AK SBR, is the yugo m92 pistol the starting point?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I am considering venturing into the Class III world. See how I dont currently have an AK, im wanting to start with an AK SBR. My question to you: is the yugo m92 pistol the starting point? Ive read alot online and on this forum on this topic and my head was spinning. Ive seen m92s recently between $550 and $650, plus a tax stamp and a stock i thought it was a good way to dip my toes in class III. Id love to hear everyone opinions.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    AK SBR was my entry into NFA. I used a draco and that was REALLY easy. I know some people on here were going to SBR the PAP though. Don't know how they turned out.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    An M92 would be a great way to go. Once you stamp comes in, it's just a matter of having the holes milled out for an under folder and getting your info engraved on it. Just don't make the same mistake I did, and make sure the serial number is near the front trunnion rather than over the pistol grip. Otherwise your stuck adding something to the back like an ACE folder.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Also since its gonna be NFA item you don't have to make it 922r compliant.

Actually, I think the jury's still out on that one:

2i5fgg.jpg

34ero6e.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_22/302593_SBR_and_922r_compliance.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_82/96054__ARCHIVED_THREAD____SBR_and_922_compliance.html&page=1

Compliance parts for AKs are cheap and plentiful; I would suggest it's much easier to be compliant, than not to be and risk being a test case.

My :twocents:

Last edited:

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I think I actually want to do the ace folding mech. In the back.
    One minor detail is the M92's rear trunnion is slightly angled which means your stock will be too if you don't shim it. You may not care any way. I prefer the Stormwerkz mech because it locks open and closed.

Thanks to Tradertator, I have an underfolder for me newer M92 with the forward serial number. Trying to decide the order I want to do it in. I was originally thinking engrave with Laserscribe, stamp, DIY drill holes for underfolder. Now I'm not sure if I should risk the tax stamped receiver with my DIY job, but I would really like the project aspect. I've threaded barrels, converted Saigas, added a side rail, so I like the doing the work, but I know drilling the receiver will be a real pain. Since there is a chance I could seriously mess something up, I'm thinking about attaching a permanent muzzle device and adding the stock, then taking it off when I get the stamp. Am I being overly cautious?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I don't think so ^. I waited until after my engraving was done to file my form 1 on both my SBR's. The ATF is already a pain in the ass to deal with, I can't imagine what would happen if something got screwed up on the gun while it was in pending status.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Thats what I did. Also I went with a side folder.
    Yeah, logically I like the idea of a Stormwerkz hinge and a Manitcore Triangle folder so that I wouldn't need a forward latch but would still have the traditional Suchka, but I remember the first time I saw a SBR underfolder M92 and my heart skipped a beat. It doesn't normally do that with underfolders...

I don't think so ^. I waited until after my engraving was done to file my form 1 on both my SBR's. The ATF is already a pain in the ass to deal with, I can't imagine what would happen if something got screwed up on the gun while it was in pending status.
    That's why I would like to have the stock on as a 16" barrel w/ extension. But putting on the extension is just more cost and build time.

...and it looks awesome
    :gotpics:

Top Bottom