• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrianRetter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Randolph County
    I've been having the itch to get into the world of NFA. I did a search and couldn't really find what I was looking for (although I'm new to forums, so I could've easily missed it). Essentially, I'm interested in a BCM CQB11 (11.5" barrel). However, I'm wanting to go the AR-Pistol to SBR route so I have something to shoot while I'm waiting on my NFA Forms to go through. I am entirely new to NFA (And AR-Pistols, for that matter) and want to make sure I do things right. I can buy the BCM 11.5" upper separate which I plan to do...now basically I have no idea what it is I need to do next to stay inside the law. I'm assuming I can buy/order a pistol lower kit through my FFL, buy the upper, assemble it and be GTG as far as the pistol is concerned? Then what exactly do I need to do for the next step towards SBR'ing it? If anyone has a link that could tell me step by step how to do this it would be greatly appreciated!

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    You pretty much have it there. One point, if you currently have an AR rifle lower and no pistol lower then you can't get the short upper yet. You would want to get the pistol lower first to be completely legal. Since nobody is going to check your safe, what you do is up to you.

AR pistol cannot easily accept a stock, means a buffer tube that is made for a stock is no good. Get a pistol buffer tube.

No vertical fore grip on an AR pistol.

All other parts are the same.

When end you are ready to apply to build the SBR then you will file a Form 1 with the ATF, pay the $200 tax and wait 4 to 8 months. I highly recommend getting an NFA Trust and going the e-forms route. I use 199trust, there are lawyers can help you as well, I believe some are sponsors on INGO.

If if you have an NFA dealer nearby, it would be good to talk to them about the process. My local dealer was willing to walk me through the whole process.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I've been having the itch to get into the world of NFA. I did a search and couldn't really find what I was looking for (although I'm new to forums, so I could've easily missed it). Essentially, I'm interested in a BCM CQB11 (11.5" barrel). However, I'm wanting to go the AR-Pistol to SBR route so I have something to shoot while I'm waiting on my NFA Forms to go through. I am entirely new to NFA (And AR-Pistols, for that matter) and want to make sure I do things right. I can buy the BCM 11.5" upper separate which I plan to do...now basically I have no idea what it is I need to do next to stay inside the law. I'm assuming I can buy/order a pistol lower kit through my FFL, buy the upper, assemble it and be GTG as far as the pistol is concerned? Then what exactly do I need to do for the next step towards SBR'ing it? If anyone has a link that could tell me step by step how to do this it would be greatly appreciated!
    Welcome to INGO. Lots of great people here.
    Romad pretty much nailed it. I am in process of turning my pistol into an SBR. Basically I bought an 11.5" upper with an Anderson lower that was 4473'd as an "Other". That way it can be used as either. I built it up using a SIG Brace to make sure it functioned properly and felt good on the range. I then had the lower engraved by LaserScribe with my Trust name, City and State. Then I went to ATFonline.gov and filled out the Form 1 and paid the $200 with a credit card. That was on Sunday February 1st and I expect it to me approved this next week. Once it's approved I'll put a standard rifle buffer and stock on it. I can leave the Brace on it though as a rifle can have a pistol buffer but not the other way around. I highly suggest getting a Trust. It shortens the delay to about a month on form 1's and 3 months on form 4's. Currently form 4's are not on efile. It also makes it much easier to to submit the forms as you don't have to get finger prints and the CLEO signature. Trusts are essentially revocable family trusts that most any lawyer can draw up or there are multitudes of online resources. I've shared mine with some friends and all they had to do was edit the Word doc and replace my info with theirs and then get it notarized in 2 places. As my grand kids say "ezy peezy!". Slow Hand's link is well worth watching too as it makes it very easy to fill out the online Form 1.
    The hardest part of all the NFA stuff is coming up with all the money you'll spend without the wife/SO finding out and the wait. The wait can be torturous!
    Again welcome to INGO and don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have. There is a plethora of knowledge here.
    Dan

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    romad7 said:
    AR pistol cannot easily accept a stock, means a buffer tube that is made for a stock is no good. Get a pistol buffer tube.

While I agree this is the "safest" route, it is perfectly legal to have a standard carbine-style receiver extension on an AR pistol.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    While I agree this is the "safest" route, it is perfectly legal to have a standard carbine-style receiver extension on an AR pistol.
    It should be but I think that having it "easily" adaptable to having a stock really puts it in the grey area. But then I have an AR pistol with a pistol tube in the safe and a 6 position tube and stock sitting on top of the safe. Is that easily adapted? Grey areas are what makes lawyers rich and us poor!

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Yes, I prefer the safest route when dealing with this stuff. Especially since most of my NFA items are purpose built/bought for defensive purposes. I stay out of grey areas with those particular tools especially. That's why I took off my Sig Brace when I saw the latest BS ATF letter. If I end up in court, I want it to be an easy black and white deal.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I went the pistol to SBR route. I left mine as a pistol-

IMG_0001_zpsp5pizmjv.jpg

After the Form 1 cleared I had the lower engraved and put the stock on. I have did some changes shice then-
    DSCN2592_zps4ac553d6.jpg

Top Bottom