• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I think this is a no-brainer but I was just wondering if anyone in here knew if converting a .22 to full auto required a class 3. I am thinking yes but I thought I would ask anyway. Also if one were to convert it would you then have to get it registered? (Not that "up" on class 3 info, thus the questions)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm no expert but I'd say yes to both. I'm thinking it might have to be converted by a Class 3, or is it 2, manufacturer. I'm sure you'll get the correct answer here soon though.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    No new full auto since may 1986, sorry unless your a c3 dealer/SOT. Your not converting one unless you buy a REGISTERED prior to 1986 trigger pack.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    legally for the general publis there is no way to convert a semi auto firearm to F/A

That's what I thought before I read BigCraig and Don's posts.

FWIW, though, that surprised me. I thought you had to have a registered (prior to 86) receiver, which is the actual firearm. Craig or Don, what's the registered part on those? Your mention of a "trigger pack" makes me think you're talking about several parts. Clarify, please? :)

Thanks and Blessings,
    Bill

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The trigger pack on a 10/22 contains all of the FCG parts. John Norrell built some of these that were fully automatic and registered a crap ton of them before the ban as machineguns. All that is required is to swap trigger packs from the factory one to the Norrell FA one and you've got a 10/22 machinegun. The packs come up for sale often and they are usually $10k.

To clarify, the 10/22's receiver is the firearm, but the trigger pack is the machinegun. Kind of like a drop-in auto-sear on an AR.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The trigger pack on a 10/22 contains all of the FCG parts. John Norrell built some of these that were fully automatic and registered a crap ton of them before the ban as machineguns. All that is required is to swap trigger packs from the factory one to the Norrell FA one and you've got a 10/22 machinegun. The packs come up for sale often and they are usually $10k.

To clarify, the 10/22's receiver is the firearm, but the trigger pack is the machinegun. Kind of like a drop-in auto-sear on an AR.

Thanks, Nick, I appreciate the speedy reply! Rep'd for good info.

Blessings,
    Bill

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just as a side note, and this is only internet rumor, but nobody knows how many trigger packs Norrel has, but he has been selling 10 per year since the ban and he isn't out of them yet. He has a waiting list over 2 years long at a price of $10K or more.

Take this with a grain of salt because it is only things I've read on the internet.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Just as a side note, and this is only internet rumor, but nobody knows how many trigger packs Norrel has, but he has been selling 10 per year since the ban and he isn't out of them yet. He has a waiting list over 2 years long at a price of $10K or more.

Take this with a grain of salt because it is only things I've read on the internet.

To further the rumor, it is said that before the 86 ban, John Norrel had hired an army of people to do nothing but fill out NFA paperwork. In theory, JN may have paper on thousands of 10/22 trigger packs, that haven't even been made, yet.

But the world may never know the truth, but the rumor sounds better.;)

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Well........ It's just a new plinking toy. Thanx for the info. If I was going to spend 10K on a weapons system I would mount a MK19 on my roof and spend the rest to feed it. Thats the best full auto I ever shot.

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    I believe there are 1 or 2 MK19's that are transferable, seems like I saw one awhile back in the $200,000 range 10k wouldn't quite get one. I would however agree that it is a fine weapon. I would hate to think of the cost to feed one though

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    To further the rumor, it is said that before the 86 ban, John Norrel had hired an army of people to do nothing but fill out NFA paperwork. In theory, JN may have paper on thousands of 10/22 trigger packs, that haven't even been made, yet.

Sounds like a smart guy.

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.

Wow... Ten a year, at $10K a pop, nice little retirement plan if you ask me...

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008

Seems like the ATF would have done an audit of some sort in the past 23 years that would have uncovered that kind of scheme ... unless he had something to show in place of trigger packs that weren't yet completed.

Regardless, if there is any truth to it, good on him.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Seems like the ATF would have done an audit of some sort in the past 23 years that would have uncovered that kind of scheme ... unless he had something to show in place of trigger packs that weren't yet completed.

Regardless, if there is any truth to it, good on him.

AFAIK, there is nothing illegal about JNs actions. Just smart thinking on his part.

Lets not forget that JN had to have quite a bit of money in hand to take on this, supposed, feet of financial brillance.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Aside from regulatory issues, I have to say this:

The second most fun firearm I have ever fired was a suppressed, select fire 10/22.

The one gun that was more fun than that gun was the same action/trigger group in a Krinker Plinker stock.

If I were going to get a full auto or select fire gun, it would be one of those trigger packs or something similar. Ammo cost for a centerfire machine gun would quickly eclipse the initial costs, but you could feed a 10/22 fairly reasonably. For now.

Top Bottom