• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    It's my understanding you can build yourself a silencer as long as you take the proper avenues to make it legal. Now my question is how do you stay out of trouble while it's in the prototype phase? Unless you stamped it first then built but I'm pretty sure you cant do that.

Ol' Wiley

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Indiucky (Clark Co.)
    Call ATF, they'll tell you everything you need to know. I believe you'll have to apply for the stamp (Form 1) before actually manufacturing even 1 piece... but don't take my word, talk to them.
    Otherwise, get a Class 2 SOT, Type 7 FFL to manufacture/sell.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    You need to fill out an ATF form 1 and have it approved and in your possession before you begin manufacturing anything. There were some recent changes to the ATF form 1 so make sure you get the updated one from their web site atf.gov rather than on some other suppressor smithing site. Very important: do not make any parts until you have your forms back and approved or you could face serious state and federal charges.

Also, the form 1 does not make it clear whether or not you need to supply drawings and plans when applying for a suppressor. You do NOT need to for a suppressor. You can get the forms approved and then design the can. Also, my form 1 was approved and I left the "length" category blank. This was not a mistake, but it is up to the examiner whether or not to approve a form 1 for a suppressor if it doesn't have the "length" filled in.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Decatur
    As stated above, the F1 has to be appoved before manufacturing any suppressor parts. CountryBoy19 F1'd a .308 can a while back, he may be able to give you some info on designs.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Top Bottom