Starting NFA process before finding the item I want?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    I would like to eventually get suppressors for my .22, .223 and for my .308 but am still researching the different choices. Is there a way to get some of the paperwork / application process under way before I purchase, or do I have to have the serial numbers of the items I want before I file anything?

If I can do some paperwork now, how long is it good before I have to resubmit that portion again? or are parts of it once and done?

lordt313

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Bonita Springs, FL
    You certainly can not do it in advance, you have to have an item to transfer first. The paper work is not a multi step process, you need to know (as well as the ATF and your CLEO so they can sign off) what is being transferred prior to submitting.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You certainly can not do it in advance, you have to have an item to transfer first. The paper work is not a multi step process, you need to know (as well as the ATF and your CLEO so they can sign off) what is being transferred prior to submitting.

In addition, the stamp is issued to a particular serial number as well. So even if you know you want a Silencerco Osprey in .45 caliber, you still need the serial number as well.

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    so can't even do the fingerprint, CLEO parts in advance?

Basically I have to buy an item, leave it with the guy I bought it from, do all the paperwork, pay the tax stamp, wait six months or so and then go back and pick up what I bought 6 months earlier?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

Basically I have to buy an item, leave it with the guy I bought it from, do all the paperwork, pay the tax stamp, wait six months or so and then go back and pick up what I bought 6 months earlier?

that is correct. that's the price you pay to play with NFA.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

Yep, sucks, doesn't it?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

You can get fingerprints done in advance if you want. You can go in and get 30 cards done if you want.

It's unlikely that a CLEO would sign off on a form that wasn't completely filled out, but I don't know of a legal reason why they couldn't.

But those aren't the parts that take time. If you really want to speed up the process, set up a trust. Then you can ditch the fingerprints and CLEO every time.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    You can also spend this time finding a lawyer and getting a trust drafted, so you don't need to do any of that CLEO and fingerprint nonsense.

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    I am thinking the trust might be the way to go. Started a thread asking for info on an attorney in southern indiana familiar with NFA and Trusts.

Top Bottom