• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I'm trying to sort as much out as I can before 41f goes into effect. I currently have a Specwar 556, and an Omega. The Omega is currently home on my 11.5 bcm upper. This is my patrol rifle, so length and weight are a big factor. I love how light and fast the gun is with no can. Obviously the Omega is light, but it's still 6.8 inches with the ASR set up. I'd like to get a bit shorter, similar weight, and still be able to shoot it some without permanent hearing loss. The ultimate goal and reason for wanting a can on it is to prevent hearing damage if I do ever have to use it, but it doesn't have to be the quietest can on the market. I'd still plan to use hearing protection most of the time. So....

Price cap is around 1200 or so. Ideally would like to keep the can around 6 inches.

Considerations:

Saker K 556- 14.7 ounces, 5.8 inches, stout build, pricey, modularity is a big plus, favorite so far

Specwar K- 13.7 ounces, 6.2 inches, solid build, great price, not very modular, least favorite so far

Another Omega- run dedicated on this gun with the direct thread configuration, 6.2 inches, under 14 ounces, rockset or something to keep it from backing off. 30 cal is a plus for future use. This would probably be the lightest since no flash hider.

Others? I lean toward silencerco due to the speq program essentially paying for the stamp. I like that all the above options could interchange using the ASR platform, but if I can find something else, I'm not opposed.

Thoughts? I certainly don't need another can, but I want one and this is America....

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Add the Rugged Suppressors Surge 7.62 and Razor 7.62 to your comparisons too. They don't have a SPEQ program, but should still fit in your parameters.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Add the Rugged Suppressors Surge 7.62 and Razor 7.62 to your comparisons too. They don't have a SPEQ program, but should still fit in your parameters.
    The surge would be out due to length, but the Razor has intrigued me. It's just hard to find a lot of comparisons or first hand reports or find them available either.... haha

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The Saker 556K is a cute little can if you're going for short size

What about a direct thread can? Gemtech Treks aren't very long and I still think some are floating around. And I know several people with Lane Scorpion 5.56s and they're pretty happy with them

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    The surge would be out due to length, but the Razor has intrigued me. It's just hard to find a lot of comparisons or first hand reports or find them available either.... haha

The surge is just neat because it can be two different sizes, just didn't know if the short configuration was short enough for you.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    GEMTECH Trek T. Direct threaded cans are shorter and lighter since there is no need for a muzzle device.

Apply some high temp Loctite on the threads and be done with it.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    The Saker 556K is a cute little can if you're going for short size

What about a direct thread can? Gemtech Treks aren't very long and I still think some are floating around. And I know several people with Lane Scorpion 5.56s and they're pretty happy with them
    I hadn't thought much about direct thread, but I certainly wouldn't oppose it. I did a quick search which showed the original Trek with a 17.3 weight, and a titanium version weighing 10.3. If I'm going direct thread, 17 ounces is pretty heavy. The titanium one seemed a bit pricey, with silencershop showing $975.

I've also been eyeing the Griffin M4SD-K. 14.5 ounces, 5.75 length, and uses A2 style flash hider attachments...

Last edited:

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Ever consider Sig suppressors? They have a LEO program like Silencerco (which is one reason I've been looking into them), and would be WELL under your price cap. Their 556 titanium direct thread can is 6.4" and 9.8oz which is at the long end of the others you've talked about but makes up for it in weight. I don't have any firsthand experience with them since they're new to the suppressor market but their LEO prices sure do make them intriguing.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Ever consider Sig suppressors? They have a LEO program like Silencerco (which is one reason I've been looking into them), and would be WELL under your price cap. Their 556 titanium direct thread can is 6.4" and 9.8oz which is at the long end of the others you've talked about but makes up for it in weight. I don't have any firsthand experience with them since they're new to the suppressor market but their LEO prices sure do make them intriguing.
    I haven't but will, thanks for the heads up. I'm just not sure if I want to take that much length despite the weight. My omega in direct thread is 6.2, though about 4 ounces heavier than that.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I tend to agree on K.I.S.S. approach with your duty weapon.

less moving parts, less things can go wrong.

Top Bottom