• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 100 bullets

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Georgia
    I was reading in the sticky threads that they were not, but people are posting them. Just like to know in case I decide to bring one with me to shoot next time I visit the folks.

100 bullets

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Georgia
    Does the state have a reason why SBS are not allowed. Does Indiana have a gun owners group that will address issues at the state level.
    We have an awesome group in Georgia. GCO, Georgia Carry org. People from surrounding states are jealous of what we have. They do way more than the NRA for us. They make the NRA look like wimps.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    No, there's no GOOD reason.

It's just so some do-gooder can say that they keep "sawed-off shotguns" off the streets.

There's a lot of bad info out there about SBS's. I actually saw someone on here surmise that a "sawed-off" shotgun would be more deadly than a full-length shotgun. It just sounds evil.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Does the state have a reason why SBS are not allowed. Does Indiana have a gun owners group that will address issues at the state level.
    We have an awesome group in Georgia. GCO, Georgia Carry org. People from surrounding states are jealous of what we have. They do way more than the NRA for us. They make the NRA look like wimps.
    :popcorn:

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I was reading in the sticky threads that they were not, but people are posting them. Just like to know in case I decide to bring one with me to shoot next time I visit the folks.

I am pretty sure that if you cross state lines with an NFA device you have to file the appropriate paperwork with the ATF telling them that you are doing so.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    No, there's no GOOD reason.
    It's just so some do-gooder can say that they keep "sawed-off shotguns" off the streets.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't some kind of "blue law" dating back to the Prohibition era.

I am pretty sure that if you cross state lines with an NFA device you have to file the appropriate paperwork with the ATF telling them that you are doing so.

That requirement only applies to machine guns, SBRs and SBS; not to silencers or AOWs.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't some kind of "blue law" dating back to the Prohibition era....

Maybe so, but the current iteration has only been around for 20 years.

IC 35-47-5-4.1
    Sawed-off shotgun
    Sec. 4.1. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    any sawed-off shotgun commits dealing in a sawed-off shotgun, a Class D felony.
    (b) The presence of a weapon referred to in subsection (a) in a motor vehicle (as defined under IC 9-13-2-105(a)) except for school buses and a vehicle operated in the transportation of passengers by a common carrier (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-4) creates an inference that the weapon is in the possession of the persons occupying the motor vehicle. However, the inference does not apply to all the persons occupying the motor vehicle if the weapon is found upon, or under the control of, one (1) of the occupants. In addition, the inference does not apply to a duly licensed driver of a motor vehicle for hire who finds the weapon in the licensed driver's motor vehicle in the proper pursuit of the licensed driver's trade.
    (c) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells a sawed-off shotgun to a law enforcement agency.
    As added by P.L.1-1990, SEC.351. Amended by P.L.2-1991, SEC.107.

And no, as above, there is no good reason. Then again, there's no good reason really for any "gun control" law. Lots of reasons, none good.

Blessings,
    Bill

RomanDad

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Orange County CA
    Sort of a related question. When you get your sbr form from the atf, are you restricted to a particular length barrel? Eg. Can you go from an 11.5 to 14 ( or even back to a non sbr length) or are you stuck w/ one particular length per engraved receiver?

100 bullets

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Georgia
    Sort of a related question. When you get your sbr form from the atf, are you restricted to a particular length barrel? Eg. Can you go from an 11.5 to 14 ( or even back to a non sbr length) or are you stuck w/ one particular length per engraved receiver?

No you are allowed temporary barrel changes. This includes calibers too. So if you had an SBR 5.56 10 inch barrel you can put on a 7 inch 9mm barrel or anything else as long as it temporary. I would aways make sure I had a barrel that is papered on the gun when put away.

Also the barrel length dosn't have to be on the receiver.

Top Bottom