What if you move while stamp is pending?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Theoretically, what if you move while the stamp is pending? I would assume you update your address with the BATFE as soon as you receive the stamp?
    Thanks!
    dave

A10WEAPONSGUY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    just wait until you recieve your item and then submit a change of address form to the ATF. they don't even require your paperwork to match you drivers license...pretty crazy if you ask me.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    If in state you need to contact ATF before it is approved on Form 1's or if you are a seller. If out of state you need to cancel the transfer and start over with a SOT in the new state.
    ^^^^ This!!!!!

just wait until you recieve your item and then submit a change of address form to the ATF. they don't even require your paperwork to match you drivers license...pretty crazy if you ask me.
    NOT THIS^^^^^^^^^

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    If you're doing a SBR or something along that line, you can take it across state lines with no notification, since it isn't a NFA item until the stamp is approved. Just don't convert it until you get your stamp, then send in a 5320.20 to notify of change of address.

If your mail is forwarded and you get it fine, and you update the location of the item when it BECOMES a registered item, then I don't see where a problem would be. As with almost everything else NFA, there's no reg, so use your best judgement.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    If the item in question is being transferred to you in state and you're not moving out of state than you can wait til the transfer is approved and then send in an address change. Its not a big deal and since the form is being sent to the transferor it will go to them regardless of where you move.

If the item is a form 1 and you are the maker than you can contact NFA Branch with an address change so that the form will be sent to you at the new address. This is true as long as you are moving in state.

If you are moving out of state than it gets more tricky and you will need to give more info in order to get a better answer. Some states don't allow some or all NFA. Illinois does permit some but requires more than just the federal forms for things like short barreled rifles. More info will help get you a better answer.

Frank

Top Bottom