Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noob question about machine guns.

User Info Menu

Noob question about machine guns.

I did search this, but did not find an exact answer. So, would all full autos be classified as a machine gun, or just ones that have the ability to shoot a certain amount of ammunition? Thanks for any clarification.

User Info Menu

If it fires more than one round with a single pull of the trigger, it's a machine gun.
    Charlie don't surf!!!

Former SP3 Worker

User Info Menu

Ryan "ElDirector"

User Info Menu

Thanks, that is what I thought, but someone told me it had to do with magazine size.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    Thanks, that is what I thought, but someone told me it had to do with magazine size.
    A larger magazine would certainly HELP, but not required.

Heck, by ATF definitions, you don't even need a magazine. Just enough parts to assemble something that COULD fire 2 shots (or more) with one trigger pull.

Lots of folks get confused between Machine Guns and the fictional "assault weapon". The first has an actual definition. The second is made up "on the fly" by anyone wanting to make something more scary.
    Ryan "ElDirector"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    Heck, by ATF definitions, you don't even need a magazine. Just enough parts to assemble something that COULD fire 2 shots (or more) with one trigger pull.
    A rubber band can be a machine gun, according to the ATF.

Meh.

rvb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    In OHIO, the legal definition includes magazine size... In addition to the federal definition given above, any firearm (except .22LR) that can fire more than 31 rounds w/o reloading is considered a machine gun. So it's not legal to use magazines that hold more than 30 rounds in Ohio. You can get around this capacity issue by registering as an SBR or AOW (they don't care that the firearm is a registered machine gun, just that it's in the NFA registry [the NFRTR]).

So if you happened to be getting your information from an OH native............

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

Plinker

User Info Menu

Full auto means machinegun in any case. If its a machinegun its full auto. The terms are interchangeable and synonymous. For some reason our media idiots have spread this idea that a machinegun is anything that looks like a machinegun and full auto is illegal. As with most media crap its BS. Full auto and machinegun are the same.

As noted the state of ohio and possibly other states have laws relating to magazine size but none of them have anything to do with fed regs or definitions.

Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amafrank View Post
    The terms are interchangeable and synonymous.
    No, they're not. A 3-round burst is still a machine gun, but I would argue that it is not also "full auto".

Meh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scutter01 View Post
    No, they're not. A 3-round burst is still a machine gun, but I would argue that it is not also "full auto".

If it fires more than one round per trigger pull, it's full auto. Listen to Frank. Hes forgotten more about the class three world than you'll ever know.
    This space for rent. I doubt you'll like the rates...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast