• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Tonight I finally got around to cleaning my .22 supressor and when I opened it up a large around of fine gray powder came poring out (half of it of course going into the air). Seeing as I just inhaled about a pound of it, im wondering what it was?

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    The residue inside a 22LR can is made up of thousands of near microscopic layers of lead and carbon based powder residue. Would wear gloves, a dust mask and work out side if cleaning a dirty can ... at least stay away from food prep areas and anyplace the little ones will be at (lead is very hard on the little ones).

When one dissolves the lead out of a stainless steel can (will attack aluminum to a varying degree) with a acetic acid (aka vinegar) and hydrogen peroxide you tend to make a lead compound / soup that is even easier to harm you. Thus this is not recommended outside of the controlled conditions ... plus takes weeks with home grade materials.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    The residue inside a 22LR can is made up of thousands of near microscopic layers of lead and carbon based powder residue. Would wear gloves, a dust mask and work out side if cleaning a dirty can ... at least stay away from food prep areas and anyplace the little ones will be at (lead is very hard on the little ones).

When one dissolves the lead out of a stainless steel can (will attack aluminum to a varying degree) with a acetic acid (aka vinegar) and hydrogen peroxide you tend to make a lead compound / soup that is even easier to harm you. Thus this is not recommended outside of the controlled conditions ... plus takes weeks with home grade materials.

Next time ill remember to use the mask :/ Always wear gloves though to avoid lead/skin contact.

Avoid the dip man... its bad stuff...

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    One off the things to remember is wash up after working with lead as metallic lead is not as bad as that which gets into by smoking (i.e. handling tobacco products with lead on your hands is double no no) or internally dissolved in some foods ...

Might not need the mask, but since you are have clouds of fine dust, would not hurt.

Take care, be safe and have fun.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    The dissolved lead in hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar make some mighty pretty blue crystals. Shame that they are extremely poisonous considering their beauty. If you use this method for cleaning be careful in what you do with the residue.

chuck

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    When I forget to clean them for a while I get a pretty white/blue residue on the baffles... I donno what it is, but im sure its highly toxic too...

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    The dissolved lead in hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar make some mighty pretty blue crystals. Shame that they are extremely poisonous considering their beauty. If you use this method for cleaning be careful in what you do with the residue.

chuck

Every thing of beauty is dangerous ... fast cars, women, guns and strong drinks (i.e. ethanol ;-) ..... at my age down to fast guns ;-)

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Apparent inhaling lead is no big deal, according to my latest blood lead check (get one every 6-8 months as every instructor I have ever met has said to) im at normal levels.

Top Bottom