• ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Speedway kroger is anti-gun.

I entered the store this evening (usually I go Sunday morning) and did my shopping in a basket, was in the store for approximately 15 minutes. I am standing at self-checkout scanning my items, have approximately 25 items bagged, with 1 left to scan, I see a 20-something with a few days of beard growth rapidly approaching in a hoodie and he blurts out "are you a cop" I pivoted slightly but kept my gun opposite side of him and went 100% alert "No are you?" I replied. Like a tool, he reaches into his half zipped hoodie and pulls out his little ID tag "I'm a plain clothes officer with Kroger loss-prevention, I tried to get to you before you got up front, but could you leave your gun in your car from now on" I said "do you not want my business?" "it's not that sir, just please leave your gun in your car next time" I then raised my voice so everyone within 15 feet could easily hear me, but not shouting or being irate and said "If you do not want my business, you can put my groceries up I don't want to give you my money" and I left the store.

I went to the other side of the street and gave Marsh my business. I was in there twice as long trying to find products that they just didn't have, applied for a Marsh card, and several employees saw my firearm and never said a word, didn't even stare, take a second-glance, or anything. Marsh will have my business from now on.

I'd conceal carry and it would have never been an issue however it is illegal to conceal in Speedway. I urge everyone that shops at this location, or knows anyone that does to stop doing business with them.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    If he would do that to a cop that didn't want to be identified, I suspect he would not ever do that again.

Of course, if a cop didn't want to be identified, they probably wouldn't be open carrying or carrying in a manner that anyone could determine the same.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I'd conceal carry and it would have never been an issue however it is illegal to conceal in Speedway. I urge everyone that shops at this location, or knows anyone that does to stop doing business with them.

I applaud your response. I would have done the same thing.

Do you mean that if I walk from Indianapolis through Speedway and back into Indianapolis, I must OC while in the municipality?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Just say.. "I'm not with the police department if that is what you mean"

Technically you are being truthful.

:D

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN

I entered the store this evening (usually I go Sunday morning) and did my shopping in a basket, was in the store for approximately 15 minutes. I am standing at self-checkout scanning my items, have approximately 25 items bagged, with 1 left to scan, I see a 20-something with a few days of beard growth rapidly approaching in a hoodie and he blurts out "are you a cop" I pivoted slightly but kept my gun opposite side of him and went 100% alert "No are you?" I replied. Like a tool, he reaches into his half zipped hoodie and pulls out his little ID tag "I'm a plain clothes officer with Kroger loss-prevention, I tried to get to you before you got up front, but could you leave your gun in your car from now on" I said "do you not want my business?" "it's not that sir, just please leave your gun in your car next time" I then raised my voice so everyone within 15 feet could easily hear me, but not shouting or being irate and said "If you do not want my business, you can put my groceries up I don't want to give you my money" and I left the store.

I went to the other side of the street and gave Marsh my business. I was in there twice as long trying to find products that they just didn't have, applied for a Marsh card, and several employees saw my firearm and never said a word, didn't even stare, take a second-glance, or anything. Marsh will have my business from now on.

I know the LP guy at the Kroger here so I'll ask him what their policy is at the columbus location. WE can conceal here so its probably not as big of a deal. Also, It seems like he asked you politely and you went into dick mode and acted like an ass. You could have just said ok. Then you ended up spending twice as long in another store trying to find stuff they didn't have. I do wish people weren't so damn uptight about guns though! Flame away guys thats my stand on it! Kroger is my store of choice because they always have what I need and its easy to get into and out of.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I applaud your response. I would have done the same thing.

Do you mean that if I walk from Indianapolis through Speedway and back into Indianapolis, I must OC while in the municipality?

I'm mad though, Marsh doesn't have my breakfast thingies hahaha. Oh well.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    .........Kroger is my store of choice because they always have what I need and its easy to get into and out of.

Yes, but they don't want you to go into and out of with your rights intact. :twocents:

You never know when stuff will get real. :draw:

Yeah, yeah. Private business, reserves the right, asks you to leave or you will be trespassing, yada yada yada.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I know the LP guy at the Kroger here so I'll ask him what their policy is at the columbus location. WE can conceal here so its probably not as big of a deal. Also, It seems like he asked you politely and you went into dick mode and acted like an ass. You could have just said ok. Then you ended up spending twice as long in another store trying to find stuff they didn't have. I do wish people weren't so damn uptight about guns though! Flame away guys thats my stand on it! Kroger is my store of choice because they always have what I need and its easy to get into and out of.

You have every right to support anti-gunners, and others who do not respect the rights of Americans.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN

I didn't go into dick mode, he didn't identify himself. He approached me looking questionable... few days of scruff of a beard, clothes that were ragged with holes in them, approached me fast blurted out "are you a cop" infront of 30 people, well within their hearing range too... shoved his hand in his hoodie when I politely said "no are you?" and drew his hand out just as fast with his ID... if I WAS a cop, I might just have drawn on him... If I was a cop that didn't want identified, for all I know this guy is about to rob the store, and sees me as a threat because I've got a visible gun.

