• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I don't want to say too much until after I file a complaint with the chief, but I am :xmad::xmad::xmad:
    My wife and I were on the wrong end of a "man with a gun" call. The only plus is that neither my wife nor I were proned out, but we were berated for about 15 minutes this evening.
    I'll be filing a complaint in a few hours, in the meantime just be aware that Saint John Indiana doesn't like citizens that know their rights.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well "hammond boy" :D (j/k) you did leave the "gettho" (anything NORTH of US-30 and WEST of I-65) & the cops down there (St. John & beyond) don't like anyone from the gettho. My sister-in-law lives in St. John and I try my darnest to not have to visit her or drive down there. Especially on US-41. They pull people over all the time right after Lake Central for speeding for even going over 3 mph. [It has not occured to me, but have been in the car as a passenger when it has occured].

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Also noted in the Times that St John will not be taking any Carry permits applications at the police station until 6/1/10. You can use the INTERNET to apply ,posted in the Times 5/20/10

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    St. John will not process gun licenses for last week of May

ST. JOHN | The St. John Police Department will not process handgun licenses next week.
    Applications still can be submitted online, but people will not be able to complete their applications at the police station until June 1. Applications are available online at aries.in.gov/Firearms/Permit.aspx. The in-person portion can be finished from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays or from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Wednesday at the police station, 11033 W. 93rd Ave. - By Times Staff

There hasn't been a reason for me to go to St. John in a long while. It isn't just St. John up here though, I haven't met many cops who don't give me crap for knowing what is legal. The past 2 that have stopped me have admitted knowing OC is legal (Highland & Munster). If complaining to the superiors doesn't do anything, I have a name of a Highland officer who told me I could (and anyone I know) contact him if I am given trouble about OC'ing.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I try my best not to get over that way. Sorry to hear about your incident. I'd be interested in hearing the details once you get the proper complaints filed. Good luck.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I have been trying to get in touch with the Chief, I am repeatedly told he is out of the office and they don't know when he'll be back. I have left my contact information and will try again this afternoon, then it'll be a letter to the police commission.
    If ignorance is bliss, this officer had to be the happiest person on earth last night.
    My wife said she didn't know how I stayed so calm.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Well "hammond boy" :D (j/k) you did leave the "gettho" (anything NORTH of US-30 and WEST of I-65) & the cops down there (St. John & beyond) don't like anyone from the gettho. ...

Man, it sounds like you were there last night. A quote from the officer "I'm tired of you people coming down here and acting like John Dillenger."
    First, wtf is "you people?"
    Second, Dillenger was a bank robber.
    After that comment I refused to say anything to the "officer"

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    If the P.D. Chief won't return your call, start phoning the town's elected officials, informing them that he won't even grant the courtesy of a return phone call.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Man, it sounds like you were there last night. A quote from the officer "I'm tired of you people coming down here and acting like John Dillenger."
    First, wtf is "you people?"
    Second, Dillenger was a bank robber.
    After that comment I refused to say anything to the "officer"

I don't think your brown (Bill B) not sure but I being brown have learned that some places both in the USA and within IN brown and darker just should not goto. St. John is one such place.

Now with that said "you people" could have referred to 2 things (depending on the context and the LEO's tone of voice)
    1) Gun Owners who OC
    2) "poor people" (ie. residents north of US-30 which is considered the liberal, white poor, illegal lations, and welfare blacks of the county).

In terms of the "dillenger" comments it could mean a slew of things. Without knowing the LEO's history (ie upbringing or education) he could be meaning that your trying to act like you are above the law (ie like dillinger) since you have a gun AND the LEo may not be familar with the IC on guns for citizens.

Perhaps the LEo has had a bad experience (in gettoland) that makes him/her think all perople who carry gun and come from gettoland are bad AKA just like dillinger.

Slight thread hijack and off topic but it does hammer my point.
    Last week SAT I attended a prayer vigil for immigration reform outside the Merviillee office of Pete V which is on Broadway. (I was there because I owned someone a favor and they needed a generator and they cashed in on their favor. The person I owed the favor owed a favor to someone else and well I ended up there. :rolleyes:) In any case the day before the event I was a bit nervous since the office is near the gary/merv... line and well I don't know that area all that well, tend to avoid it, and really just stay out of Gary and it's surroundings if possible. The less trouble I avoid the better.

I any case I figured I was going to CC & since I was going to have to stand/guard the generator & my paranoia and my "vision" of the area has gone from bad to real bad I did the unthinkable and took my AK with me. I left it in the trunck of my car with mag inserted, nothing in the chamber. Now up to this point I have never felt nor had the need to take an AK or any other rifle with me. But figured just in case the event goes bad I can get out with my skin on me screw the gen and eveyrthing else.

The event was "eventless" no need to guard the gen and no other side protestors showed up. At the end of the day I could have gone unarmed, left the gen, & come back for it at the end and called it a day.

Now back to the point. My paranoia and my perception of the people and the place got the better of me and I felt that I needed more protection when in fact I did not. Granted, I grew up in EC, have seen the violence growing up, been to the gettos can blend in if need be but still even with that my "worries" got me.

Now think of this LEO who may or may not have been to the gettho and you begin to understand his paranoia. Is it right? Perhaps not.
    I'm NOT defending his action (don't even know what he did) but just trying to give you a glimpse of he could be thinking.

Plus I keep hearing my late grandpa's words.
    "You got no business down south. Stay away."

right or wrong I've heeded those words.

Top Bottom