• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    So I saw this and have to say that im tempted. Scratch that, im way above tempted.

YouTube - Econo-Can suppressor, Oil filter silencer

The company even sells the adapter so now you can own what looks like a very effective suppressor for $55 + the $200 tax to uncle sam. Sure you cant aim worth a hoot, but it looks like a blast.
    AmericanSpecialtyAmmo.com

The plus is that you can brag to your neighbors how environmentally friendly you are, why you even reuse your old oil filters ($10 says they just throw em away). :yesway:

No reason you couldn't make your own adapter so your just down to the cost of some scrap metal and the $200 tax to our favorite uncle. The idea appeals to me, I might have to look into one in the future. Not being able to aim would kinda suck, but it would still be a blast to play around with. With a little ingenuity im sure sights could be jury rigged at least. Not sure how it would hold up to anything larger than a 22lr, but further testing by me is definitely needed.

FYI this company also sells AOW Saiga 12s.......

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    im pretty sure that just an indiana thing. some other states can buy sbs

That's correct but in order to be an AOW, it can never have had a stock attached. If it had a stock attached, you can make an identical firearm but it has to be registered as an SBS.:n00b: Bare receivers would not be importable so that leaves a USA produced Saiga receivers. I wanna know where they are getting them or if they are making them themselves.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    That's correct but in order to be an AOW, it can never have had a stock attached. If it had a stock attached, you can make an identical firearm but it has to be registered as an SBS.:n00b: Bare receivers would not be importable so that leaves a USA produced Saiga receivers. I wanna know where they are getting them or if they are making them themselves.

Contact them and ask. The least they can do is say "No". I would approach it as a concerned potential customer. If they arent using virgin receivers then they arent being properly registered.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    gubberment always finds a way to get a piece of the action. but that is kind of cool.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Contact them and ask. The least they can do is say "No". I would approach it as a concerned potential customer. If they arent using virgin receivers then they arent being properly registered.

I wasn't suggesting that there was any funny business going on. I just wondered out loud where the receivers were coming from.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Aw man that Saiga 12 pistol is so calling my name but lord those are mighty expensive. But it is the coolest small shotgun I have ever seen.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Wondering if any type of oil filter would work? There are smaller versions of oil filters that may give you a better aiming option. Especially if you run some kind of optic on your gun.

Also, how many rounds can you put through a filter??
    Interesting never the less!

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Anyone else notice that gun wasn't actually firing?

I just watched it three times... the hammer never drops and the slide never cycles.

Ok, must be a youtube thing. I watched it on youtube.com and it was obviously cycling. Nevermind.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I wonder if it is .22lr only??? Big oil can, big caliber? More likely, big caliber, big oil can flying off the end of your barrel.

That Saiga Super Shorty looks like a must have...when they make the price reasonable. I think someone accidentally put a mark in front of the $850 price.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I wonder if it is .22lr only??? Big oil can, big caliber? More likely, big caliber, big oil can flying off the end of your barrel.

That Saiga Super Shorty looks like a must have...when they make the price reasonable. I think someone accidentally put a mark in front of the $850 price.

I cant imagine why a larger filter couldn't handle at least the smaller pistol cals like 32acp and 380. Id have to try a 9mm but id imagine even that would work. As for the Saiga, its like the guys who chop a $250 Mossberg then sell it for $650+, very small market so its hard to mass produce components in quantities that would lower unit price. Ill bet there doing all the work in-house by hand, and that stuff has got to be time consuming. Time = $

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    didnt somebody do thin in the 80's with a 2 ltr bottle? and if memory serves me correct didnt the atf rain on that parade?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    didnt somebody do thin in the 80's with a 2 ltr bottle? and if memory serves me correct didnt the atf rain on that parade?

Yes, but these are already nfa items being made buy a SOT Manufacturer. No ATF problem here.

I may be willing to a group buy if a large enough group wanted to do it. I will look for the email and come up with a minimum number.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have zero interest in owning one of these. That said, if Curraheeguns does a group-buy on these then I REALLY want to shoot somebody's. :D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yes, but these are already nfa items being made buy a SOT Manufacturer. No ATF problem here.

I may be willing to a group buy if a large enough group wanted to do it. I will look for the email and come up with a minimum number.
    And that's exactly the parade that got rained on in the 80's.

I wasn't into NFA back then, but I've heard this from several people and it's always the same story so I doubt that it is a rumor or that it has be "altered"; I could still be wrong though.

They were selling the threaded adapter for 2-liter bottles. The adapter had the maker/serial # info on it. ATF shut them down pretty quickly. I can't see how this would be any different.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    IIRC there was a company just a couple years ago selling the bottle adapters. They were transferable on a Form4. Surely someone with good Google-fu can come up with a link.

Top Bottom