• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I think you'd have yourself an unregistered short barreled rifle if you concocted one of these. Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope this kid got a tax stamp before making this video?
    YouTube - Glock Bump Fire

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Not an SBR, as the "stock" is not attached to the gun.

I read an article in one of the LE-focused gunrags shortly after Columbine that advocated the use of the Mag-Lite as an improvised stock when taking extended-range shots with one's duty pistol, in the absence of a patrol carbine.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Yep, just stupid. Jason (9mm something) from AR15.com does that trick with a magic marker. I didn't get to see it work but he can get it to work some of the time.

Dangerous and stupid IMHO. Considering I can bump my SBRs and AK74 aimed well from the shoulder, I don't see the point in trying to do that with a pistol.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Bubbajms,

It's called bump-firing. An item (a dowel rod, a marker, or in most cases a finger) is held horizontally and firmly. The gun is pressed forward into the item used to actuate the trigger. When done correctly, the gun recoils enough to take pressure off the trigger and allows it to reset the action, but the constant forward pressure on the gun pushes it back into the trigger which causes the gun to fire again and the cycle to repeat.

It isn't a typically recommended method of firing a weapon for any serious purposes. It is used to make a semi-automatic weapon fire about as quickly as a fully-automatic weapon.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Here is a letter I received in 2006 basically giving me a non-answer.
    You will never receive a definitive answer from the ATF FTB regarding
    "bump firing", after the approval then the reversal of the Akins Accelerator
    they now want to be able to change their minds whenever it is in their
    best interest without looking stupid.

atf%20letter.JPG

The magic marker was used in my video only because the glocks center
    trigger safety beats the crap out of my left index finger when bumpfiring.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Wouldn't the main point be "one shot per single function of the trigger"?
    You'd think, but then you get into the "What is the real definition of a 'trigger'?"

For instance, in the case of the infamous shoestring machine gun wherein a 14" section of shoelace was configured in such a manner to make a semi-automatic rifle with a reciprocating charging handle fire repeatedly. It was determined by the BATFE that such a section of string with two loops could be considered a machine gun while it was being used in such a manner.

In this case, the trigger is engaged by a combination of pressure placed on the string by the shooter's finger and by a loop tied around the reciprocating charging handle. As I said in the thread linked above:
    Since you pull on the ring and not the trigger, the ring becomes the new "trigger" and the trigger itself becomes sort of an auxiliary sear.

Thus, in the ATF's eyes, the trigger you're pulling on is depressed once and the gun keeps running.

Many machine guns work on the same principle, where (usually) the closing bolt trips an auto-sear which drops the hammer again. The shoestring just brings the action to the outside of the gun.
    That's why there is substantial ambiguity when it comes to what would seem to be a clear cut case of the trigger being repeatedly operated.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    No, one "pull" set into motion an automatic series of pulls of the trigger. It's not rocket science...

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Actually the ATF made devices that create an automatic firing sequence illegal about 2 years ago. You may have noticed that all the people selling the HELLFIRE attachments dried up. The letter specifically sited a stock that would mount the action with pins and rubber bands causing the action to slide back and reset the trigger, the receiver would then slide forward and fire again.
    I tried to find the letter one the ATF site but could not locate it. I might still have the copy in the shop but since I moved every thing is out of place.

Having said that if you are just looking to burn ammo they can be a lot of fun.

Top Bottom