Suppressor Transfer without FFL when made in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    Buying Options for TX Residents | Silencer Shop Talks about shipping a suppressor directly from the manufacturer Silencer Shop to residents in Texas without going through a FFL?

Is this because they are both in Texas? Can Indiana residents also buy direct from someone like Huntertown Arms since we also are both within the same state?

Would save someone the cost of an FFL transfer if that is the case.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Buying Options for TX Residents | Silencer Shop Talks about shipping a suppressor directly from the manufacturer Silencer Shop to residents in Texas without going through a FFL?

Is this because they are both in Texas? Can Indiana residents also buy direct from someone like Huntertown Arms since we also are both within the same state?

Would save someone the cost of an FFL transfer if that is the case.

I would say that Texas is pushing back against Washington much like Montana did enacting a state law making it legal to possess any NFA weapon made in Montana and clearly marked as such. I have not heard anything about how this has or has not worked out. My guess is that in practice it either has or will have the same issues as is the case with states which have legalized marijuana, but that is strictly conjecture on my part.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would say that Texas is pushing back against Washington much like Montana did enacting a state law making it legal to possess any NFA weapon made in Montana and clearly marked as such. I have not heard anything about how this has or has not worked out. My guess is that in practice it either has or will have the same issues as is the case with states which have legalized marijuana, but that is strictly conjecture on my part.

if this happens in indiana huntertown arms will go to my speed dial:D

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN

Is it that, or is it because a suppressor is an accessory and not a 'firearm'. FFL have to be used for the 'firearm' part of a weapon, the receiver. The other parts don't. Just as stocks and barrels don't have to go through a FFL, maybe suppressors don't? (although that doesn't explain why that one company only does it within Texas).

Of course suppressor also have to have a serial number like a receiver so maybe that makes it necessary to use a FFL?

I don't know..just trying to clarify. If anyone can find the legal statues/regulations that apply please post.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Is it that, or is it because a suppressor is an accessory and not a 'firearm'. FFL have to be used for the 'firearm' part of a weapon, the receiver. The other parts don't. Just as stocks and barrels don't have to go through a FFL, maybe suppressors don't? (although that doesn't explain why that one company only does it within Texas).

Of course suppressor also have to have a serial number like a receiver so maybe that makes it necessary to use a FFL?

I don't know..just trying to clarify. If anyone can find the legal statues/regulations that apply please post.

A suppressor is regulated just as any other weapon controlled under the NFA. Get caught with an unregistered can even if you have never owned a firearm of any type, suitable or not for use with the can in question and see how fast you get a long vacation at Club Fed.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    did find this ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Brady Law
    Q: Is a NICS check required for the sale of firearms registered under the National Firearms Act (NFA)? No, assuming all NFA requirements have been satisfied.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(t), 27 CFR 478.102(d)]
    Now that is just NICS check but makes me wonder

The best explanation I can offer for this is that they consider it unnecessary after they spend a prolonged period of time putting you through a check that would have been deep enough to have sent Obama back to Kenya before his name ever hit the ballot.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    also check out http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-15.pdf pages 3-4 Exceptions to the Background Check Requirement . # 6

Since you have to get approval from ATF and tax stamp, doesn't that mean you wouldn't need to go through a FFL as long as it is all within a particular state?

I don't have an answer for that one, but from what I understand of the process, it is arduous enough that by the time it becomes an issue, it would be a very small detail one way or other.

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    I don't have an answer for that one, but from what I understand of the process, it is arduous enough that by the time it becomes an issue, it would be a very small detail one way or other.

It would save the cost of paying a FFL to transfer, which from what I have heard, is about $100 for a NFA item. That could buy a whole lot of .22LR ammo.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    It would save the cost of paying a FFL to transfer, which from what I have heard, is about $100 for a NFA item. That could buy a whole lot of .22LR ammo.

Or if you buy a few, the savings could pay for an extra suppressor, but i don't think that's how it works. It's kind of like, you want to buy lets say a G-17L from me, fine no dealer involved, we are legal, but if you want a brand new one from the factory, you will have to go through a dealer. I'm not positive, and some of the laws are vague, but that's how i understand it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A direct F4 transfer from the manufacturer will cut out the F3 wait time and the FFL transfer fees etc.

IIRC, a licensed manufacturer can also deal in firearms. So AFAIK a licensed SOT manufacturer should be able to sell NFA weapons directly to the customer if they're within the same state providing they collect sales tax and transfer them on F4 etc.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    A direct F4 transfer from the manufacturer will cut out the F3 wait time and the FFL transfer fees etc.

IIRC, a licensed manufacturer can also deal in firearms. So AFAIK a licensed SOT manufacturer should be able to sell NFA weapons directly to the customer if they're within the same state providing they collect sales tax and transfer them on F4 etc.

You are correct. However, most if not all suppressor manufactures will only sell to dealers. Lot less paperwork and hassle for them.

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    You are correct. However, most if not all suppressor manufactures will only sell to dealers. Lot less paperwork and hassle for them.

I think that is the key. It is allowed within their state but most manufacturers don't do it. I would think it would increase sales but I could also see why they wouldn't want to step on the toes of their local retailers. It would also would mean they would have to collect sales tax which they should not have to collect when they sell to dealers. And that could be a hassle they don't want to deal with.

I checked with Huntertown Arms and they only sell to dealers.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    hrm

I saw a special on TV about Montana's issues with ATF and their gun laws recently. The ATF is all over Montana from they were saying, doing raids on homes and what not. According to what I saw (and understand I have not confirmed this) what they are doing in Montana is having different people manufacture different parts of the guns. So Sally makes the barrel, Kelly makes the action, Betty makes the lower/stock, and depending on the actual item being built they may have someone else make other parts or order them. Then they buy (trade) all the parts and assemble them. Now I'm sure there's more to the process but the show wasn't about to tell the average Henrietta how to make a weapon while subverting NFA regulations. They only made brief mention of suppressors and auto's on the show (and nothing about AOW's/DD's)and I can't recall what was said off the top of my head, but that was the gist of the whole thing.

Top Bottom