• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I am considering buying a suppressor but could use some info before I start getting involved in all the Class 3 paperwork and wai times for a can. I have heard conflicting reports about a suppressor for .300 win mag. The first one is any .308 can is fine. The other is that a .308 can wont have enough volume capacity to effectively suppress the sound and I should consider using a suppressor for a .338 Lapua to allow for extra gas volume to make the can work. Anyone out there with any real experience with these setups your input would be appreciated.:draw:

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I have the YHM Phantom suppressor. According to YHM themselves it can be used on any 30 cal cartridge, even the big magnums. I've never used it on anything but .308 and lesser cartridges, but given the shear size and heft of that can I would say it could easily withstand a 300 win mag.

Have you ever shot a can on a big bore cartridge? You might want to try before you buy one. They are not as quiet as you might expect.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    No I have never shot a big bore with a suppressor just a friends ar-15 5.56 and his .22 pistol. They were both fairly quiet compared to being shot unsuppressed. The .22 positively could be shot without need for hearing protection and I felt the 5.56 ar was quiet enough to not need hearing protection.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Awesome, always good to see someone getting into the art of suppressor stamp collecting. :)

I would just get a big hefty 30 cal can and go with that. Mine has worked very well at suppressing the 308 and it also work pretty decent in a sub caliber role too.

I am working on a project 7mm rem magnum that will be suppressed soon. If i can get a video of it with my 30 cal can soon i will post it. Might give you an idea of what a magnum caliber suppressed sounds like.

No I have never shot a big bore with a suppressor just a friends ar-15 5.56 and his .22 pistol. They were both fairly quiet compared to being shot unsuppressed. The .22 positively could be shot without need for hearing protection and I felt the 5.56 ar was quiet enough to not need hearing protection.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I went with the YHM 7.62 phantom. There will be a note stating it will withstand .300win-mag or if it's just for a .308win pressures and down. I think I spent right at $600 for this model Stainless .30 Cal. Q.D. Phantom M2 - $800.00 : YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. | Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors, Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors.
    This was in the FAQ's "Can I shoot .300 Win. Mag. through my Phantom 7.62 suppressor?
    Answer: This suppressor will work on ANY .30 caliber round including the Win. Mag. and Ultra Mag.
    I purchased it and got my paper work off at the end of March the NFA check cleared a few weeks ago so I would expect late October early Nov. The paperwork process was extremely easy and straight forward.

Top Bottom