Thread: What if you move while stamp is pending?

Plinker

User Info Menu

What if you move while stamp is pending?

Theoretically, what if you move while the stamp is pending? I would assume you update your address with the BATFE as soon as you receive the stamp?
    Thanks!
    dave

User Info Menu

In state is no problem out of state is a problem.

User Info Menu

If in state you need to contact ATF before it is approved on Form 1's or if you are a seller. If out of state you need to cancel the transfer and start over with a SOT in the new state.

Plinker

User Info Menu

just wait until you recieve your item and then submit a change of address form to the ATF. they don't even require your paperwork to match you drivers license...pretty crazy if you ask me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curraheeguns View Post
    If in state you need to contact ATF before it is approved on Form 1's or if you are a seller. If out of state you need to cancel the transfer and start over with a SOT in the new state.
    ^^^^ This!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A10WEAPONSGUY View Post
    just wait until you recieve your item and then submit a change of address form to the ATF. they don't even require your paperwork to match you drivers license...pretty crazy if you ask me.
    NOT THIS^^^^^^^^^
    http://ingunowners.com/forums/signat...gpic4389_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    I thought I could eat sushi and then I saw westside eat sushi. I am in awe.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Westside View Post
    ^^^^ This!!!!!
    NOT THIS^^^^^^^^^
    Will that delay approval?

User Info Menu

If you're doing a SBR or something along that line, you can take it across state lines with no notification, since it isn't a NFA item until the stamp is approved. Just don't convert it until you get your stamp, then send in a 5320.20 to notify of change of address.

If your mail is forwarded and you get it fine, and you update the location of the item when it BECOMES a registered item, then I don't see where a problem would be. As with almost everything else NFA, there's no reg, so use your best judgement.

Plinker

User Info Menu

If the item in question is being transferred to you in state and you're not moving out of state than you can wait til the transfer is approved and then send in an address change. Its not a big deal and since the form is being sent to the transferor it will go to them regardless of where you move.

If the item is a form 1 and you are the maker than you can contact NFA Branch with an address change so that the form will be sent to you at the new address. This is true as long as you are moving in state.

If you are moving out of state than it gets more tricky and you will need to give more info in order to get a better answer. Some states don't allow some or all NFA. Illinois does permit some but requires more than just the federal forms for things like short barreled rifles. More info will help get you a better answer.

Frank

Plinker

User Info Menu

This is hypothetically an in-state move. Thanks for the replies.