• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I used this video to guide me through the paperwork process on my recent Form 1. It was quite helpful and I was able to use the very slick editable .pdf format. Very cool.

Thanks Tim!

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I used this video to guide me through the paperwork process on my recent Form 1. It was quite helpful and I was able to use the very slick editable .pdf format. Very cool.

Thanks Tim!
    This is the new and improved version of the old video. It took me 2 days of filming and editing to get this one right... I left some stuff out in the old video. But this one should be good to go in terms of being comprehensive.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Just a couple notes on the video that should probably be clarified in the sticky post or a future version of the video.

1. It needs to be noted that the Form HAS to be printed on one sheet of paper. If someone prints it out in the default manner (two sheets for most computers) it will get kicked back.

2. In the original manufacturer box in your example, you did not have the place of origin. This needs to be included as well (for your example of Colt Firearms, it would be Hartford, CT).

3. It should be noted that the OAL is measured from the tip of the muzzle (not including removable muzzle devices, to the end of the EXTENDED buttstock).

4. On the 5330.20, you stated that the country of citizenship line was for "the country where you reside." It should be noted that it is for the country where you hold citizenship. I wouldn't want anyone to think they would be disqualified because they hold citizenship in another country. They are good to go so long as they are a legal permanent resident. (Green card)

5. Lastly, it should be noted that YOU are applying to make a short-barrel rifle, so it is not legal to send out a fully assembled Title I firearm and receive back a fully assembled Title II firearm, since YOU wouldn't be the one making the SBR. In those cases, the person applying should cut the barrel to under 16" and then send it out to be finished (cut to proper length and crowned, threaded, whatever). The only legal way to have someone else do the conversion for YOUR form 1 is to physically be there to supervise the work.

In the case of your Kriss, where you would have the barrel cut down, if the barrel was easily removable (not familiar with the Kriss system) you can send that out to be cut down, and once you re-assembled it, YOU would be making the SBR. If it wasn't easily removable (like an HK or AK system), you would have to at least cut it to under 16", so that YOU did the actual making of the SBR and then it can be finished by someone else.

I know this video is about filling out the paperwork, so you probably don't want to go into all of the above stuff (who does the work) on the video, but the part about having someone else do the work should be removed if it is not clarified.

Overall, a very helpful video. Thanks for taking the time!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    1. It needs to be noted that the Form HAS to be printed on one sheet of paper. If someone prints it out in the default manner (two sheets for most computers) it will get kicked back.

How sure of this are you? I did not see anywhere where 1 page was stipulated in the instructions, so I printed on two.

Do I need to redo my CLEO signoff? (I haven't gotten forms back from CLEO yet)

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    How sure of this are you? I did not see anywhere where 1 page was stipulated in the instructions, so I printed on two.

Do I need to redo my CLEO signoff? (I haven't gotten forms back from CLEO yet)
    He's right, it has to be submitted as two identical double-sided forms. Reprint and resign before you send it to ATF.

On the ATF form download site ATF Online - Forms - Firearms they do state "(After you download the application, please photocopy the front and back of the application to one sheet of paper. The National Firearms Act Branch will not accept the application if the front and back are submitted on separate pages.)" for Forms 1, 4, & 5.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    He's right, it has to be submitted as two identical double-sided forms. Reprint and resign before you send it to ATF.

I guess not all is lost. I could just reprint the first page on the other side of the CLEO-signed second page. That should work.

These minor nuances are the most annoying things about the ATF paperwork.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I guess not all is lost. I could just reprint the first page on the other side of the CLEO-signed second page. That should work.

These minor nuances are the most annoying things about the ATF paperwork.
    A long time ago I made the mistake of not printing on both side and the ATF sent it back to me. Fortunately I had scanned the original before sending it off (with CLEO sign-off) and just printed another copy. It only took like 2 weeks after getting it back from the ATF for correction that they sent it back to me approved.

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    GREAT video.

Do you have any plans on doing one for Completing a Form 4 going the trust route? That is what I think I am going to do, is a trust.

Last edited:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Right now you're looking at 5-6 months before your paperwork comes back from the ATF. Everything you need to know about where to find the documents, how to fill them out and what's involved in the process is detailed in the video above.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Run the paper through the printer and only print one side of the document (select print page 1). Put the paper back in the printer up-side-down and print page 2.

Top Bottom