• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    I dont own any class 3. but i am hoping to end that soon. i would like to own a SBR with a threaded barrel for a suppressor.

now my question. what is a good caliber and barrel length to start off with and who builds them that i can order one from?

my reason is i like to have a nice gun to turn around and tactical and make it into a fun gun to shot and have as a great home defense weapon.

I like of like it to be in 223 and two toned color.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I have a Colt AR 10.5 waiting on paperwork now.

Talk with Corey @ SSNFA https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ssnfa/56437-hello_and_welcome_from_ssnfa.html
    Or Clint at ACME in Seymour.

From my readings on AR SBR's you have to buy from a quality company, as many of them do not function correctly out of the box due to the short barrel length.

Novenske makes a great SBR but get ready to give up your right arm and first born to fund it. Colt also makes a good SBR. LMT had good reviewed from what I've read.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    10.5" or 11.5" are most common lengths. There are suppressor manufacturers that will not warranty their silencers if they are used on anything shorter than 10.5".

We have a couple 11.5" factory SBRs in stock right now if you would like to check out the length.

xtremegunnr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Get a 300 blackout and suppress it. This way you can shoot 400 yards with an 8.5" barrel and have the power or a 7.62x39 in a lightweight package. 556 is alright but that round was not made to be blasted from a short barrel. You will kill any suppressor you put on one if the barrel is less than 11.5.....and even then the blast baffle will give out

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    i dont want to use a round that is hard to find. i like to stay with something that is very common but light weight but i still want the range and power of the 308. i been reading some reload books and later on next year i well start to reload my own rounds. so in tell then i like to stick with a very common round.

for my first i like to see if i can keep it under $1500 bones. but i dont want to go cheap. something that can take up to 9months just for paper work i want to get the best i can first time.

i was to be able to have just one lower and two uppers that i can change out pretty fast. go from CQC to long range. and i want to be able to have one can that well fit both barrels.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    So, you are looking for a factory SBR?

The LMT posted above would be a great one to get.

Where are you located? Talking to SSNFA would be a good first step.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    pretty much i wanted the lower custom. a laser engraving on the side. then i want to replace most of the factor parts on it and custom the rest. dont want to have to pay for the labor just to put on new forearms, bipod, red dot.

i am also thinking i be fine with getting a SBR in 45 ACP. been told there pretty fun and work well with a suppresser.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    pretty much i wanted the lower custom. a laser engraving on the side. then i want to replace most of the factor parts on it and custom the rest. dont want to have to pay for the labor just to put on new forearms, bipod, red dot.

i am also thinking i be fine with getting a SBR in 45 ACP. been told there pretty fun and work well with a suppresser.

You can definitely customize your lower with just about any engraving you can think of. If you plan to replace all factory parts then my advice is to just buy a stripped lower and go from there. 45acp AR's are out there but they will cost you more than a 223/556.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    really? why would a 45 ACP SBR cost more then one in 223?

also wont the 223 mess up the suppresser? or is it the 308 that is to powerful for the suppresser?

45acp AR's are custom builds. They aren't very popular so I assume they will be more expensive. It will require a custom BCG and mag block.

223/556 will not mess up a suppressor. Some manufacturers do not warranty their 223/556 suppressors if less than a 10.5 barrel is used. 308 can also be suppressed. I think any caliber can:D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    i have seen a suppresser for a mini gun. not sure how good that is going to do or why anyone would want to try and suppress a beast like that. but thanks.

I am going to see about going up to downbythetrack and see if i can get a hold of a couple of SBR's and see how they feel 10.5 and 11.5.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    I chose .45 ACP for my first SBR. Too much energy loss IMHO if you shoot a .223 out of a short barrel, as well as the beating your suppressor will take. My SBR will be for closer shooting, .45 is readily available, and the .45 round is already subsonic, making it ideal for suppressing.

My choice would break the budget, but I went with a Kriss Vector. Can't wait!!

Top Bottom