• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I was considering buying either an 11.5" or 10.5" barrel and building another AR but after reading a little on the net It says thats considered A SBR? Is this correct? If so how does a draco not fit in that catagory? Is it because It doesnt have a buttstock? I am new to this class 3 stuff, I was just seeing pictures of BCM 10.5" uppers and was wanting to get one and build me a spikes lower until I read a little into it, and now I'm just confused because it seems like a stupid law that you have to have a 16" barrel

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Yes, any rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches must be registered as an SBR. The Draco is considered a pistol since it does not have a buttstock and is sold as a pistol.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I was considering buying either an 11.5" or 10.5" barrel and building another AR but after reading a little on the net It says thats considered A SBR? Is this correct? If so how does a draco not fit in that catagory? Is it because It doesnt have a buttstock? I am new to this class 3 stuff, I was just seeing pictures of BCM 10.5" uppers and was wanting to get one and build me a spikes lower until I read a little into it, and now I'm just confused because it seems like a stupid law that you have to have a 16" barrel

Correct, under 16" and with a stock is considered an SBR.

Or under 16" and no stock is a pistol.....

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What they said.

And I'll add that BCM doesn't make a 10.5" that I'm aware of-- they're all 11.5"+.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    and remember kids, once a rifle, ALWAYS A RIFLE. You can NOT convert a rifle into a pistol. ever. period.

You can convert a pistol to a rifle by adding a stock, but remember it then becomes an SBR if the barrel is less than 16".

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    Yeah it seems like such a stupid law. I think i'll just look at getting a suppressor for my p22 instead. I already have two AR's so I dont really need a 3rd. It would be cool though, but so is a grand in my bank account instead.

BearArms Jim

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    and remember kids, once a rifle, ALWAYS A RIFLE. You can NOT convert a rifle into a pistol. ever. period.

You can convert a pistol to a rifle by adding a stock, but remember it then becomes an SBR if the barrel is less than 16".

what about a pistol grip shotgun? are there some stipulations

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    It's so worth it though:D

DSC_0463-1.jpg

DSC_0460-1.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

BearArms Jim

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    That would be a handgun in Indiana.

I was referring to the process of putting a pistol grip on a shotgun or rifle that was originally a long gun

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I was referring to the process of putting a pistol grip on a shotgun or rifle that was originally a long gun

Under federal law that would remain a long gun assuming barrel is not modified but it will be a handgun under IN law (dependent on overall and barrel length)

Here is IN code defining handgun:
    IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

This also means that you will need an LTCH to legally transport/carry it.

Top Bottom