• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I am wanting to get my first suppressor so I thought I would start with something small. I have a walther p22 already so which suppressor would you recommend for the money?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Here's a side-by-side comparison we did at NFA Day last year with P22's suppressed with a Gemtech OBII and a Tac65 (OBII in foreground, Tac65 in background):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-QEBaVAvco]YouTube - Dueling Suppressors[/ame]

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I like Silencerco Sparrow, AWC Spectre, and all the AAC's in .22 cans. If you go Gemtech Outback II make sure it is the "D" (disassemble) like Stnmikita said above. Any .22 silencer you want it to come a part "easy". Some take a part cans are a pain in the butt to get a part. Send the extra $ and get a nice can, in the long run you will own it forever, don't skimp out and be sorry down the road. www.nfatalk.org has free test data as well as Silencer Talk. To me an extra few bucks will be way worth it in the long run, esp with first round pops, and super sonic "bulk pack" noise levels.

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    You can spend $500 on something fancy or $199.95 on a really really quiet 100% take apart Thompson Machine Zephyr or Zephyr XL. :):

Thompson Machine

DSC_2693.jpg

DSC_2138.jpg

DSC_1264.jpg

DSC_1253.jpg

DSC_1248.jpg

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    + 1 for the outback II.

I guess I would like for it to come apart, but that wasn't important when I bought it. Hang out with some NFA guys, shoot some of each, and then make your decision.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I really like the Huntertown Arms 3-Piece, and the price is crazy cheap. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Pssst...you saw Curraheeguns' pics, right? You should read his sig... ;)
    Yep, when we signed up with Thompson (about two weeks ago), Brooks said that SSNFA was a stocking dealer...we haven't received any of their cans yet. Bill from NFAtalk drove down to Fla. and tested Thompson Machines cans, said he was impressed with the sound and machining. He has some of the results put on www.nfatalk.org iirc. Call SSNFA. :D

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I plan to buy a 22lr suppressor here ... like this week when my 22lr upper comes back from Tactical Solutions, which is.. today. :)

1. WHY is the Thompson so much cheaper.. there must be a reason beyond the name. Materials? Sound levels?

2. the Tactical Solutions 22 SBX upper, SAYS it allows 1" OD cans, but the Zephyr XL is listed at 1.125. When the upper comes back I will mic it and find out how close to the "cage" that will be, does anyone have any experiance wether this can be done or not?

3. The "Difference" between the Zephyr and the Zephyr XL sound wise... perceptible?

Thanks guys.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I plan to buy a 22lr suppressor here ... like this week when my 22lr upper comes back from Tactical Solutions, which is.. today. :)

1. WHY is the Thompson so much cheaper.. there must be a reason beyond the name. Materials? Sound levels?

2. the Tactical Solutions 22 SBX upper, SAYS it allows 1" OD cans, but the Zephyr XL is listed at 1.125. When the upper comes back I will mic it and find out how close to the "cage" that will be, does anyone have any experiance wether this can be done or not?

3. The "Difference" between the Zephyr and the Zephyr XL sound wise... perceptible?

Thanks guys.
    The way I see it with Thompson is this. They're a fairly new startup in the suppressor market. They're basing their design on slightly older, but not outdated technology (very little R&D needed). They're also competing heavily for market share so I have a feeling they're operating on a much smaller profit margin than most other manufacturers. Not to mention that most smaller operations with smaller overhead can produce at lower costs (look at SAS cans that easily compete with AAC cans for half the price).

Regarding sound difference, I recommend you check out the link to nfatalk.org posted above. I had heard about them but not registered there yet until I went to check out suppressor reviews. I had to register to see them, but it told me a lot. The zephyr and zephyr xl are very similar, slightly better reduction with the xl. For the same price, it sort of depends what your application is. Pistol where you want to be able clearly see sights over the can, I would get the regular one. If it's on a rifle and you want max suppression, then go with the xl. If you're not sure, I would pass on the xl. From the test results the difference was not a huge one, so you would likely only notice the difference if you were comparing them side-by-side on identical guns. :twocents:

Of course, my disclaimer is that I have never handled either of them and therefore I'm just speculating based up my experience with other suppressors and the test data posted online.

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    I have a 22Sparrow (22 Silencer | The 22 Sparrow Gun Suppressor from Silencerco) on order, just sent in the paper work to the ATF today, so I can't speak from experience, but videos like these helped me in my decision making process: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_AXHihPvBc"]YouTube - New Stainless 22Sparrow 22LR Suppressor Industry Comparison "PART 1"[/ame]

They seem like a good group of people and they will make testing videos of whatever people want to see for comparisons, so there's more on their youtube page. I'd say something user serviceable is a real plus if you're gunna hold onto it forever. And something tooless is also a plus if it's serviceable. I also like the idea of one that's about 5" long since most 22's you'll be putting it on are small framed and short, so having a honkin' suppressor on the end is kinda weird looking, lol. My 2 cents.

Top Bottom