• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    So I have recently set up a trust and want to build a high quality AR lower to be my engraved SBR lower. I'm looking for suggestions on which lower to go with. I've considered SanTan tactical and Noveske billet recievers. I'm also considering a billet set. And I'd like the lower to be ambi...any suggestions? (I know functionally all lowers are the same, I want this lower to be able to be handed down since it will be in a trust. I also know forged lower hold up just fine.)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have been REALLY impressed by the Seekins billet ambi lowers!! Amazing quality and design. If your going to sbr and basicly have the gun for life, I highly recomend spending the extra money and getting everything you want in your lower. They make an ambi lower with a curved Magwell. I'm personaly not into that look, so for plain jane guys like me they also make a regular profile squared off type ambi lower. I seriously recomend te Seekins. The ambi mag AND ambi bolt release especialy is amazing!!!!!
    USDS in greenwood (also an advertiser here on ingo) stocks these lowers. Go in and feel one in person. (317)300-8192

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I don't know much about SanTan but Noveske makes good stuff. Some others that have a rep for quality are Daniel Defense, BCM, Spikes Tactical and I my mind is blanking now but any of those will be a great investment. My SBR is a Daniel Defense. I have an Aero Precision lower that I'll probably to the paperwork on also, I've heard nothing but good about them also.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't know much about SanTan but Noveske makes good stuff. Some others that have a rep for quality are Daniel Defense, BCM, Spikes Tactical and I my mind is blanking now but any of those will be a great investment. My SBR is a Daniel Defense. I have an Aero Precision lower that I'll probably to the paperwork on also, I've heard nothing but good about them also.
    I've also became a huge fan of aero.
    yes I agree, NOVESKE, DD, spikes, bcm,
    all fantastic. But for the money I'd rather have the billet ambi from Seekins.
    Noveske is awesome but jacked up in price a lot just from name alone. Daniel defense didn't use to sell lowers only, maybe now they do? Spikes has some cool billets. Bcm yeah cool, I like them.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I don't know if DD sells lowers now that you mention it, mine started as a complete rifle. I have to agree on Seekins too.

The Aero Precision is the Ghost Gun lower, I grew up in California so I had to have it. Right now it's built as a suppressed pistol with a Sig Brace as a big FU to California.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    They seem to make good stuff too. The lower looks really well thought out, I like all the ambi features.

Although...those extra parts for the ambi mag/bolt release are going to be specific to that company and maybe not available years down the road. Something to think about in this case. It would suck to have an SBR lower and break an unavailable part. I guess that depends on how much you will train with the rifle. For something like an SBR lower, I would almost lean towards standardized parts.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I had a short kick where all I wanted were billet uppers/lowers. Thankfully it was short lived before I started filling out several Form 1s. I now have SBR'd a Mega, Seekins, and a Spike's. All AR-15 forged lowers. Couldn't be happier.

I have SBR'd a PSA PA-10 lower and it does have proprietary party so I've ordered 2 sets of spares just in case.

Mega also makes a very nice ambi set but like the above poster stated, I think I'd be very hesitant to SBR an ambi set.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    I ordered and should be receiving a Mega lower today (?) for this purpose. I looked around and considered a few different makes like noveske, seekins and others but liked the Mega the most. When I set out I wanted a LaRue lower but they stopped selling them and 450 on gunbroker for the lower was a bit much. The Billet Noveske lowered were a bit difficult to find too.

VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    I saw a Wilsons Combat reciever set at a shop today...anybody used one of these lowers?

Wilson Combat is one of the best kept secrets in the AR business IMO. I love dealing with them and their stuff is top notch. If the set you saw was a matched set I'd love to hear your impressions. Most companies sell you an off the shelf "matched set" that still wobbles like the unmatched sets. WC hand fits theirs so they are snug. As close to a factory (high end) rifle as you can get when it comes to upper lower fit.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    The Noveske billet lowers are cerakoted, which makes me think engraving it may chip it....? I intend to do just that, but I didn't intend to have an SBR when I bought it. I've got two billet lowers, Noveske and a POF. I wouldn't pay extra for either in retrospect, but wow they were expensive when I bought them.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    The Noveske billet lowers are cerakoted, which makes me think engraving it may chip it....? I intend to do just that, but I didn't intend to have an SBR when I bought it. I've got two billet lowers, Noveske and a POF. I wouldn't pay extra for either in retrospect, but wow they were expensive when I bought them.

Noveske Gen I and Gen II lowers are forged. The only billet lower Noveske makes is the Gen III and they haven't been out for long. Is yours a Gen III?

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Noveske Gen I and Gen II lowers are forged. The only billet lower Noveske makes is the Gen III and they haven't been out for long. Is yours a Gen III?
    Yes it is. They were new late last spring I think. Then I put a gen 3 Reece upper on it. Perfect fit. I forget all of the specs/terminology. Awfully expensive all in all and probably wouldn't buy again, because I am more utility minded than aesthetically when it comes to an AR. It's a beautiful setup for sure though. I need to learn how to post pics...

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Yes it is. They were new late last spring I think. Then I put a gen 3 Reece upper on it. Perfect fit. I forget all of the specs/terminology. Awfully expensive all in all and probably wouldn't buy again, because I am more utility minded than aesthetically when it comes to an AR. It's a beautiful setup for sure though. I need to learn how to post pics...

Yeah, I'm not going to drop +$300 on the Billet Gen 3s. I'm debating whether or not to pull the trigger on a chainsaw Gen 1 for $165.

Top Bottom