom