• ...and so much more!
  • engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Deal Overview

199Trust.com is a document creation service that creates NFA Gun Trust documents at the specific direction of our customers.

Fine Print

• Gearhog.com and 199Trust are not law firms and do not provide legal advice, if you need legal assistance or are unclear of the laws in your state, you should contact a local lawyer before purchasing these documents.

Sounds like they've got Quiken Willmaker or similiar and are entering your data for you. Some deal!

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    For what's it's worth, I spoke to two different attorneys that I know about this (neither offers NFA trusts, so they have no skin in the game other than being friends of mine). Both of their recommendations was to go through an actual attorney for the trust creation, mainly to gain peace of mind in terms of coverage and responsibility for the content.

Here is what one of them wrote back to me:

I know very little about this. However, I make a lot of money from clients to undo what they did first with forms on their own. Also, an attorney is an insurance policy in a way. If done wrong, they will fix it or their malpractice carrier will do so, and with the criminal laws now surrounding it, if you do it, you will be charged. If an attorney does it, you are more likely to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Go with an attorney with experience in the area. It usually is worth the money because nothing bad happens.

Feel free to take that with a grain of salt, if you want. I would recommend shopping around a bit for different NFA attorneys. There are several people commonly recommend (like Grant Liston, who I used, and Guy Relford, who is a fellow INGOer). Find one that meets your budget and business style.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I haven't set up a trust, though I may just. I looked into the efile thing and sounds like processing times are reduced. That, plus not having to do the fingerprints, photo, and sign-off hassle.

I read a post once that caused me to look at it in a slightly different light. Everyone is worried about having a 100% complete and accurate trust that is G2G and CYA and all that. Which is great. Whether you do an individual, LLC, Corp., or trust, it's all just a vehicle to jump through the hoops and legally get class III in your hands without fear of prosecution if found out. Once it's in your hands, who cares if there's some bizarre situation where your nephew's third child isn't a proper trustee or whatever.

If you have the stamp and a valid trust in hand, that's good enough to cover for any law dog that comes nosing around your stand at the range. The jokers at the BATF get a copy of the trust when you send your forms in, so they have their chance to look at it. If it's totally bogus, they'll probably reject it. Otherwise, you pays your money and you gets your stamp. The only time it may get complicated is when you die and the possession of the items passes on to someone else. But you get a free transfer on a form 5 when you die, right? Maybe not on a trust, but if you write in another trustee, you're fine and they feds don't need to be involved with the change of possession.

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    I've been looking into it but don't yet have an NFA trust so take this FWIW. My experience has been that it's false economy to save a few bucks on Lawyers, Surgeons, or tax professionals. In these areas the cost of a mistake can be extreme. I've decided it's worth it to do these things "right" the first time.

If any legal product you are buying has a statement to the effect that it doesn't "represent legal advice" or "establish a client attorney relationship" they are telling you that you are on your own if things don't go right and that they offer no promise that what you are getting actually does anything for you legally. It's personal choice to decide the value of something like that.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    But yet how do you know that your specific lawyer is even doing it correctly? You wont truly find out one way or the other until the trust is being scrutinized for whatever reason. Kinda like walking in to a doctor and TRUSTING that he knows what he is doing. You never know for sure.

Top Bottom