He then continued to be loud in his responses, so I informed them they lost a customer. That's not dick mode. That's standing up for the right to protect myself which is constitutionally guaranteed to me... if a business doesn't like that, they will not have my business.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Dick_Tracy_Crying.jpg

SUPER DICK TRACY! :yesway: :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Here we go. Yer damn skippy I do. I guess I am supporting white supremacists, nazi, black panthers and al quida too! :rolleyes:

Yeah, here we go. You express your support for anti-gun companies, then go into full dick mode when I express my support for your right to to do so. What's the problem? Do you feel like a hypocrite for carrying a gun, while throwing financial support to anti-gunners? I'm not calling you one, I'm just saying that's how I would feel.

As for your support for white supremacists, Nazi's, Black Panthers, and terrorists, that is your business, and your right. It's certainly a diverse range of hate groups you enjoy, but this is America and all.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I didn't go into dick mode, he didn't identify himself. He approached me looking questionable... few days of scruff of a beard, clothes that were ragged with holes in them, approached me fast blurted out "are you a cop" infront of 30 people, well within their hearing range too... shoved his hand in his hoodie when I politely said "no are you?" and drew his hand out just as fast with his ID... if I WAS a cop, I might just have drawn on him... If I was a cop that didn't want identified, for all I know this guy is about to rob the store, and sees me as a threat because I've got a visible gun.

He then continued to be loud in his responses, so I informed them they lost a customer. That's not dick mode. That's standing up for the right to protect myself which is constitutionally guaranteed to me... if a business doesn't like that, they will not have my business.

I agree you have every right to have a gun. I want everyone to exercise that right but I guess I am just too polite of a person to pull that. I understand that he shouldn't have been dressed like a less than desirable person. The thing I hate is that these people don't hang signs out for you to see but they get so uptight about you having a gun in their store. I apologize and didn't mean to call you a dick or anything but like I said I am just a polite person and wouldn't have acted in that way.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business

Great post. Ask the punk if he is acting on behalf of Kroger corporate policy, because you need to discuss his actions with Cincinnati.

Howzabout a dozen of us go strapped in there and do a store walk-through?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Great post. Ask the punk if he is acting on behalf of Kroger corporate policy, because you need to discuss his actions with Cincinnati.

Howzabout a dozen of us go strapped in there and do a store walk-through?

Kroger is notoriously anti-gun. I'd rather just let them exercise their right to dislike the Constitution (you should be a real fan of them), and take my business elsewhere.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Snip

"I'm a plain clothes officer with Kroger loss-prevention, I tried to get to you before you got up front, but could you leave your gun in your car from now on"

Snip

He did not ask you to leave, he did not tell you to not bring it in again.

You had the perfect right to continue on and renter the store again with it on your side because he did not instruct you that it was NOT allowed.

I would get a official word from Kroger corporate as to their stance on firearms carry in Kroger stores.

Now for the "plain clothes officer" comment, he's nothing but a un-glorified wanna be that was rejected for Mall Ninja assignment that doesn't qualify for a uniform allowance.:mallninja:

Edited for additional comments:

I just sent Kroger Co. an email regarding corporate policy for public firearm carry in their stores. I'll give their reply as soon it arrives.

Last edited:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Also, It seems like he asked you politely and you went into dick mode and acted like an ass. You could have just said ok.

O RLY?

Would you be ok if the store had signs outside saying "No n******" or "No seniors"?

Do you just go through life trying to please everyone, no matter the obscenity of their requests?

Whats wrong with having a little back bone and sticking to your morals? Thats what the hell is wrong with this country today. Not enough people telling someone to **** off and stand their ground.

Good job OP. Thanks for sticking up. I will never shop at that Kroger.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Yeah, here we go. You express your support for anti-gun companies, then go into full dick mode when I express my support for your right to to do so. What's the problem? Do you feel like a hypocrite for carrying a gun, while throwing financial support to anti-gunners? I'm not calling you one, I'm just saying that's how I would feel.

As for your support for white supremacists, Nazi's, Black Panthers, and terrorists, that is your business, and your right. It's certainly a diverse range of hate groups you enjoy, but this is America and all.

You have never heard of sarcasm have you? I do not feel like a hypocrite at all. I shop there because they have what I need at an affordable price. Did I not apologize to him for it? I didn't mean for it to come out like i was being an ass but it did and I apologized. The thing is that people get so uptight and paranoid about this stuff. Yeah , Kroger may not like guns in their establishment its not stopping me from shopping there. If you would have read my first post to him you would have seen that I am going to ask my buddy at the Columbus store what the policy is.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Also, It seems like he asked you politely and you went into dick mode and acted like an ass. You could have just said ok.

Wrong answer. Ryan was in the right here. I can't believe anyone is in the least bit confused about this. I would have made the punk give me all his identifying information so I could call Cincinnati and get him fired. Chances are very high that he was ego-tripping and was making up his own rules.

One more thing, folks, never answer anyone's question. Always turn it back on them. If they ask "are you a cop?" Ask them one of these: "Do you need a cop?" "Are you hurt?" "Do you want me to call you a cop?"

Further, never self checkout. Quit doing the company's work for it.

Top Bottom