M16_Left_Close-Up_Resize.jpg

M16_Left_Resize.jpg

M16_MBUS_Resize.jpg

M16_Right_Close-Up_Resize.jpg

M16_Right_Resize.jpg

M16_Rollmarking_Resize.jpg

M16_Selector_Left_Resize.jpg

M16_Barrel_Resized.jpg

I am listing for sale a 1983 Colt SP1 that was converted to full-auto by S&S Arms in Albuquerque, NM. The original owner was a police officer who pretty much kept it in his safe for 20 years, and I purchased it through Class 3 dealer Steave Wayman in Texas in 2003. I had him send it to Mike Klos of American Manufacturing while the Form 3 transfer was in progress. As I'm sure most are aware, SP1's have large pivot pins and need adapters to use mil-spec small-pivot uppers. Mike Klos converted it to small-pivot permanently, as well as marking the selector positions "SAFE / SEMI / AUTO" in the correct font on both sides -- which is how newer M16's are marked. I've never seen another SP1 marked on both sides. It is also marked "M-16A1" near the prancing pony logo.The lower was then sent to Walter Birdsong for his Black-T teflon coating.

It has spent the majority of the 12 years I've owned it sitting in the safe. I've had a few different uppers on it over the years, with the current upper being an unfired 16" M4 upper. I don't recall the manufacturer, but it has the Cerro Forge keyhole forge mark. I installed KNS anti-rotating pins the day I got it, as well as a MGI rate-reducing buffer. It has a LaRue Tactical bolt carrier group. It sports a Magpul forearm, stock, and MBUS, as well as a TangoDown Battlegip, all in FDE. This makes the package look just like the current Colt/Magpul 6920's being sold.

I checked out this machinegun pricing guide recently, and here's the pricing graph for all of the converted AR-15's:

US MG

Obviously Colts are going to command a higher price than an Olympic Arms, Sendra, etc. With Colt M16A1's being priced at $25K on Subguns.com, an SP1 would be a great choice for someone who prefers the quality of a Colt but does not want to drop that kind of cash. The only difference between the M16A1 and the SP1 is that the SP1 doesn't have a raised fence around the mag release and is large pivot -- and mine has the correct small pivot. It's basically a Colt 604 without a captive pivot pin. One can save thousands of dollars and still have a Colt if they can live without the mag fence. The things that set this SP1 apart from other SP1 conversions is that 99% of the SP1 conversions out there are large, non-milspec pivot, and most are still marked "SAFE / FIRE".

I'm 47 years old, and my dream has always been to own a late 60's Mustang (preferably a '68.) I'm not getting any younger, so I feel that selling my M16 would be the fastest way to achieve that goal. I've just come to a point in my life where I feel that my wife and I would enjoy an old Mustang more, as we could drive it around to various places in the summer. I'm quite fond of the rifle myself, but all it ever does it sit in the safe. I bet it has only been out probably twice in the last 5 years. The last time I had it out, I had a little shorty upper on it and let a friend's 8-year old son shoot it -- he was grinning ear to ear.

Please don't let my minimal feedback on here frighten you. I've sold a two $3K+ rifles here, as well as an NFA-registered suppressor that I had to hold until the buyer's approved paperwork came back. I have used the same screen name for the last 14 years on every hunting and firearms website that I frequent. I am site staff on AR15.com, and have 100+ positive feedback on both there and eBay.

I prefer to sell in-state to facilitate a faster transfer, as well as allow the buyer to inspect the rifle in person prior to purchase. I feel that it is one of the nicest Colt conversions out there.

I am asking ($16,999) ($16,499) NOW $15,999. It is on a Form 4 here in Indiana. Please contact me if you are seriously interested, and we'll discuss it. The ONLY trade that I would consider would be a '67-'69 Mustang.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Price reduced from $16,999 to $16,499. I had this rifle almost sold twice to INGO members before listing it, but both times the deals fell through right at the last minute.

Last edited:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Price reduced again to $15,999. I'd really prefer to sell this in-state, even if I could get a higher asking price listing it nationwide.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom